Author Topic: Canidae: Change in Formula  (Read 26272 times)

marypyrs

Canidae: Change in Formula
« on: June 30, 2008, 05:11:32 pm »
FYI. Upcoming changes in Canidae formulations from The Dog Food Project today. 06/30/08

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Canidae: Change in Formula
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:17:54 pm »
Wow glad I stopped feeding it months ago or I'd be out looking for a new food. The Chicken and Rice is now pretty much Grain and Chicken. Shame but I think its a sign of the times if they don't want their food to be as expensive as the other brands they had to cut from somewhere.

Old: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat
New: Chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, cracked pearled barley, peas, chicken fat
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:19:58 pm by VdogLover »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:24:33 pm »
Crap - that is what I feed Harley and he has a sensative stomach - I know they had already changed the lamb formula because there are signs hanging all over the shelves - apparently a womans great dane got the runs and made quite a mess in her house and she was livid that the store didn't tell her so now they have signs and tell people - but at the time they hadn't changed the chicken or all stages which is what we alternate between.

What other foods are you consider feeding?

Randy and Harley

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:16:57 pm »
I am feeding California Naturals Lamb and Rice.
I switched a while back...Got sick of the on and off loose stools and dry skin my dogs got while they were on Canidae.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 08:00:54 am »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! They are also changing the cat food!  >:( Great... UGH

Looks like all the dry formulas are changing. >:(

http://www.canidae.com/new-formulas.html

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:12:04 am »
Hi,

I am going to try the new formula and see how it goes. Wisnslow is not food sensitive but if his coat and bodily functions change noticably  I'll be moving to something different.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:14:01 am »
Wow--that's not a minor change at all!  I really don't like seeing all those additional grains in there.  I also wonder why they cut out all the chelated minerals?  This may be "new" but it certainly doesn't look like "improved" to me.  Too bad.  I have recommended Canidae many times, but I can't recommend this new formula. :-\

The people we get our canidae from actually told us about the change about a month ago and I have to say that it's been a bumpy ride.  The stool is soft and very light in color and well, they are all pretty gassy now.  We are actually considering switching the food to California Natural but I did want to talk to you, first Holly and get your thoughts.  So, I guess we'll be making the switch as I think I now know your thoughts.  Oh well.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:23:56 am »
I just read on 'our dogs online' that dry Canidae will now be made by Diamond.  :o I will not feed anything from Diamond or made by Diamond. So Canidae has been completely scratched off my list now.

I wonder though if the formula change has anything to do with the Diamond making their food?

Here's their email response when someone emailed them in regards to hearing Diamond was making their food.

"""Due to overwhelming customer support and increased demand on our products, we have been faced with unique production capacity challenges. Our growing customer support and demand has pushed for increased capacity, therefore we have outsourced additional production from Diamond Pet Foods. Our customers demand and deserve no less than the highest quality safe ingredients, as well as state of the art consistent manufacturing. Outsourcing additional production from Diamond comes not without first carefully instating and accepting only the strictest testing protocols, as well as mandating stringent operating procedures to ensure the highest quality products possible at every level of production. We are very happy with this relationship and the high quality formulations we are able to bring to you.

Expect Excellence!
Sincerely,
Team Canidae

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:29:48 am »
They seemed to have joined in with many of the other companies including Solid Gold. Last I heard from the guy at the feed store Diamond was now making 8 of the foods on the market.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:42:59 am »
Diamond makes Solid Gold?????

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 09:46:35 am »
Yes..that came out when WDJ left them off their 2008 list. Solid Gold did not want to say where their food was made which is now required in order to make the WDJ list. Later they disclosed where they now make it.
This is rather common...for small good companies to later outsource the "processing" of their foods to larger companies.

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/petfoods_pg3.htm

Solid Gold Health Food for Pets (verified by company 4/17/07)

Only brand is Solid Gold

No products made by Menu Foods

Dry food made by Diamond, in Meta, Mo and Lathrop, CA

Canned foods are made by Blue Sky Pet Foods

We have no wheat gluten, nor rice protein concentrate. We use only whole unprocessed grains or bran, not gluten.
With 3 exceptions, all ingredients are from domestic sources. Lamb comes from New Zealand, tuna is caught & canned offshore, and the potato protein in the Barking at the Moon high performance food comes from Europe.
Company is individually owned by the founder of Solid Gold, Sissy McGill. (no parent company)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:52:07 am by VdogLover »

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 09:51:40 am »
Yes..that came out when WDJ left them off their 2008 list. Solid Gold did not want to say where their food was made which is now required in order to make the WDJ list. Later they disclosed where they now make it.
This is rather common...for small good companies to later outsource the "processing" of their foods to larger companies.
So is it bad to feed Solid Gold...we feed Titan the Wolf King but never heard of Diamond before. I was out of the dog food group for a while (without a dog for several years)?!?

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 09:57:36 am »
I'm not saying being made by Diamond is a bad thing or not. 
Just many people say they will "not use food made by Daimond" after a few years ago when their food killed over 100 dogs (I think it was can be found on the net).
It has only been recently, after the menu food issue, that people have now found out the food they were feeding was indeed made at Diamond plants. So people who had the strong opinion about foods made by Diamond are not always happy to find out their food also falls in that group.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 10:25:26 am »
Thanks for the information! I will read more about it. Titan has such BAD allergies and an extreamly sensitive gut. So to FINALLY find a food that agrees with him in all the right ways ;) (stool, hives, vomitting) is a great relief for us and him! But I will keep my eyes open for anything questionable. Thanks again appreciate it! :)

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:13:09 pm »
We feed our dogs Diamond Maintenance dog food and they seem to be doing fine on it. Their coats are nice,shiny and soft and they all seem really healthy. The only con is it making the doxies a little on the fat side. But, Tank is doing great and is at a perfect weight! We used to feed Chicken Soup and they did really good on that is just made there stool loose. They have not had loose stool since we switched them over to the new food which is weird since it is made by the same company. What are some good dogs foods that are not so expensive??
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:13:47 pm by KatysTank »