Author Topic: Nutering a big boy  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Nutering a big boy
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:23:33 pm »
Hi,

Well Winslow turned three on Saturday. He still is "intact" When he got his summer shots i got a quote for him to be "fixed"

The quote was $945.00 :o Needless to say that is quite a bit more than I'd like to pay. The reason for the high cost ( besides him being 140 lbs) was some additional work on the "scrotal sack" is necessary since his "boys have dropped" and fixing that area is necessary to minimize  infection and swelling of the area.

I like my vet but I just can't afford to pay that much. Anyone have a suggestion on other options. He isn't going to be bred.

We are in the Boston Area.

(modified so I can get response alerts)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 02:24:09 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
Re: Nutering a big boy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:26:51 pm »
Holy scrotal sacks!  That is rather expensive.  I'm not planning on breeding mine so I'm going to make sure to get him fixed before the boys drop.  Dont know what suggestions to give as I wouldn't shop around for price unless you know reputation of the Vet.  If you have waited this long and there is no risk of him getting to a female in heat is it neccessary to have it done?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »
Sheesh! I can't believe the amount of the surgery!! We had Bear done this past March because we never plan on breeding him but he drove me nuts for the first time ever and it became mandatory in LA to do it. SO, we called many places- yes I love my vet too but wasn't about to do it for $700 and that was the cheapest we could find. Mind you, his balls were fully grown.  ;) We ended up getting it done at a low cost clinic for $150 and they did a terrific job. He healed so quickly I thought they did something wrong.  :D I haven't heard about surgery to alter the sac but his sac was empty and long right after but has since shrunk a good amount. However, he has the long Newf hair on the back of his legs and so you can't tell anything is there or missing at all. Good luck!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:03:05 pm »
You can check into a Vasectomy. See what the price of that is.
the price for neutering seems a little out there. And needing extra to repair the sac? Never heard of it.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:17:53 pm »
$945! :o

When we neutered Bubba back in April it cost us $200. My vet originally quoted me $280 but the $80 was to remove his rear dewclaws which we decided not to remove.

Bubba has quite a bit of hanging skin back there too.. It never caused him any problem in the healing process. I dunno that sounds odd to me, like your vet is just trying to get more money out of you. :-\

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 05:48:45 pm »
I had Gage done on Thursday, and it cost me just over 500, and i live in a really expensive part of Alberta.  I have never heard of doing anything with the sac either, Gages is just shrinking, and his boys and defiantly dropped.  I was told that it would cost more if they are not descended because they have to retrieve them.  Personally I would talk to other vets, and look into a low cost spay neuter clinic, call your SPCA they will most likely know about them.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:11:15 pm »
Hi,

Thanks everyone!! I will definately make some calls. I do like my vet very much, I don't think they were running up the bill, but I'll call them and ask if I maybe missed heard something  ;) you know give them a chance to fix their mistake  ::). I have no real female issues I am just noticing a little more agression around other puppers lately and have a feeling it is the testosterone thing. 

I will certainly let you know what happens. Just glad to hear my sticker shock wasn't out of wack!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 07:15:35 pm »
Shop around, for sure. My old retired greyhound hadn't been fixed until he was 5 and was retired. His sacks hung like empty little pillowcases for about 2 years and over that time, the skin just kind of shrunk in or something. I'd check out other places. Even your local humane society may have a spay/neuter clinic for people. Kai got spayed today and the grand total including pain meds, e collar, anesthesia and whatever else, was UNDER $300. And that's for a spay - all that internal digging around. Nueterind seems like it would be a way less complicated procedure.I live in Northern California, where NOTHING is cheap!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Gentian

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 06:16:00 am »
I worked at a vet clinic (in an affluent area) for a couple of years, and never, ever was a neuter even close to that expensive.

My golden-sized mixed breed was neutered at 7. He still has a bit of an empty sac that I have to watch when I groom him, but otherwise, it doesn't cause any problems and didn't when healing either. Swelling will happen post-op, especially if he comes right out of the clinic bouncing around like a rubber ball. If you keep him quiet for a few days, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:52:04 pm »
Okay, 20 plus years working in a vet hospital so here's the skinny. When they remove the sac tissue it's called a 'scrotal ablation'. Often times the really big boys   :)will get a lot of swelling and serous discharge filling the sac when a routine neuter is done. Too much activity too soon, will aggravate this. It can take quite a while to re-absorb this fluid. The size and weight of all this can be very uncomfortable. It also can promote infection because the increased fluid retention and consequent drainage makes it easier to transfer bacteria. Also the dog is more likely to keep licking at the site to try to alleviate the gross discomfort, another source of bacteria. If you are very careful about enforcing an absoloute minimum of activity and using an e-collar and doing frequent cold compresses to the sac you can probably avoid the 'extra' surgery. Remember though, the cost of treating a nasty infection could conceivably eat up the money the routine neuter saved you. With the ablation these effects are greatly minimized. However, I don't know what the going rate is in your area, but that price is a good deal higher than what my doctors charged their clients and they were by no means 'low cost' vets.
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 02:18:11 pm »
Hi,

Yup that was the term my vet used for the extra bucks 'scrotal ablation' Haven't shopped around yet but will be starting that process after the holiday weekend!!
We're going camping!! Me, Winslow (and his boys) a few friends for a long weekend at this place. We'll worry about this next week ;-)

http://www.sevenmaples.com/

Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:36:32 pm »
Check your voicemail Rich.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 11:37:44 am »
I live in MA too...try going to slade vet clinic in framingham...t hey are reasonable there....plus they are a holistic and yet traditional at the same time.  They are wonderful there. There is a vet who breeds bullmastiffs there, they are GREAT with the giant breeds

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Nutering a big boy Update
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 03:17:57 pm »
Hi,

Ok I have another consult with My Vet for thursday to see if a Scrotal Ablation is really necessary, even the tech I spoke with thought the $945 was high and that I probably got a quote "on the high side" just to cover things in case it was needed. So I am meeting with the head guy who would do the procedure to See what he thinks!! ::)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:18:21 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 07:04:16 pm »
HOLY MOLY that is expensive.  We got Bell and Baxter spayed and nuetered at the same time in March.  Both of them together plus shots and boarding because we had to go out of town was 500. 

I would definatley look around.  Actually here in georgia we have Buddy car tags that are for the SPCA. Every vet clinic gets an X amount of spays and nueter discounts from the money for the tags.  We waited 3 months and were able to get a discount.  It took I think about 120 of each dog.  We are already on the waiting list agian for Buble.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel