Author Topic: Questions about Therapy Dogs  (Read 8656 times)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Therapy Dogs
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 06:39:33 pm »
If your dog has a CGC and does not get upset from loud noises your dog will do fine. Just remember NO corrections during the test.
I have helped on about 50 TDI tests and have only seen a handfull of dogs fail.
Good luck~

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 06:43:19 pm »
I take Cowboy almost everywhere I go, and he is such an old sweetheart, nobody objects.  He even goes in to jewelry stores with lots of crystal, etc. around....some thing that Chester will probably not be able to do for a   L---0----n----g time!!!

I think Cowboy's improvement is a combination of gabapentin which is an antiseizure for humans ($$$$$!!!!) and having Chester around.  Thank heavens for Canada Pharmacy!!!  He also only gets fresh cooked meat and veg....virtual ly no carbos.  Maybe its a combo of all the above.  Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.  When he can go and "do" Home Depot with me again, I'll know he's ready for work!!!

And pndlake, I'm sure Niki will do just great!  People usually don't have their dogs tested if they don't have a prayer in passing!!! ;)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 07:22:57 pm »
OK I am an old dummy, what is CGC? I do not expect to give her any corrections, can we give commands though?

Jabear is thinking about it too (sorry if I spill the beans) but she will take a test later and I will work on this one and help her.  I found out there are no therapy dogs here in Fresno and the lady even told me that she wanted me to start a chapter here. I told her I would but need more experience.  I think we only need two dogs to have a chapter.  Fresno is a big town.  thanks for keeping us informed.  Peggy
Peggy

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 08:12:12 pm »
CGC is Canine Good Citizen!!!  It's part of the AKC stuff.  It shows that a dog has passed basic obedience.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 08:14:52 pm »
Oh, sorry didnt' see the last part of the question.  Oh yeah, you can give commands.  Mind reading isn't a required task ;D!!!

I think it's awesome that you guys are going to start the Fresno chapter!!!  Is Nikkers going to get Angus going too?  What fun!!!

I hope I can get Chester certified as well.  Dogs have to be at least a year old so hopefully we'll get this jumping up issue under control~

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 11:56:35 am »
We have a dog visiting the home I work for who is Working on getting certified as a therapy dog.  They have to put in so many hours with the dog at numerous facilities in the area and have the facilities sign their record of hours, where they were, and the date etc...  It sounds like most of the tests you all did were one day tests?  This particular dog has been working in homes now for almost a month 3-4 times weekly at ours.  He will be testing out soon.  Did you all have to log time in homes before testing? 
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2005, 03:50:17 pm »
Peggy that is awesome! You and I can be the Fresno chapter!! Tooo cool. I can't wait for you to finish your test with Niki so that you can give me lots of pointers. Bear will do fine I think...as long as we can work on the "come" when called.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2005, 05:18:14 pm »
That is awsome, Good Luck to both Peggy and Jabas..... It sounds great to start the Fresno chapter, I cant believe they dont have one already.

Someone posted that they have to look away when given the command ignore.... is that a requirement or is it okay if they only "ignore" it. Galahad is getting to be okay with the ignore, but he sure doesnt look away lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2005, 06:07:53 pm »
Kildeskennel, I never heard of clocking your working time to be a therapy dog.  Maybe different areas have different rules or are run by different organizations.  Maybe they are state laws? I have not been told of any other requirements here before the test and I am sure they would have told me.  We are excited and I will be sure to post photos when we get back.  Thanks for all your support.

I think kids and all people would love Bear, he is very personable and a big, big hit.  I can't wait now to get the chapter rolling.  Niki puts on a great show too and always draws a crowd.  And then with Angus and Cody coming round the bend hmmmm the possibilities are endless.   ::)
Peggy