Author Topic: Newfoundland In an Apartment?  (Read 14318 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Newfoundland In an Apartment?
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:54:52 am »
Hey everyone. I have been a lurker on this board for a few months. I have been on the search for a Newfoundland puppy and found one I love, however, my job situation has changed and I am now going to be living in an apartment. It is dog friendly, and they would let me have the pup. There is a park near by to exercise the dog and a large yard, although unfenced, behind my apartment (its actually a town house, so i'm not in a building but its 1100 sq ft). I also live in SD/MN so there are SO many lakes we visit often. Anyway, I'm dedicated to making sure the dog gets out A LOT for exercise (winter might be a tad less due to freezing weather) but, can a Newfoundland live in an apartment? I will only be there for 1.5 years, and on weekends do go to my parents home which is very large and has a nice big fenced in backyard. The pupyy will also only be alone for 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon 3 days a week. Any thoughts? I had it all planned, have fallen in love with the pupppy, and then this happened!
Thank you!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

lookingfornewf

Re: Newfoundland In an Apartment?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:24 am »
As long as you are going on lots of walks that is better than just letting them out in a yard anyway. Don't worry about the cold freezing winters, that is my Newfie's favorite time to go for walks. The amount of time you have available for the puppy is better than most people have. I say go for it. Enjoy your drooling, shedding mass of slobberly love.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:52:16 am »
Hi,

Just make sure the Townhouse board knows how big your pup will get. Some places though dog friendly have weight and size limits. Which never include these big guys size and weight!!

Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:27:12 pm »
I think it sounds like a wonderful home for any dog!  Lots of people have big houses and yards and their dogs still don't get enough attention or exercise. To me, it's the amount of excersive, socialization, interaction and so on that makes a happy dog! I think there are some exceptions to this but, generally, I think most dogs are happy when they have an involved owner.

Oh, and welcome to BPO officially.  ;)  I'm Julie, it's nice to meet you!

Ditto to what Julie said. I have a large yard, but it's not fenced, so I am a dedicated dog walker--it's great for my dogs and great for me! I find that not having a useable dog yard makes me a more involved owner than I might otherwise be. I say go for it, too!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Gentian

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:19:01 pm »
Um...Your townhouse will be 100 sq. ft. larger than my house.  :-X I have three dogs: two 50-pounders and one 150-pounder.

We do have a large fenced yard, but Bosco (the newf) doesn't want to be out there for longer than it takes to potty. He wants to be wherever I am, so if I'm in, so is he. He does like to walk with me. Bosco would do fine in an apartment. It's not the size so much as the energy level.

Can't wait to see the pup!

Amanda

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:54:33 pm »
Um...Your townhouse will be 100 sq. ft. larger than my house.  :-X I have three dogs: two 50-pounders and one 150-pounder.

We do have a large fenced yard, but Bosco (the newf) doesn't want to be out there for longer than it takes to potty. He wants to be wherever I am, so if I'm in, so is he. He does like to walk with me. Bosco would do fine in an apartment. It's not the size so much as the energy level.

Can't wait to see the pup!

Amanda

I agree with Amanda completely.  I have a small house as well with a big back yard, but all three of my dogs are rather clingy and don't really want to be in it unless we are. 

When we added Raja (the St. Bernard) to the mix, I was a bit nervous about how her size would work with our house.  No issue at all!  She takes up less room than our lab as she has a much lower energy level. 
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:55:29 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel so much better getting my Newf boy knowing that some of you have these giants (or similar big guys) in houses/aparments about the size of mine. I am a very dedicated dog owner and have wanted a Newf for a while. Thanks all! I'll post pics and info once I pick him up!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 04:31:01 pm »
I think with all the room outside and the time you'll spend outside with the puppy and the dog once it grows you'll be fine with the apartment.  I live in a small apartment, but take Grace out for lots of walks (less now because of her impending ACL tear) and trips to the river at the park.   As long as a big dog has room to excerise outside, apartments can be just fine for big dogs.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 07:31:10 am »
Yay! I get all excited when there's news about Newfie pups joining the board!  I'd agree with all who have posted.  Winston is, most of the time, like a big sack of potatoes and would be fine in an apartment...no w.  Just remember that although Newfies have such a mild temperament, puppies are still puppies and they will be CRAZED at times. 

Also, you might want to consider planning to rent a ground-level apartment, as this will be helpful with potty-training and will be less harmful to a pup's developing joints.

Oh, and WELCOME!!!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 07:31:47 am by IndyFurKiddos »