Author Topic: Um - I need some guidance, here...UPDATE  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Um - I need some guidance, here...UPDATE
« on: July 12, 2008, 06:41:14 pm »
Caught up in the festivities of my son's 5th birthday party today, Kai found it difficult to resist the last piece of chocolate Iron Man cake on the counter. I stepped away and BAM - dog gulps cake, licks plate and looks not in the least bit remorseful as she licks the last bits of icing off her nose. So of course, I'm sort of freaking out. My dog at a giant piece of chocolate cake. Should I do anything? What should I watch for if she's going to have problems from the chocolate? ::)  HELP!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:30:12 am by Ali »
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline daytrippers

• Ankle Biter
  • NM Daytrippers and the ZOO
    • View Profile
Re: Um - I need some guidance, here...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 07:12:52 pm »
You can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435  there might be a consult fee.
Loki-Golden            Poncho the Donkey(no joke)
Abby-Rot/Lab cross     Oden-Blue Heeler
Zeus-Corgi/Pit cross   Harley-Shep/Chow cross
Shadow-Heinz 57        Roxy-Malinois pup
                Bo-Lab R.I.P. 8/08

Offline daytrippers

• Ankle Biter
  • NM Daytrippers and the ZOO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 07:15:54 pm »
Cindy ( the brindle pack ) is right on the money with her numbers and info.  I had googled a sight that said exactly the same thing. 
Loki-Golden            Poncho the Donkey(no joke)
Abby-Rot/Lab cross     Oden-Blue Heeler
Zeus-Corgi/Pit cross   Harley-Shep/Chow cross
Shadow-Heinz 57        Roxy-Malinois pup
                Bo-Lab R.I.P. 8/08

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:41:24 pm »
I can't answer the question of how much chocolate is too much but I do know the effects of a can of hot chocolate on a puppy.  Bear (GSD/Rott) cross ate a brand new can of hot chocolate when he was a puppy.  The vet said to watch him but it shouldn't be a problem since he was young and healthy.  He did tell me to expect lots of energy from the caffiene buzz and was he correct.  Bear was on chocolate crack for about a day.  He lived to be 10yo.  If you are seriously worried I would call the vet and see about getting her to vomit. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:29:44 am »
THANKS, ya'll!!! I relaxed, and as it turns out, Kai is fine. She had some super ultra mega smelly gas, and a bit of runny poos, but that's it. She didn't have much of an appetite for dinner that night, but that's what happens when you eat a slice of cake half as big as your head, I guess. Hubby is less than thrilled with the counter surfing, so I have to figure out what to do about that. Last week she stole two ears of fresh corn on the cob off the counter and shredded them all over the place. Last night she helped herself to my son's bowl of ice cream. Oh, and on Sunday morning, she reached up and whapped hubby on the head while he was sleeping.  :( She is on his naughty list right now, but I can't help but thing all her antics are kind of cute and charming! ;)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

AudgePadge

Re: Um - I need some guidance, here...UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:52:55 am »
AWWW Kai...  :-*  You know Ali, if you would ease off hoggin the computer and super pokin everyone :P  Kai would be able to get back to her game of Solitaire that she's been workin on the for past month... :P  I love her...she's too cute.

jesday

Re: Um - I need some guidance, here...UPDATE
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:40:58 am »
We had a Newfie/lab mix that was a major counter surfer. Nothing worked. One trainer said to carry a small bottle of tobasco and the second you find him on the counter rub some in his mouth. Stupid dog developed a taste for tobasco and was constantly checking the counter for some of that yummy stuff. ;D

We finally found a solution: :) Take several aluminum soda cans and string them together. Place the cans well to the back of the counter out of immediate eyesight. Attach a small piece of lunch meat or something Kai just has to have to the other end of the string pretty close to the counter's edge. When Kai grabs the tidbit and starts to move the cans will make a terrible clatter across the counter and they will follow him wherever he tries to run to get away from the scarey devil cans :o until he drops the goodie.

This was the most hysterical site, so be ready with a video camera. It only took one time! We even tried raw hamburger after the first time. He wanted nothing to do with the counter. This from a dog that failed puppy kindergarten - twice ;D