Author Topic: Warning about Sergeant's Gold  (Read 89177 times)

Offline DeogisMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Warning about Sergeant's Gold
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 01:16:34 pm »
Hey all, just giving an update on Deogi for anyone who's interested. We gave him 6 or 7 baths using dish soap and stayed up rubbing his back and tummy to try to 1. make him more comfortable and 2. keep him from scratching the application site. He drank lots of water so I think that helped to flush his system. He's doing much better today, a little tired from being up all night but still playful and loving all the attention.

We contacted WalMart today and were told a rep from the research dept. would call us back this week about the product. We also called Sergeant's and were fwd'd to a hotline rep who told us Vitamin E oil will help sooth the redness and keep him from scratching. She also told us something that would have helped last night when he was still excessively salivating: We could have given him tuna in water (undrained) to help get the bitter taste of the product out of his mouth. I plan on contacting the EPA about this product (Reg. No. 2517-80) as well.

My boyfriend accidentally got some of the oil in his eyes (between petting Deogi and then rubbing his own eyes) and he said it felt like Icy/Hot on his eyeballs! What a horrible product!

I wish we could get this off the shelves today, but in the meantime let's just hope other pups don't have to suffer through the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:21:50 pm by DeogisMom »

marypyrs

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 01:55:49 pm »
I'm SO glad to hear Deogi is feeling better. (He's a real Doll Baby by the way.  :-* )

It's pretty scary ~ some of the OTC stuff out there. And SO misleading by their claims and advertising to Pet Parents who are not fortunate enough to be connected to an informative source.

I may be a pain in the neck to some people, but I never hesitate to make a statement to anyone I see putting some of this 'stuff' in their carts. Most are positive responses and they stick the item back on the shelf. Others ~ well ~ they look at me like I'm some kind of a nut case.

We'll most likely have 'another' response from Sergeant's. And that's just fine by me. Bring it on.

Again. I'm SO happy to hear Deogi is recovering from his horrible experience.  :) And welcome to BPO!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:31:06 pm by marypyrs »

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 08:07:08 am »
Glad to hear that he's doing better!  :)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline sandra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »
I wish I had seen this site before applying this product to Lulu.  She's suffering from all of the same symptoms. It's 2 a.m. and it's going to be a long night.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 01:42:31 am »
Oh no, poor Lulu!  I'm glad that you found BPO Sandra, but I just wish that the circumstances were better.  Have you tried bathing Lulu and will she drink water or low sodium chicken broth to help flush her system?  Poor baby, how is she doing now?

I can't begin to say what I think of this "product".   >:(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline dogandcat_mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 01:08:53 pm »
There has to be away to for us to get the point across to sergeant's. We are the ones that keep them in business. I'm considering calling my local media station to see if they will run a story on this product. Maybe if all 33,000 + people that have taken the time to complain about this product in forums would speak a little louder we can get this pulled from the market. I thought I had killed my "kids" a german shepherd/boxer, and a pug/chow. There is no warning of this type of reaction. Luckly, my dogs reaction wasn't serious and they are doing fine now, 24hours later. But it was a long night last night, and I don't think either of them will ever want another bath!!
dusty-dawnn

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 02:18:23 pm »

More than water is necessary to flush the system - the toll of these chemicals is what it does to the liver and kidney - the two filtering organs.  I highly recommend starting these dogs on milk thistle, dandelion, turmeric,and burdock for cleansing and detoxifying the liver, blood, and GI tract.

There are some good whole supplements out there such as PetAlive and Thorne's Hep C:  http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/Conditions/liver.htm
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline dogandcat_mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 12:52:06 pm »
UPDATE ON PREVIOUS POST:
I did call the news station, channel 27 in lexington, kentucky. They were just has unnerved by this product still being sold as I am. They came by my house this morning and done an interview with me. They are also going to speak with the local vets about this product. At least this will get the word out and hopefully save our beloved furry friends. This will air on the local channel tonight between 5p-6p. He wasn't sure exactly which segment it would be on but it will be on the air to notify the public of this poison that is sold to "protect" our dogs. I believe they have streaming video on the website if you want to see the segment. I'm not stopping here. This is only the beginning for me. I am going to call sergent's and most likely file suite for my vet bills. My dogs are doing so much better now, still itchy and not 100% yet. We are going for a check up on saturday to find out if there is any long term effects from this product. I'll keep you all posted and let you know if there is anything you all can do to help get this off the shelf.
dusty-dawnn

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 04:49:56 pm »
Dogandcat_Mom, I am really glad to hear that your pups are feeling better.  It's wonderful that you used you & your pups awful experience to help warn others.  I wonder what it would take to get this story to go nationwide....   :-\
Marie

And my pups:

Offline dogandcat_mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »
here is a link to the new broadcast that aired last week. I urge you all to call you media stations as well, if only the local papers to get the word out on this product. The  louder we are the more likely sergeants will have to do something.
http://wkytarchives.com/watch?v=3499
dusty-dawnn

