Author Topic: Roughly how long does it take to potty train?  (Read 9647 times)

Offline LadyAngeni

• Gnawer
  • She got her own couch... LOL
    • View Profile
Roughly how long does it take to potty train?
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:25:56 am »
??? Coley, is a 7 weeks old puppy, she barely barks or even let us know when she has to go. The mother's owners didnt help much either because they let them go where ever they please in the house and when they got too big for the house they started to leave them outside in the yard. And I have been reading some of the posts on here about house breaking and potty trainning, hearing 2 months or 8 months to year... So does it depend on dog or is it more like trying to potty train a kid in a doggy outfit? LOL This is my first puppy trying to house break. I had Husky Wolf Crosses before but they stay outside in a kennel because my ex didnt like big paws inside so Im a first timer in this area.
Yours Truly,
Angeni & Coley

~*~Coley is a 9 months old female Husky Cross~*~

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Roughly how long does it take to potty train?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:35:45 am »
We use the crate training method.  Thank god that ours have all taken to it VERY quickly.  But every dog is different.  We just simply take them out everytime they are let out of thier crates and treat heavily for going outside. 

I also use an umbilical leash which attaches to you and the puppy so that way when you cant keep 100% of an eye on the baby. they are 5 feet from you at all times and you can catch them before they do anything inside.

That has always worked for us (at least with our last 3). I dont really considered my dogs completely housetrained until they havent had accidents or anything for awhile. They also need to "tell" us they need to go out. We use a bell.   
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline LadyAngeni

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:23:52 am »
Well, technically we was suppose to pick her up on July 13th when she turn 2 months old, but the mother's owners to them this was a surprise preg with their two dogs. They already had the limit of pets they could have in the household so when they said she wasnt breast feeding anymore and on solid foods we could take her, other wise if they didnt get them gone quick SPCA would take them because one of their neighbours rat them out. We didnt think it would effect how she would learn and train. Its bad enough they had to give up the father too. But thanks for the information, and I will take it slowly with her, even thou she is one smart pup. LOL
Yours Truly,
Angeni & Coley

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:47:12 am »
Here's a rather nice site for reference when house training dogs and puppies. I especially like the "Ten Commandments For Housbreaking".  :)

http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/

Offline LadyAngeni

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:17:33 pm »
It's okay people always mistake her for a male because I have a blue scarf on her now to match her eyes. LOL
Yours Truly,
Angeni & Coley

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 08:23:54 pm »
potty training depends on the dog.  Grace didn't bark to go out either.  she stood at the edge of the couch (in the blind spot of course) and stared at me eagarly.  she still does that too.  I think she thinks we can if she thinks really loud i'll hear her telling me she has to go. 
I paid attention to her body language.  she would wiggle a lot more when she needed to go out...and sometimes mid run to the door, squat. 
normally when i potty train a puppy, i take them out a lot in the beginning even if they don't need to go because 9 times out of 10 they will tinkle a little when they are out.  then i'd give them a treat.  i've usually had good luck with that practice.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:26:18 pm »
I really thinks it has to do with how diligent you are as well as the dog.  Some pick up on it much faster than others.
I really don't remember how long it took with Keiko (she's 10 so it's been awhile........ .lol) but gunther picked it up rather quickly.  Of course I was working out of the home at the time and I did the every hour on the hour "outside" time, gradually lengthening the time every 5 days or so.  
Nigel and Posey took forever.  We moved shortly after getting them and they completely forgot everything.  So they weren't fully potty trained until they were around a year old and even then were still having accidents if no one was paying attention.

Offline LadyAngeni

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:39:45 am »
Its been a rough couple of days, but with my husband having an injuried leg and me still having to go to work its been hard trying to do the hour on the hour, but its seem she is getting closer to the door with the accidents.
Yours Truly,
Angeni & Coley

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:50:07 pm »
Its been a rough couple of days, but with my husband having an injuried leg and me still having to go to work its been hard trying to do the hour on the hour, but its seem she is getting closer to the door with the accidents.

That is a good sign!  Puppies are frustrating, just think of them as newborn human babies.  Most training literature that I have read states that they really aren't capable of having much bladder control until they are about three months old.  As has been pointed out, that isn't to say that you can't work on reinforcing good behavior now and taking preventative measures.  Just remember, that her accidents are really your accidents.  That helped to relieve some of my frustration with Bo.

Bo is our only puppy raised dog, and we were lucky that he caught on really quick.  But as an 8 week old, even with crate training in place, it involved my husband and I taking turns getting up in the night (we set the alarm clock).  And we didn't let him walk to the door at that precious several week old age, we carried him and ran to it!  We also rotated coming home from work on breaks.  Eventually, as he got a little older we were able to get it down to me just running home to let him out on my lunch break.  We're lucky though as my husband and I don't work the exact same hours, they are only home alone about 6 hours a day total.  Good luck, and remember that it won't last forever!
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

jesday

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 07:24:39 pm »
One tip with the training. Every time you take her out, tell her to 'go potty' or whatever words you want. And again when you see her doing so. She will soon make the connection and you will be able to tell her to go potty on command. Very convenient on rainy days.  ;)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 05:48:57 pm »
One tip with the training. Every time you take her out, tell her to 'go potty' or whatever words you want. And again when you see her doing so. She will soon make the connection and you will be able to tell her to go potty on command. Very convenient on rainy days.  ;)

Yes, and on road trips!  Raja is a shy one when it comes to going to the bathroom.  It seemed like it took us forever to teach her to "go potty."
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP