Author Topic: Pup Daddy!  (Read 4263 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Pup Daddy!
« on: August 07, 2005, 08:55:20 pm »
I am just wondering if you will tell us about SPIN...TY!

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
Re: Pup Daddy!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 12:13:00 am »
SPIN - Saving Pyrs In Need www.geocities.com/savingpyrsinneed

SPIN was formed about two years ago by Pyr lovers in the Dallas area. I found them in January.

I had never heard of Great Pyrenees until three years ago. My neighbor told me Mr. & Mrs. Wilson had a new dog, Monique. My old dog, a chow mix, Buddy Boy and I went for a look.   Monique was lying right by the chain link fence. I thought she was huge, the biggest white thing I had ever seen. I realize now she was just a big puppy then. She looked at us and started howling bloody murder! You would have though I had stabbed her with a knife. lol

Well, over the next few years, we got to know each other. She came to the fence to get her daily petting (well, when she got off her lazy Pyr butt!) I came home from work one night in a blizzard, 2 inches of snow on the road, visibility down to 100 feet (I'm in Texas, that IS a blizzard here) and Monique goes bouncing in front of me. I don't think I've ever seen a dog so happy. I couldn't catch her, but I did herd back home. The Wilson's were an older couple and didn't ever dare to try to chase her down. I fell in love with the breed, but I had my dog.

On New Years Eve Buddy Boy was scared by fireworks, jumped the fence and got hit on the major street closest to me. The only three times he ever ran away was caused by fireworks. I was crushed, but knew I needed another dog. I was checking Petfinders by zip code, and found SPIN right here in Garland. I knew right then I would have a Pyr of my own.

I chose Earl because of one special thing, he had bad hips. His Petfinder picture was a scruffy yawning dog which was appealing also, but I knew he wouldn't, couldn't jump my fence.

I was so impressed with Cindy and Alice who did the home visit, and dealing with Nancy who took the application and emailed back and forth with me, that I asked how I could help the organization. That was January. Kendra came to me as a foster in February, and I fostered her until another application came in for her, then she became mine.

Since then I've had a stream of fosters: Honey, JR, Honey (again), Shaggy, Miller, Deuce, Cassie, and Fluffy.

I'm also the unofficial photographer for SPIN. LOL, you can all tell how much I enjoy taking pictures of my dogs. I'd never even dream of talking about a dog on this forum, using words to describe a Pyr puppy, whet everyone appetite with stories, and then NOT HAVE A CAMERA TO TAKE PIPPIN'S PICTURE!!!!!

But, I digress!

Pyrs and Pyr mixes, (or any Big White Dog) are eligible for our program. SPIN fully vets all of its dogs, and temperament tests them, before adopting them. An average on one per month has to be taken through heartworm treatment. Another one per month has additional medical problems. This spring has been tough, we've lost three Pyrs to distemper, and two to temperament issues.

Our resounding success this year has been the Tiny Tim Fund. Tiny Tim (TT) had to have his front left leg removed because of a birth defect. We raised enough money to pay his entire medical bill, and had a good start on enough funds for out next special need Pyr, Stella. Stella had her hip replaced about the 23rd of June. Unfortunately, she had to go back last week and have the surgery redone; her tight old muscles pulled the new hip part off of her bone. We've got fund raising events planned, but need cash now (Hint Hint). Of course, using this forum to solicit donations would be a violation of the BPO rules, so I'd never ask for a donation when I could just tell you that you can help us out by going to www.geocities.com/tinytimfund/ or http://www.geocities.com/tinytimfund/donate.html

Ok, it's 1:04 am, I've got to be up in 6 hours. Thanks for asking about SPIN, Gypsy, and I'm sorry about the camera rant!

And below, this is the reward I get for rescuing!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 08:35:56 am by wlemons »

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 12:32:51 am »
Camera rant?...Spin info??...I just see a pile o' pups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...lol...My digi cam will be here soon...You'll choke on all the pics...lol...P ippin is fine & well & just recently ate a bag of cat poop...He is fitting in well...lol...G od bless you for doing what you do P. Daddy!! ;D ;D :D ;) :) ;D

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 05:10:45 am »
Wlemons ..You have a huge heart . It is a great thing that this world has people like you in it. ;D

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 09:18:08 pm »
Kudo's to you and SPIN. Wish I lived closer so I could help but I will try to see what I can help w/ around home.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 09:46:27 pm »
Thank you so much for telling us about SPIN and for sharing your story!  We're far away too (California), but this makes me want to help close to home...

Best wishes,
Jessica

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 10:02:01 pm »
Thank you so much for telling us about SPIN and for sharing your story!  We're far away too (California), but this makes me want to help close to home...

Best wishes,
Jessica
Check out this group, they are BPO members
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,2333.0.html