Author Topic: Feeding habits driving me nuts!  (Read 6827 times)

jesday

Feeding habits driving me nuts!
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:13:23 am »
It's driving me nuts, not to mention mooko bucks down the drain. >:(

I can't seem to get them on any kind of routine. I try to feed twice a day but sometimes they won't eat morning or one won't and the other will. Then evening meal the non-eater is ravonous and wants more than evening amount. Then next day vice-versa. Sometimes they scarf down both meals.

They will be 11 mo. old at the end of this month and I try to feed them about 2 1/2 cups of very expensive "Taste of the Wild" in the morning and again in evening for about 5 cups a day. They prefer the kibble wetted down a bit which is the problem. Once it is wet I can't put the uneaten kibble back in the bag. Then it sours overnight,so I have no choice but to throw it out.

Sophie has some allergies we are trying to narrow down, thus the non-grain food.

All this in addition to a chihuahua that will only eat grocery store rotiserie chicken cut up in tiny bites. Long story.

I'm afraid to feed whole 5 cups at one time because I read that can be a factor causing bloat. Any suggestions?

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding habits driving me nuts!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:58:51 am »
Would it be possible to put down a smaller amount at the start of the meal to see if they are going to eat/are hungry? That way you wouldn't wet all 2.5 cups, and if they aren't hungry, the food isn't wasted. If they are hungry at that meal, then it's always easier to add more food.

I would also keep to your routine, when they're hungry they'll eat and with consistency they should get on a regular schedule. But I haven't had puppies before, so maybe someone with puppy feeding experience will have some suggestions, too...
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:58:35 am »
I agree with Jennifer :) Wet one cup for each and offer it to them in the morning. If they are not hungry then they will eat it at night ;) My dog stopped eating in the morning after 9 months of age :P She only eats one meal at 8-9 p.m. and goes to bed  ::)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:11:30 pm »
Well duh to me. I never even thought of starting with a small amount first.  ::)

So consensus is that it is okay to feed once a day if that is all they want?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 12:16:43 pm »

So consensus is that it is okay to feed once a day if that is all they want?

In my understanding it is OK :) As long as your pups don't try to wrestle or run around after the meal they are fine. Since you are feeding grain-free food AND wet it, the possibly of bloat decreases dramatically ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 12:32:26 pm »
Miles usually won't eat in the morning either. I also have to moisten his kibble. Well, I stopped moistening the kibble on the morning meal. I give him 1.5 cups of dry food in the morning. He usually eats it by 1pm or 2, unmoistened. I figure if he's hungry enough, he will eat it dry. Then, I will fix up his evening meal.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:38:27 pm »
Mine only get feed 1x day.  Depending on how they are acting I will either increase or decrease the amount they are getting.  Occassionally on my days off if they are acting hungry I will give them another feeding time but usually only 1/2 cup of food each.  It's working for us.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 01:23:21 pm »
Can't you put what they don't eat in the fridge until their next meal?

Offline daytrippers

• Ankle Biter
  • NM Daytrippers and the ZOO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:07:18 pm »
We've had a similar problem with Roxy.  She would not eat in the morning, but sneak out later in the afternoon and get into her siblings outside chow.  She over ate so bad one Sunday night we had to make a run to the Pet ER.  $225.00 tummy ache is what it turned out to be.  Our vet suggested we feed her 1/3 of her daily rations morning, noon, and evening.  The first couple days she left her breakfast uneaten, so we picked it up.  Then she realized that lunch and dinner wasn't going to cut it.  Now she eats what is offered to her.  You'll work it out!
Loki-Golden            Poncho the Donkey(no joke)
Abby-Rot/Lab cross     Oden-Blue Heeler
Zeus-Corgi/Pit cross   Harley-Shep/Chow cross
Shadow-Heinz 57        Roxy-Malinois pup
                Bo-Lab R.I.P. 8/08