Black Russian Terriers > Black Russian Terrier Discussions & Pictures

black russian terriers

(1/2) > >>

jillya:
Is anyone familiar with this breed?  We just had to put down our 9 year old Rottie we loved and are looking for something similar that won't remind us of her.  Looking for fun, smart, protective but not too high energy.

ZooCrew:
I can't say I'm familiar with them, but they remind me of giant schnauzers. I belive the temperment and intelligence is about the same as well.

they are a handsome breed.

maxsmom:
I don't know anything about black russian terriers, but fun, smart, protective, not too high energy, brings to mind Tibetan Mastiff.  Just my opinion.
Kathy

kealoha812:
If you like the Black russian terrier...Anot her dog that may interest you is a bouvier des flandres. (pronounced boo-vee-ay) Check them out at
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bouvierdesflandres.htm
A friend of mine has one. He does Therapy dog work and is just a huge teddy bear. He gets TONS of attention. He stands a few inches taller than my golden retriever and is just beautiful and very loving. She got him through a rescue. He is her second of that breed. I've attached some pics of him. After just a casual search for rescues and look who I found... check out Pheobe at http://www.bouvier.org/ABRL/abrlavail.asp

cleo122506:
Hi All,
New to this site.  I am a proud owner of a BRT.  You can find a lot of information about them on the American Kennel Club website as well as the site for the Black Russian Terrier Club of America. 

The big difference, from what I know (and I did TONS of research before getting our dog), between a Bouvier and a BRT is their "job."  That is, BRTs are meant to be guard dogs and remain with their pack.  The Bouvier (again, from what I have read) are herding dogs.  Therefore, they tend to herd their pack, they tend to be much more high energy than BRTs.  Our girl is a couch potato and, many times, has to be taken on what we call a 'forced march.'  She wants to be where we are, and if that's in the living room watching TV, then so be it! 

We have trained her a lot.  She has taken two obedience classes and has passed her Canine Good Citizen certificate.  Next up is the Therapy Dog International test.  Because they are a working dog, they need a job.  And, often, it's protecting you, their pack leader, or others. 

It's really important to make sure that you know the purpose of your dog's breed.  Though BRTs and Bouviers look a lot alike, their jobs in terms of their breed make up is quite different. 

I consulted the American Kennel Club via telephone and they put me in touch with different breeders around the country.  It's been a wonderful experience to know people in the BRT community!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version