Author Topic: Blood in Urine ** Update***  (Read 22703 times)

jesday

Re: Blood in Urine
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 07:43:11 am »
Hope a call to the vet today will answer your concerns. As for drinking, she may have learned she doesn't have to drink plain old water now, mom will give me all kinds of yummy flavored stuff.

Have you tried letting her drink from a running faucet or hose? They seem to love fresh running water.

Isn't their timing great? Wait until a weekend when the vet is closed, make you worry all weekend long. And then hopefully by Monday morning they are fine.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
i called the vet and took a pee sample to them.  there's not a bladder infection.  they don't know why she's not drinking.  they want me to measure her water and find out how much she drinks a day.  we'll report back to them in a few days.   
the only OTHER place to get water is the toilet bowl and she doesn't drink out of the toilet ever.  and i put milk on her dog food so she is getting liquids...mayb e 1/2 a cup a day. 
and she did get into the garbage can and tore off with a maxi pad.  that might explain the blood.

but she is spoiled and i give in.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:28:36 am by Lin »

marypyrs

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 10:53:38 am »
Lin, why are you still giving her milk? Not a good idea. :-\

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 10:59:26 am »
i have to put something on her food to make her eat.  i'll stop using the milk.  but she has never drank out of the toilet.  i measured 3 cups into her water dish just now and we'll see how long it takes her to get a drink with no nummies in it. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 11:00:44 am »
she doesn't appear to be dehydrated. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:43 am »
typo.  the only other place to get water is the toilet and she doesn't like to drink out of that.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 11:20:38 am »
the dog nazi Dr. Drobitch said not to dress up her water with anything (and that's hard to resist).  "she'll drink when she's thirsty."  i'll try something new on the dry food to make it more appealing.  she's never eaten it dry without something on it.  i'll get something lowfat and sodium free. 
she has a great appetite.  the eating isn't a problem. 

They want me to wait it out for now until they can tell how long she will go without drinking. 

I've tried ice cubes and she dunks for them, plays with them and spits them out.  there's not a whole lot of drinking involved with that. 

But definiately i'll stop with the milk. 

I told the lady at the vet today that not giving her a reason to drink water with whatever in it would make her dehydrated.  they are taking the tough love route.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:21:44 am by Lin »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 11:59:31 am »
She's always wanted something on her food.  this thing with her not drinking till there's something in the water just started Saturday.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 02:14:47 pm »
How embarrassing.  She's still pooping maxi pad from Saturday.  At least it's coming out.  maybe her tummy just feels full and she doesn't feel the need to drink. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 04:28:02 pm »
she took a little water from a glass and a soup bowl.  and played with some ice cubes.  still not drinking a lot.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 04:34:45 pm »
Sorry Grace is having health issues again.  Poor girl, she has had a rough year.  Hope she is on the mend very quickly & they get to the bottom of the problem.

Anita & the 4 Newfs from Jersey

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 08:14:07 pm »
thank you.  me too.  i'm real worried.  but, she's had 5 cups of water since dinner.  i can tell she wants to get adrink, but she sniffs her bowl and walks away.  My mom thinks she just doesn't like the taste of water lately.  i'm wondering if it's the rymidal she's on for another few days.  so i added a touch of pork juice to her water and a little hot dog juice and she lapped it up like nobody's business.  i know that's breaking the rule, but it's so hot and i can't let her just melt without water.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Blood in Urine ** Update*** Can't figure this one out.
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 10:10:51 pm »
5 cups since dinner I would say is plenty. Some of mine don't even drink that in a whole day.

I found on line that an adult dog needs 2ml of water / lb of body weight a day to survive. But that a dog will normally drink more then the needed survival amount.

So a 100lb dog only needs to drink 6.76 oz of water per day to survive. Since a standard US cup measurement is 8oz she drank 40oz since dinner....well over the needed amount.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:30:14 pm by VdogLover »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Blood in Urine ** Update*** Can't figure this one out.
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 02:50:07 am »
Lin, I agree that 40 oz is really a lot for Grace.  When Halley was ill the vet told me that she needed to drink (or be given) 500 ml (or about 16 oz.) of fluids per day to survive and she was around 80#.  So I would be careful about encouraging Grace to drink so much as I don't know if consuming too much liquid very quickly is as dangerous to dogs as it is to humans.  I'm sure that she'll be fine tonight though (but she may be wizzing like a racehorse all night  ;) ;D).  If she doesn't have blood in her urine any longer and I read that the vet didn't find a UTI, then unless I didn't read carefully enough (and that is certainly possible, I'm pretty tired), I wouldn't worry much about her fluid intake tomorrow.  She probably won't be very thirsty until later in the day or evening since she's so hydrated right now.  Just a thought...   ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

Re: Blood in Urine ** Update*** SHE DID IT
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 06:44:08 am »
She drank...all by herslef.  nothing to sweeten the pot...no coaking.  :)