Author Topic: Innova or Eagle  (Read 6745 times)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Innova or Eagle
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:52:51 am »
OK, I have done some internet research. ( Not that I am an expert nutritionist) I will be switching from Canidae to either Eagle or Innova. Who has used them and is one really different than the other? Is it just a price thing? I really liked what Eagle had to say about their product on their website, but I know a lot of you use Innova. Eagle emailed me and they do have a rebate program. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Is there a big difference between Eagle Premium and Eagle Holistic?
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Lyn

Re: Innova or Eagle
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:29:40 am »
I've fed both Innova and Eagle Holistic in the past to sensitive tummy Bubba. At the time he did better on the Eagle Holistic but he was on the fish formula.

The Eagle premium line contains corn. The Holistic select is Eagles higher end food.

If I had to choose between the 2 I like Innova better. I think they are both great foods though.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:21:37 pm »
It's not just a price thing. Innova costs more to buy because it uses better ingredients so it costs more to make.
It's hard to say since they don't list the exact percent of everything, but if you look at the innova list it has more meat and also better grain sources. Also, I actually understand all of the ingredients in innova (see them here), where eagle pack has a lot of chemicals I don't understand, like "DL-Methionine" which I just looked up and is apparently added to pet food to make a "meat-like" aroma (it doesn't already smell like meat?).

That being said, if you can't afford the innova (it's about $10 more for a 30lb bag), eagle pack is still a pretty good food. But if you decide to go with eagle pack,  I would suggest the holistic select, which has much better grain sources. Eagle pack uses rice (ok) and corn (bad). The holistic select uses rice (ok) and oatmeal (good). Also the holistic select has actual fruits and veggies for natural vitamin sources.

RIP former BPO

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:30:19 pm »
I feed Donkey (8 yr old Weimaraner) Eagle Pack Holistic duck and oatmeal. He is a sensitive-tummy boy who was rescued after being abandoned at doggie daycare for months on end. After joining my household, it took 8 months to get a solid poop out of him. Thanks to the duck/oatmeal holistic formula, he is now a consistantly solid pooper. It works for him.  As for Innova - I've fed that to the other pups in the past with success - it is also an excellent food.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:19:31 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 06:06:35 am »
Tipper was on Innova Adult for years with outstanding results--great skin and coat--but you do have to really watch the calories--a dog can get tubby fast on Innova.  I have tried Eagle's canned food and both of my dogs got diarreha. I've never tried Eagle's dry kibble. Good luck! 
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:55:35 am »
Oh, thank you all for helping out!!!  I will try both with Kana and see what happens! 
 ;)
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:02 am »
Ok I was gonna go for Eagle Holistic LB Puppy but can't find it anywhere. Innova LB Puppy was on sale at Jack's Aquarium for $49, normally $54 so I bought it and we will give it a try.

I contacted a German Shepard breeder a few miles away who was listed on Eagle's website as a retailer. She is not, but orders about once every 1-1/2 months bulk and said I could tag on to her next order, so maybe I will try it later.

Thanks for the info, I am sure she will do fine. Jack's has a buy 12 get one free deal, so does Complete Pet Mart, I am waiting to hear from Innova if they have a program.

thanks again.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:31:07 am »
Sounds like you've worked it all out, but I'll just add one more thumbs up for Innova.  Sam was on Eagle Pack Adult (not Holistic, though) when he came to us, and his poops, though solid, were huge so we switched him.  Now a year and many pounds later, he's on Wellness Healthy Weight and it works very well for him & is keeping his weight managed.  Cass was on 100% Innova Adult when she came to us & until a month or two ago.  Now she's on 2/3 Wellness Healthy Weight and 1/3 Innova.  I love Innova & would never have switched her, but her ribs were disap-pyr-ing.   :P  :D LOL!  Innova is wonderful, but in our experience, pretty high calorie.  I would still recommend it very highly, though.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees