Author Topic: Oh where oh where can prescriptions be...  (Read 6340 times)

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
Oh where oh where can prescriptions be...
« on: July 09, 2008, 11:21:52 am »
All you musically minded people read that topic in a sing song voice... :) - Anyway, after ordering the furminator and the Derm Caps and the frontline plus online- I was still irritated that I couldnt get the heartowrm preventative, interceptor on line. My vet will NOT give a prescription to order them online. They say that there are so many lawsuits right now pending against various online companies from owners whose dogs didnt benefit from the drug they got online. I guess they claim they are a different formula or past the due date. Anyway, I think there is something to be said that the vet needs to make some money and they mark the prescriptions up to make a profit. With numerous and Large dogs, it can get costly and I am sure we all would like to save as much as we can. Anyway, we found a website that ships prescriptions from Australia without a prescription from your vet. My dad has been getting all his meds from there. I on the other hand am nervous and still shell out the dough at the vet. What have you guys heard on this issue? Where do you get your heartworm preventative?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:24:34 am by kealoha812 »
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Oh where oh where can prescriptions be...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:32:55 pm »
It is your choice where you purchase your dogs medicines. It does not have to be from the vet. Our vet price matches so we have no issues with it, as your vet if they will do that.  We ended up saving over $300 for both heartworm and frontline by me looking online and compareing prices. I just had to print out the ad and bring it is and wolla...there we go... Our vet wanted $170 for interceptor for a 6 pack!!! So we found it for $50 online, and that is what we paid at our vet!!! good luck

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:39 pm »
I may be mistaken, but I thought it was illegal for a vet to refuse to write a prescription when asked?

Any how...

What your vet is speaking of is a certain company that was selling expired drugs. All you need to do is order from a company whose pharmacy is licensed some includes..

www.kvvet.com info here:
http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/dept.asp?dept_id=178&mscssid=CE58F7A8AD0A4D5BB77DB551EE7F2BB0&Gift=false&GiftID=

Foster and Smith info here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/General.cfm?c=9547&gid=201

There are many others who are licensed.

As for the HW pills.... It is my understanding one also does not need a prescription in Canada to get the meds either. Seem to only be a US vet thing. I order Iverhart plus 14.95 for 6 months supply.
Personally I would find a new vet if he will not supply me with a prescription.. .
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:45:01 pm by VdogLover »

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:09 pm »
Yep they are OTC in Canada http://www.canadavet.com/Heartworm.cfm

Can anyone in Canada tell me if there are stores you go to buy heartworm pills? Like are they sold at a pet store?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:26:51 pm by VdogLover »