Author Topic: Cane Corso exercise  (Read 22173 times)

Offline hb

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Cane Corso exercise
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:45:32 pm »
Hey I am new to the board... we just got a rescue Corso this week and she is about 11 months old.  She is fairly lanky still, about 75 lbs. with a fair amount of filling out to do I would guess.  Anyway I am a runner and am wondering when it is okay to take a Corso for longer runs 5-10 miles. 
So far she has plenty of energy around the yard and I am a firm believer in a tired dog being a good dog.
I know with some breeds you should never really have them run until they are fully grown.  Any insight you can give me on when it is appropriate to start running them and how long it is okay to do it for would be great.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Cane Corso exercise
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:53:49 pm »
welcome to the board.all dog in my opinion before the age of 2 should not be run at all for the sake of their joints. Also, when you do start, you need to start really slow as not to injure the dogs joints.

Offline hb

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:11:28 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  I have taken her running a few times but slow down when she slows down.  It has helped improve behavior as she has plenty of energy and she loves the chance to go.  She controls the pace at this point so I am really getting extra workouts as we go for a short while.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »
Hello and welcome!  I love the cane corso breed, it is going to be my next dog (hopefully)

I agree with jaz.  Limit the exercise until they are over a year and no long distances until over 2. 

I'd love to see some pix of the new girl.  :)

Offline RichL73

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:21:19 pm »
I just got my first Cane Corso a couple months ago and so far he's a cool dog- I've had 3 pitbulls in the past and the Corso is far easier to train. There aren't too many breeders in my area the closest one was almost 4hours away, but I was set on getting a Corso this time. As far as exercise he's pretty lazy during the day but at bedtime I can here him running around the house. I try to take him for walks but he doesn't like the leash and won't move when you put it on him. I have to bribe him with treats to get him to go outside.