Author Topic: Allergy Testing Costs?  (Read 6123 times)

DenverFurKiddos

Allergy Testing Costs?
« on: July 07, 2008, 06:11:35 am »
Winston just got back from his second vet visit in two weeks....darn allergies!  He's been chewing his feet like crazy and he had a corresponding ear infection, and weird sores (from scratching) around his mouth.  After a steroid injection, medicated towelettes, ear medicine, and oral antibiotics, he did great!  But, on Saturday, the chewing started again:( 

The vet put him on an oral dosage of Predisone, but suggested that if the allergies continue that it will be important to do allergy testing then corresponding  treatment. 

Anyone have any guesses about the costs of allergy testing/treatment? 

Thanks!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Allergy Testing Costs?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:14:47 am »
In our area (MD) it's $400 plus the initial consultation $95  :o :o :o
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 06:47:56 am »
Oh my!!!!  Let's hope it's less pricey in the midwest!!!!!

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:16:03 am »
yep, about the same here in Indiana. My fathers newf mix used to get shots daily. I do have to say though that some experimentatio n on their part has really helped. They now give him 6 benadryl each day and he is no longer itching! The shots and prrenizone didn't help much and were unbelievably pricey! My newf mix develops a red rash all over his stomach when he eats beef. And it is in everything! So he is now on lamb and rice and has no treats with beef in them. He is clear and has stayed that way. My golden also has bad allergies. We had constant yeast infections in her ears and with giving her claritin each day, she is clear now too! So there are other options for treatment once you find out what the cause is... Good luck and keep us posted! Kisses for Winston!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

jesday

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:45:50 am »
Don't know what steps you've taken so far, but the cheapest is to start with changing his diet. My vet thought our Newf/Lab mix was allergic to grasses. Same bad feet problems and cortizone shots. When we moved our new vet suggested food allergies. Turned out he was allergic to beef and chicken proteins. Venison and rice worked wonders.

It now appears Sophie our Newfie girl is allergic to grains, particularly corn. We have her on Taste of the Wild salmon. She is beginning to clear up with only being on it for a week.

The food is a bit pricey but not as much as continued vet visits. Hope this helps.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:14:00 am »
I'm thinking that the food allergy testing might be in order, as well!  Winston's on the Chicken and Rice formula for Canidae (due to loose stools on the ALS formula).  But, now, with the change of ingredients in Canidae.....I have heard good things about Taste of the Wild and California Naturals- looks like I'll be doing some research today!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 07:14:41 pm »
We spent $180 for the blood work allergy tests for Max, another $180 for Cody, $90 each for 3 months worth of serum injections, $90 each month for Jake's recurrent ear infections, etc..  We also spent over $500 at the dermatologist for allergy testing.  I finally got sick of spending the money and changed them all over to raw.  They all ate chicken meat, bones and organs for 2 weeks.  The next week, I added in a little beef for a few meals and found out Max is severely allergic to beef.  I added in pork, mackerel, turkey, duck, lamb, goat, and found out that only beef bothered him.  I then gave them some of the things they were eating before, as far as biscuits and things of that nature and found out they react to yeast, flax and most all grains.  Since February, they have had no ear infections, no chewing or scratching jags and best of all, they are taking no meds, no special shampoos, nothing.  I know they all tested allergic to dust mites, mold, fungi and fleas, plus Cody is allergic to palm, cedar, most all grasses, etc.  He lays in the grass to eat his turkey necks and pigs feet and doesn't itch or scratch.  I have read, that if you take care of resolving food related allergies, their systems will be strong enough to handle the rest on their own.  It appears to be a true statement.  Good luck with your boy. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline realblondie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:53:42 pm »
I cant believe what I just read. I too have a "winston'..a golden retriever that has been licking his  paws (inner paws) to rawness..it has been ongoing for 1 .5 yrs w/ some months of decreased symptoms. He started when he was a weee pup w/ itching and summersaults.. ..then at 1 yr the feet w/ the itching.  He has been on pred products 3 times..really bad side effects!!!! The worst!

As I sit here today, WE JUST GOT BACK FROM ALLERGY TESTING.  Prices vary.  I paid $160.00 for the Greer Bloood Test..but I found 2 places they wanted 400 for the same darn thing!  Winstons doc put him on strict allrgy diet first to determine if there is any food involved in his situation

Kim