Author Topic: Question About Bernese Mountain Dog Living Conditions  (Read 16300 times)

Offline jenniferl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Question About Bernese Mountain Dog Living Conditions
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:25 am »
My boyfriend and I are looking to get a dog soon and as we've been looking at different breeds we've really fallen in love with the Bernese Mountain Dog. However, we live in an apartment and on several sites it says that it isn't an ideal living space. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a BMD in an apartment or if you'd absolutely advise against it. Obviously I do NOT want to see any dog uncomfortable or unhappy but we have tons of time to walk our dog 1-2 times a day and our apartment complex has a fenced-in puppy park for dogs to run without a leash.

So, if we're willing to put in the time to give our dog ample exercise, would it work out?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:52:25 am by jenniferl »

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Bernese Mountain Dog Living Conditions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:38:49 pm »
In my sister's apartment complex, they have a dog park and a lady has a Great Dane and it is very happy! I think if you take it to the dog park alot and let it run around and get lots of exercise than it should be fine.  But, I would talk with the apartment complex about it because some places do not allow dogs over a certain weight limit. I would also suggest taking him or her to obedience classes because that would also make life easier in an apartment.

Just make sure to research everything you can about the breed and make sure to get one from responsible breeder or even better a rescue. Make 100% sure a BMD would be the right dog for you and your boyfriend.   

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:24:57 pm »

Here in rescue, we do not place in apartments for several reasons - lack of outdoor space is just one consideration.  Berners are large dogs who quickly fill up a small space - I had my boy several years ago in a small home and he was knocking into everything.  He was very uncomfortable and wanted out.  Given how heavy boned and large they are, they generally are not accepted into most apts and pose a noise problem for neighbors below (they are thudding animals).

Our last 5 rescues this year have all been cases of people losing their homes, and moving into apartments.  They are giving up their Berners to us as a result.

Without seeing and knowing more however it is hard to tell. Berners are high energy for the first two years and usually require a LOT of running room.  Once they mature, being in a setting like that isn't usually a problem at all - so rescuing an adult may be a good idea for you.

Great Danes are great apartment dogs - Berners are not as a general rule.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 05:44:31 pm »
This is just one case, of course, and not to be taken as a general rule, but I live in an apartment with my 1-year-old berner, Sammy. I've lived in an apartment the whole time I've had him. I've found that it works out just fine- Sammy is not a dog to run around the house on his own for exercise- he tends to be pretty calm and lazy in the house, and though he follows me everywhere I go, I don't at all have the impression that if I lived in a large house, he would take the effort to "use up" that space, so to speak. He really is a dog that likes to be where his people are, and so I don't really see how it would benefit hi to have a  larger house- he's certainly not going to get exercise in the house by walking laps of the house on his own! I take him outside often, and he loves playing at the dog park, and going for walks, particularly in the winter. My experience with this breed is that the amount of attention you are able to give is more important to them than the amount of space you are able to give. He does certainly bump into things, but he  does that outside as well, and it doesn't seem to bother him at all!

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:05:40 am »

I am not trying to suggest that a Berner, or any other breed of dog cannot adapt to certain living conditions - as we all know, dogs are highly adaptable and learn quick.

But I thought we are talking about what is best suited for a specific breed - optimal conditions if you will.  I could demonstrate the ability to put a border collie in an apartment too, if I was incessantly outdoors exercising him and giving him mental stimulation as required.  This can work, but is not optimal or makes sense for dog or human - dog ownership should be easier than this.

So I would suggest that I could find a lot of people with Berners in apartments - who are only dogs without other dog stimulation and have learned to be calm or "lazy" around the home - they also learn how to function very limited in a confined space, especially when bumping into things.

I can also offer that when any breed is put in the right home, the right situation for that breed, they thrive and behave appropriately for the breed.  Berners are a working breed, and young ones are normally quite active.  My girl is 4 years old, and DOES run around the house - her favorite game is to beat me to the stairs and race up them.  I know if she didn't have this opportunity - she would adapt to her surroundings of course.

Can you have one in an apartment?  Sure - but the burden on you is much greater to give this working breed the mental and physical stimulation that they need outside then as a result.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar