Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 3232 times)

jesday

Just curious
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:09:10 pm »
Does anyone know what instinct may be behind dogs taking a big gulp of sloppy food, walking about 2 feet, spitting it out then eating if off the floor. Burb and repeat. :P

Just when I get some of their resource guarding figured out by finding the perfect distance to separate them,the new location for Syrus is right next to formal dining room carpet. He has to spit his food upon it before eating which, of course, stains the carpet. Sophie does the same thing but on the kitchen floor which is easy to clean.

I know the solution is to move Syrus once again and go through the couple of weeks to get them to knock off the bickering over food. But, I was trying to analyze the behavior. I've had many dogs that do this.

Side note to all the Pyr owners out there. Saw a 3 month old Pyr pup at the vet's today. CUUUUTTTE!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Just curious
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:29:38 pm »
I don't know if this is the correct, scientific answer, but if you've ever watched a pack of wolves eat, the alpha wolf gets first grab of the kill and the lower wolves will sneak in, grab a bite and go off a few steps to eat it so another wolf won't steal it from them.

This sounds like the same kind of behavior.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain