Author Topic: I went to the hospital...  (Read 13813 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: I went to the hospital...
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 12:28:11 pm »
Yea they said when I went to the hospital that night that I was a little dehydrated so I have been carrying around a 25 ounce mug full of water drinking it. 

Last night I had it beside the bed and after every contraction I would gulp it because I wanted to make sure I stayed hydrated. 

I am just nervous that I am not going to know when I am in labor and just think that I am having really bad Braxton Hicks.  o well I guess Hubby could deliver a baby if he needed to!!! :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 02:06:02 pm »
How far do you live from the hospital?  I ask b/c if it's more than a 15-20 minute drive, you may want to ask your dr what he/she recommends.  Those B-H can do a lot of the work ahead of time, but since this is your first baby & they usually take a bit longer, this may all even out anyway.  In any case, I don't think that you'll have any trouble figuring out when to go to the hospital and as always, if in doubt, go get checked out.  ;D  That's what the labor & delivery nurses are there for.   ;)  :) 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 02:20:34 pm »
The average labor of a first baby is 13 hours, I think. So, don't worry. Your hubby will not have to deliver the baby, and you WILL know when you are in real labor.

The contractions will become regular, increase in intensity, and become more frequent.

Definitely drink the water! It will help keep you hydrated and reduce contractions and also, you will SWEAT YOUR BOOTIE off when you're in labor! You'll need to be well-hydrated.

Try to relax during the contrax at night. You want to get as much rest as you can. If you've stayed up night after night for a couple of nights worrying about the contrax, you'll be exhausted when its time for the real thing.

RELAX GIRL! YOU WILL KNOW WHEN ITS TIME!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 02:28:53 pm »
How far do you live from the hospital?  I ask b/c if it's more than a 15-20 minute drive, you may want to ask your dr what he/she recommends.  Those B-H can do a lot of the work ahead of time, but since this is your first baby & they usually take a bit longer, this may all even out anyway.  In any case, I don't think that you'll have any trouble figuring out when to go to the hospital and as always, if in doubt, go get checked out.  ;D  That's what the labor & delivery nurses are there for.   ;)  :) 

I live about 30 mintues from the nearest hospital.  That is one of my biggest worries!! I am sure though that I will be fine.  Another thing that I have to make sure I get done in enough time is calling my family. 

My mother and two sisters are coming up for her birth but I am to call them when I am in labor.  I am nervous I wont call them in enough time or that it will be in the middle of the night and the ywill have to drive 5 hours at 2 in the morning. 

O well I just probably dont need to worry about it and just go with the flow!!! :D

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 02:31:48 pm »
When I was in labor with my first , I called my Mom who lived 9 hours away . She had enough time to get here , take a nap , visit with everyone , take the rest of the family out of dinner and still got bored waiting for my son to be born ! My labor was over 30 hours , and they've not gotten much shorter either (I've had 4)  ..... Oih !  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 02:47:09 pm »
HAHAH well that makesme feel better.  I mean I am not sure that I want to be in labor for 30 hours but I would like for my family to get here in plenty of time.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 05:03:14 am »
I think I would have died had any of mine been 30 hours! My first was only 8. And the last two were 2 and 3 hours.

How are you doing today with the CX?
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 06:31:37 am »
How are you doing today?!?! ANY BABY YET!!! I am so excitied for you! :) Sending some claming thoughts and prayers your way.... you will do great!!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 07:23:38 am »
NO!!!!!!  No baby yet!  :( :(  I have tried everything to "help" her along.  Unfortunaly there are no essential oil stores around here so I cant try that. 

I have walked at least 3 miles a day.  The dogs are about to kill me with that.  Now when I say lets go walk they all 3 go and get in thier crates.  I tried the having fun with hubby and nothing.  I even tried a little castor oil because I said something to my doctor about it and he siad that as long as I stayed hyrdated he would allow it. 

That was horrible.  It did give me contractions but I have had those anyways but it also gave me a horrible upset stomach.  The only thing left is spicy food and time!! 

You would just think though that she is ready to come out since I am 3 centimeters 70% effaced!!!!  She has a hold on my uterus and is just refusing to come out!!!!! >:(  She is probably thinking this woman is crazy why in the heck do I want to come out of my warm, cozy place!!!

Hopefully all of this will at least have made me dialate one more centimeter.  If I am 4 centimeters by wednesday at 10:30 they have no choice but to let me go in and break my water because I guess they cant let you wlak around like that. 

The bad thing is hubby is going out of town for 8 days on Thursday and he will be 7 hours away!!! If something happens I am going to be so scared!!  We have no family where we live just close friends.  The only way he gets to stay is if I have had the baby by then or am having it.

