Author Topic: raw food diet....and kibble?  (Read 5730 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
raw food diet....and kibble?
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:21:43 pm »
Hey
I am slowly incorporating raw food into my dogs diet. I have one really picky eater though and will only eat beef. NO Veggies and hardly any chicken or fish? is it ok to still feed half kibble to gain some of the other ingredients at the same time I feed raw?
Advice please....
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: raw food diet....and kibble?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 02:32:40 am »
We used to feed kibble in the morning and raw at night. Just switched to all raw when we ran out of kibble.

Have you tried turkey necks instead of chicken for your RMB?
What other nutrients are you adding? ie Kelp, alfalfa, ginger, Vitamins, oils, supplements
Do you have access to Venison or Bison to add variety later?
How long have you been feeding raw?
What did you start with?
Try a different type of fish. Is it canned or fresh?
Is the chicken free range or commercial? sometimes they taste different to dogs.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:16:44 am »
I feed kibble and raw. Lily only eats ones a day so I choose what to give her every evening. The problem with feeding beef only is that you are messing up the balance of consumed calcium/phosphorus. You can add some bone meal to balance the ratio otherwise it's dangerous. Dogs need to eat meats with the bone (necks, backs, legs, wings). I used to feed raw only and the reason I stopped is because Lily would not eat turkey, then chicken, then pork and would only eat beef and lamb. I obviously couldn't make a balanced meal out of those choices. ::) :P
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 09:35:22 am »
switched to all raw when we ran out of kibble.
Have you tried turkey necks instead of chicken for your RMB?
What other nutrients are you adding? ie Kelp, alfalfa, ginger, Vitamins, oils, supplements
Do you have access to Venison or Bison to add variety later?
How long have you been feeding raw?
What did you start with?
Try a different type of fish. Is it canned or fresh?
Is the chicken free range or commercial? sometimes they taste different to dogs.

Hi
I haven't tried turkey necks yet but keep reading it is a good choice. Just have to find them.
I have just started (one week) feeding raw. I have been feeding beef mostly - hamburger, beef cubes, steaks
I have been successful with canned sardines so far.
I am still figuring out how much to feed and how to incorporate the other nutrience especially for my picky eater!! :)
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:05:51 pm »
Which one is the picky eater and how much will they weigh when full grown? You feed only 2% of their ideal adult weight. So my pups get just over 2 pounds a day as they are expected to be between 85 and 100 lbs. We keep a close eye on their weight gain.

When www.rawdogranc h.com comes back up they are a great place for help. the site was hacked so she is fixing it. Also www.leerburg.c om has great information about raw diets.

How about grinding up the chicken and beef together? Or any other combination?

How are their poops?

Normally when you first start raw you start on chicken and only chicken for several weeks, then slowly add in other meats. Just like you do with babies where you start with one basic food and slowly add other foods to make sure they are not allergic to them.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

List

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:05:22 pm »
While we were first transitioning Boston to raw, he had kibble in the am and raw in the pm. No issues with that whatsoever. Once we ran out of kibble we switched solely to raw.

Most people start with just chicken, and then slowly add other proteins. If she is doing ok with the beef, I would start slowly adding other proteins, and make sure to offer RMBs. Our favourite RMBs are chicken backs, chicken quarters (well anything chicken) and turkey necks and backs.