Author Topic: Canidae: Change in Formula  (Read 26682 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Canidae: Change in Formula
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 07:21:03 pm »
We actually jsut bought our first bag of Diamond dog food for a while.  We stopped buying it after everything that happened.   I believe it was rotten corn meal or something. 

We got the Diamond High Energy considering we have a Wiem and two springers.  I will let yall know how we like it. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 11:02:15 am »
Good Grief!

I started feeding Canidae ALS about two months ago after taking Tink of IAMS Smart Puppy becuase she got really sick off a "bad bag". Now what?

I even got Canidae to send me som $2 off coupons and a rebate book.

What do you suggest for an 87lb 6 month old in the same price range. I would really love and appreciate the advice.

Thanks.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

marypyrs

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 12:07:08 pm »
I mentioned this on another thread too - but I switched some time ago after having sworn by SG for YEARS from Solid Gold Wolf King (And Solid Gold Wolf Cub for puppy) when Rain started having major digestive problems. I, too, saw a difference in their kibble and the way it smelled. Called the Company several times and also emailed them. No answers back and no calles returned so I did a little research on my own and found that they had indeed changed the formula as well as their Manufacturer.

In the mean time I started feeding only my home cooked formula and took Holly's advice on Innova & EVO and mixed that in gradually. Innova Large Breed for Whisper because he's less than two years old and EVO for Rainbow. They are thriving and NO MORE tummy issues.

It's quite costly, but when you consider an additional $10 to $20 over a months time - that's not all that much. Health matters. And I suppose we could compare pet food costs to human food costs and see that they're pretty much in line.

I still watch the dog food industy like a hawk.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:04:28 pm by marypyrs »

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 12:39:36 pm »
Just a tid bit of info:
I was curious yesturday after finding that Solid Gold is made by Diamond; so I decided to email the company.
This is the response I recived; and I think ment all of my inquiry about where the food is made and how what types of precautions are being taken since the the doog foor scare also included Diamond.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Diamond makes our food in their Meta, MO and Lathrop, CA plants, not in the South Carolina plant where the Aflatoxin issue happened. They manufacture to our specifications and quality standards and the food is tested thoroughly before and after processing to ensure quality and safety.

The food is tested before and after manufacture by Diamond and by Solid Gold independently.

Many dog food companies will employ a third party to manufacture their food as it is cost prohibitive for small companies such as ours to own and operate a mill.

Best regards,

Solid Gold

Just thought I would share. :)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 02:12:04 pm »
I'm wondering if I somehow ended up with a bag of the new Canidae already.   >:(

Raja threw up Wednesday night (granted, I'm thinking she also got into something that she shouldn't have).  She had previously (new dog food bag) not eaten with her usual zest and instead just picked at her food.  Thursday am she refused her food altogether, I called the Vet and he mentioned that some bugs were going around and we decided to wait and see.

Today, after observing no more vomiting (since Wed.), normal stools and urination, she still wouldn't eat.  I ran to the grocery store (all the local pet stores are closed due to the 4th) and ended up buying some canned IAMS and chicken broth out of desperation.  She gobbled both down, but still will only pick at the Canidae dry food.

She is the smarter, more observant, dog of the three (the other two are wolfing it down like normal). I'm thinking something is up.  >:(

On the bright side, I'm glad to have figured out that she isn't dying - as was my first thought when she refused food!
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 06:07:27 pm »
I was right, I have a new bag of Canidae, purchased less than a week ago.  The big bags were the first to change over, per my pet store. 

Raja will NOT eat it.  I problem solved with the pet store (who did point out that Canidae's new formula now makes it almost identical to Solid Gold).  They suggested California Naturals as the closest alternative, but my husband went into cardiac arrest at the price.

I ended up buying Premium Edge.  Yes, I know it's a Diamond product.  It doesn't seem to be quite up to par with Canidae's former ingredients, but it does seem to be a little bit better than their new formula.  And Raja wolfed it down, finally ending the dry food hunger strike (and has yet to get sick, I cringed at starting her on it cold like that).  Anyone have any experience with Premium Edge?