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 12:27:53 am »
Great job getting the word out, Dawnn!  Who knows how many other pets you've saved from awful reactions by spreading the word.  I'll see if I can find an e-mail addresses for our local news stations, too.   ;)  :)
Marie

And my pups:

Offline JulieWG

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 10:07:39 am »
Again, Sergeant’s is very sorry to hear about what your dogs have experienced. We definitely want to hear from anyone who believes their pet has had an adverse reaction to any of our flea and tick control products. If you haven’t yet contacted our 24-hour consumer hotline at 800-224-7387, we strongly encourage you to do so for a couple of very important reasons:   

- We want to make sure that your dog is in good health. Naturally reading these posts are more than bothersome to us.
 - Sergeant’s needs to gather information from you and your vet in order to start an investigation.  Sergeant’s has a procedure in place where a complaint of a possible adverse reaction is given to a committee of independent veterinarians to review and investigate what may have caused the reaction or problem.

It’s important to remember that all flea and tick control product are pesticides and in order for these products to be as safe and effective as possible, they must be used as directed. It’s also important to understand that, just like human health care products, nothing can be 100% allergy-free, so some dogs will have a reaction.  Most reactions are temporary, such as skin irritation, but some can be very serious.

Sergeant’s wants to help pet owners make safe choices, which is why we expanded our “Look at the Label” educational campaign and website www.lookatthel abel.com to educate consumers on proper application and use of flea and tick control products. Each case in this forum – and other forums - is different, which is why we think you will find the information on www.lookatthel abel.com helpful in answering many of the questions you may have at this point in time. Sergeant’s President, Bob Scharf, wants pet owners to know this tool is available and encourages everyone to visit the website or call Sergeant’s hotline to answer any questions or concerns you may have - whether it is pre, post or after application. You can view a special message here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbONNAshrWo.

Again, we are very sorry about the experiences we are reading here and want nothing but your pets to be healthy and happy!  Visit www.lookatthel abel.com for useful tips. Please let us know if you have any questions at all, as we would be more than happy to assist you further.

Best,
Julie

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
  • Heather *packed* going to Pow Wow
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 12:28:25 pm »
they told you tuna juice??? first thing thta comes to mind about canned tuna.. is the risk of mercury..  maybe olive oil would be better..

josephine
Josephine Morningstar & Heather, Grt Pyr MASD
Native American in New England.
Never threaten anyone. It ruins the surprise.

Offline Lorraine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Warning about Sergeant's Gold....... READ the many Horror Stories!!!
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 08:44:10 pm »
Sergeant’s President, Bob Scharf
Please read all the Sergeant Poison Cases listed in this web site along with the Sergeant suffers in other sites below on the results of Sergeant Gold and SentryPro XFC.

We read the label, it is not the packaging of your product that is the issue. We are experienced dog owners, we would rather be directed to see a corrective action campaign on how to stop producing a product that has known consistent adverse reactions than how to read a label.

We watched our loved ones suffer for days as the result of your product.

How many cases can you read before your company takes action? How much customer suffering and expense will Sergeant create for the sake of their revenue?
Why are you requesting your customers to do Sergeant’s product testing and giving us the onus to report out to you the adverse results?

Take a total of the calls you have received regarding the reactions, when is one more call going to be enough???
Take it off the Market. One Animal Suffering is Cruelty.

http://dogblog.dogster.com/2008/04/08/sargeants-gold-flea-medication-almost-kills-dogsters-lucky-and-nala/#comment-465919

http://www.hartzvictims.org/2008/01/28/danger-sergeants-gold-flea-and-tick-squeeze-on-2/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070603204206AAZelWw

http://journal.drfaulken.com/problems-with-sentrypro-xfc-flea-and-tick-medication/

http://www.hartzvictims.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1841&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5290a3d838a93ff178451d0a875baa71&topic=23893.0

Offline Bob S

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:26 am »
Hi Lorraine,

I’ve read through the postings on Big Paws, including yours and I want you to know how very sorry I am that you and the others in this forum have had an unpleasant experience with one of our products. I want to personally address some of your concerns as I take every case extremely seriously.

We do not market products that are dangerous or that we would not use on our own pets.  I have 2 dogs at home that I love dearly and they are both using this product as are the dogs of my friends and family. I know it is upsetting when your pet has a reaction and when you look at a forum like this you could get the impression that everyone has that same experience, but that is simply not the case.  Please know that millions of dogs are treated with this product every year and for nearly all those dogs the result is that they are flea and tick free without any negative reaction.   

Sergeant’s has been working to find an answer to why some pets have reacted negatively but the problem happens so seldom that it is almost impossible to pinpoint the cause.  We know there are differences in the physiology of dogs’ skin and we believe that those variances may play a role in this process. Ideally, we would like to have products that no pets ever have a reaction to, but no one has ever been able to develop such a product for pets (or for humans, for that matter).  We will continue to work to get as close to that goal as possible for this product and for all of our products but I wanted to reach out personally and let you know that your concerns, and those of all pet owners, are being listened to at the highest level here at Sergeant’s.

Again, I'm very sorry that your dog was irritated by our product.

Thank you,
Bob Scharf