So does anyone know how to dialate 1 more centimeter? ;D Sorry so Long I just needed to let the frustration out!

Nicole

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 10:42:59 am »
WHAT?!

Who told you you can't walk around dialated to 4cm?!?!?! That is nuts! You can be dilated to 4cm for a MONTH and still not go into labor. And quite the opposite is true as well. I went to my midwife the day before I had Ethan. I was not even close to being dilated and my cervix was still thick. My midwife said I probably had a couple of weeks. Well, I had him the next day. The conditions of your cervix can change quickly or stay the same for weeks and even a month or so.

The amount that you are dilated and effaced has NOTHING to do with how close you are to labor. It also has no bearing on the health and saftey of you or your baby. Most docs won't let you go much more than 24 hours after your water has broken, but that is a totally different situation.

You're not even to 40 weeks yet! Don't stress it and don't hope for interventions like pitocin or having your water broken. The averagelength of a full-term first pregnancy is 41 weeks! You're still only at 37, right? You could have a full month to go yet. Baby will not stay in their too long, believe me. She also knows how much  more growing and developing she needs. Leave her in there as long as you can, mama! She needs it!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 11:59:13 am »
I am 38 weeks today.  I dont want to have my water broken or Pitocin at all.  I am just now getting nervous about hubby going out of town. 

Really they wont let you!!  When I went to the hospital for contractions a couple of days ago they told me that if I was 4 centimeters they would have to admit me if I were having contractions or not.

I am completely ok leaving her in there as long as possible I am just getting nervous about being alone when the big event does start. 

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 12:38:24 pm »

I am completely ok leaving her in there as long as possible I am just getting nervous about being alone when the big event does start. 

Ahhh, now I understand the hurry.  I am sooo sorry that your hubby has to be out of town right now.  That's really crappy & I wouldn't like it, either.   :(  Can one of your family or friends come to stay with you (at least at night) during the time that he's gone?  That might make you feel a little better.  Also, if you can plan a few quiet evenings with your friends while he's gone, that might help you, too.  Will your hubby be able to head straight back if you *do* go into labor while he's gone and will you be able to reach him easily?  If so, then that should help some anyway.  Now if your little girl is determined to stay inside for awhile longer, she must know what she's doing.  She's a smart little thing, like her Momma.  ;)  ;D  As I recall, she is putting on about 1/2 lb. a week right now, so maybe she needs to be a little bigger before she makes her debut.  Maybe you might want to change your strategy a little and now try taking it as easy as possible to keep her inside to 40 weeks or so until her Daddy gets home.  Just a thought...?  ((hugs))   ;)  :-*
Marie

And my pups:

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 12:47:22 pm »
Both of our families live far away and are going to come when I go into labor.  I am trying to schedule friends to stay but unfortunatley my best friend is going through a divorce and she has a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old and she doesnt want to bring them to stress me out. 

Hubby will be I think 7 hours away!  He has his cell phone and I am going to find out the hotel he is staying at to get that number also.  (He has a tendency to not wake up if his cell rings in the middle of the night) Yes, He will be able to leave if I go into labor but not until then.  But it will take him at least 7 hours to get back because he has to wait and make sure someone is on thier way to relieve him. 

I guess if  Igo into labor with no one here I can always call an ambulance. :-\

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 01:12:15 pm »
Oh honey, I'm so sorry that none of us are closer.  I'd help in a nanosecond!  I do sympathize with how you must feel.  We moved out of state & away from our families 3 y/o and though we have some really wonderful neighbors & some folks at church that would help if I needed it, I just don't feel comfortable asking.  My hubby travels sometimes too & I have a chronic health condition now, so I don't feel as comfortable being left alone with the kids, pups & kitties as I used to, though we do ok. 

Would your best friends kids be more likely to stress you out or would having them all around help more?  It really depends upon everyone concerned, but you might find the distraction of having 2 lively kids around to be welcome or maybe not?  If you've had childbirth classes, do you know anyone from the class that is close to your due date & off work awaiting the birth, or has time to visit?  I was on bed rest with my first pg & so was a friend from Lamaze, so we talked on the phone until we both were able to visit in person after 37 weeks.  That was a great distraction & good company for both of us.  In the meantime though, talk to us about it and we'll help make the time pass quickly while you wait for your hubby to get home.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 01:16:37 pm »
If you still have 2 weeks till your due date, don't worry. My first was 10 days late. And your dh having to go 2 weeks before your due is ok. He will come home and you still have a week left. Just stay calm. I know harder said than done. But remember that you can go 42 weeks. 40 is an average more or less.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08