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 06:36:40 pm »
Does your bag of Canidae that's making her sick have the old ingredient list or the now updated one?

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 06:59:15 pm »
We feed everyone canidae and we have not had any issues yet. BUT...i think that the store we get it from does not have the new stuff yet. PLUS...the cost of canidae at this particular store is $20 for the 30-40 lb bag. We travel from MA to NH for this store because of the cost. Around here the cost of it is $50 or so.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 07:02:37 pm »
We feed everyone canidae and we have not had any issues yet. BUT...i think that the store we get it from does not have the new stuff yet. PLUS...the cost of canidae at this particular store is $20 for the 30-40 lb bag. We travel from MA to NH for this store because of the cost. Around here the cost of it is $50 or so.

WOW :o 20.00 a bag. I can't even find Pedigree for that little amount.

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 08:55:09 am »
Does your bag of Canidae that's making her sick have the old ingredient list or the now updated one?

It is the updated one.  As I said, it didn't dawn on me what the problem was at first, I just thought she was sick. And likely, she was a bit sick at the time.  But, she is also just plain ole refusing to eat the new formula.  So, I'm not blaming her sickness on it, but it does seem that a new dog food is in my future.  The other two dogs could care less though.  Raja is very observant, can't get much past her.  For curiosity's sake (since she has been wolfing down the Premium Edge food), I just tried a bowl of Canidae with her again.  She wouldn't touch it.  Gave her a bowl of PE, and she wolfed it down.  I guess it's time to start switching the family over.   :(

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 01:10:58 pm »
Well, since your original post I have tried to wean Kana off of Canidae.  He has done SO well on it since a pup and I hate to change~
We introduced EVO no grain beef for 2 consecutive months about 3 months ago. He did really well and actually stayed satisfied so much longer (obviously b/c of all of the protein).  Now I went to get a big bag of that to replace the Canidae but...THE PRICE WENT UP TO $65 for 20# bag!!!! Oh my gosh...
Then I looked in the high protein/no grain area and found Taste of the Wild (?)...it has a bear and a wild dog on the light blue bag.  Since we introduced that I have seen Kana itching a lot. It's been about 4 days (mixed with the old Canidae) since we started him on that. 
My question is...should I try to wait out the itching or just switch foods right away?  He has experienced seasonal allergies the last 2 summers, so this comes at a confusing time. 
Help! 
Kristen ???
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 11:42:36 am »
That's gotta be it!  Naja has been having soft and runny poops alot lately, and hasen't been getting into anything.  Looks like it's time to switch.  :(
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 12:15:09 pm »
GRRR!!  After everything I went through to choose a food for Sierra!  I'm going to go home and check for sure, but I believe the 40 lb bag we had for her was the old formula because we've had it forever.  We free-feed because Sierra sometimes will go a day or so without eating anything and then the next eating everything in sight.  It's working for her, she's at a perfect weight, so we're not worried about her habits right now.  Anyway, it took her forever to go through the bag.  The last bag I got was a 20 lb because the store was out of big ones.  If the change is starting with the bigger bags, maybe we got lucky.

I was blessed to get a dog without a sensitive belly, so I'm not worried about issues with switching her, just the aggravation of searching for another dog food I am comfortable giving her.  There were a few other brands that I felt pretty good about, so I guess it comes down to which one won't destroy my wallet.

If Sierra knew what I go through for her, maybe she wouldn't get into so much trouble!!   ;D

Modified because I'm a dork and can't spell.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:13:40 pm by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 10:21:57 am »
Hi,

Well I am into the first bag of new formula, (by the way the formula isn't the only new thing) THE BAG IS 5LBS smaller, and priced a bit higher than the old formula  ??? ::)so where is the savings that prompted the change!!

Well Winslow seems to like it, actually a bit more than the old version, :P Everything seems fine going in and comming out!!

Anyone else try the new version???
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 11:59:05 am »
I'm going to the feed store today - I don't know if they will have the old or new formula - I will report back with any new food issues - (Harley does have a kind of sensative stomach!!)

Randy