Author Topic: Is My Dane pup odd? suggestions  (Read 3756 times)

Offline kcurly

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Is My Dane pup odd? suggestions
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:16:29 pm »
Hi,

My female Dane pup Luna (just turned one)is interesting. I adopted her from her 1st owners at about 4 months old. They got her at 10ish weeks. They had an 8 month old male Dane pup that was 120 at 8 months. The male was very aggressively playful and constantly pounced on Luna. She began to get very fearful/withdrawn. They said she was not like this at first. They decided to give her up so as not to "ruin" her personality.

When I brought her home she immediately chose my 1 1/2 (altered) year old male Pitt to play with & ignores my then 2 1/2 year old Dane (altered) for play. She does prefer to sleep/cuddle with my male Dane.
She has never played with people just comes to me for hugs. She was always very calm as a puppy and didn't do zoomies or other silly puppy stuff. She is my velcro dog and follows me into the bathroom & squeezes under my computer desk. After a year she is still afraid of my husband. She is afraid of everything including the new dog pillow I got for her crate. Although she is not afraid of Riley the Pitt who is the alpha.

Any ideas on how to make her less fearful? Other suggestions?  Thanks

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Is My Dane pup odd? suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:33:30 am »
Sounds like she is just "reserved" with new things.

Pillow - try placing treats on it or feeding her near it. Do your other dogs like it? Have them sleep on it, the more they do, the more it will smell like them and less like a new pillow.

Husband - Pet and hug her together, walk her together and then make him her primary care giver for awhile. He feeds, give treats, walks, pets, etc. Remove yourself as her care-giver for awhile and she should warm up to him.

Try not to anticipate her being fearful. Dogs sense what we think/feel. Potray confidence and calm when introducing new things/people. If her pack leader is confident and unafraid, she will eventually pick up on it. She will look to you to see how to behave.

Hope this helps.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)