Author Topic: Posting etiquette  (Read 13200 times)

jesday

Posting etiquette
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:55:35 pm »
This is the first board to which I have ever posted and I'm hoping I'm not breaching posting etiquette.

I find that my posts are a bit longer on average than others. My husband is always asking me to 'get to the point'. Should posts be as short as possible?

I find when responding to someone I will mention a like situation or refer to something that happened to me along the same lines. I read another post who apologized for being a 'thread stealer' when I felt her comments were about the topic. I certainly don't want to be a thread stealer.

And lastly, I feel compelled to answer everyone who responds to a topic I started. I'm thankful for their input and feel  kind of rude if I don't respond back each time. Is this rude?

I really love this site, love the pics, the advice, the sharing. I don't want to step on any paws out of ignorance on my part. Here I go with another lengthy post. I just love to talk, talk, talk ...

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
Re: Posting etiquette
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:15:16 pm »
I'm new here so I have wondered the same thing about my posts! But I can say- I love your posts!!! I think dog lovers are notoriously talkers! Lord knows I am one...Hence the reason we are all on here every day!!! I've been overwhelmed at how nice and helpful everyone is. I think we should all buy every house in a community and move next to each other! I'd be there...as long as we all do it near a beach!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:19:08 pm »

I don't want to step on any paws out of ignorance on my part.
LOL! You are funny!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:29:06 pm »
Don't you just know our beloved men always think we talk too much ::)
And we always think they don't talk enough? I have heard the 3 most dreaded word a man hears is "we need to talk"

Seriously, I think your post was extremely considerate, very sweet, and you DID get right to the point!

Offline BlazerJo

• Gnawer
  • My Boys-Bill and Jack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:49:41 pm »
Thank you soooo much for this topic starter.  I'm new to posting and this is also my first message board thingy.  I'm really enjoying reading everything and your message was very helpful to me as a beginner.  I just wanna talk about my puppies and hear about other's puppies. Pics are my fave!  But anyway... thanks for all the info your post stirred up!!!
Amy

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:51:39 pm »
I always enjoy your posts, you often ask questions I have too. And your puppies are soooo cute, you need to post way more pictures of them.

jesday

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:52:59 pm »
Thanks everyone. I feel much better. You are all the reason I started posting here in the first place. Kind of like, "Hi, come on in and pull up a chair. Here's a lint roller for all the hair and don't trip over the dog bone." :D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 05:54:43 pm »
And your puppies are soooo cute, you need to post way more pictures of them.

I totally agree with Clifford. I love your pups, want to see more pics of them, and like your posting. How else are you supposed to learn without asking questions?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:53:11 pm »
   Dahlie Juju - you said..."I also tend to relate things to my own experience and go off on tons of tangents. Personally, I think most tangents are funny and silly or have an (eventual) point to them...even if I can't remember it until much later. :) "

Ditto! if it wasn't for tangents - I don't think I would know how to talk! I swear the next BPO'er who gets a new dog has to name it Tangent!  :D

By the way, how do you add someone's quote from a previous post without copying and pasting? Well, lookie there.. another tangent!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:55:51 pm by kealoha812 »
Meli - Golden retriever
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:00:20 pm »
This is my first board also.  I try to keep my postings short and sweet because if I didn't I would have a book going.  Trust me I can tangent with the best of them.  I think you are posting just fine.  I try and read everyday but I don't post that often and there are times when I have the same questions as someone else so I can read all the replies when I don't have time to post.    
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

jesday

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 08:13:53 pm »
[Hit Reply With Quote at the bottom of the message, instead of just Reply.  You will see all the text from that post surrounded by code in [ ]s.  You can erase text within those brackets to just quote a certain part of the reply. ;)
[/quote]

Okay, I'm practicing. I wondered how to do this also. :)

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 08:14:29 pm »
tried it just now in the last post and messed it up again... oh well... I'll  get it eventually!
Meli - Golden retriever
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8

jesday

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:16:44 pm »
How come mine didn't post with the quote in a little box like your's did?

AudgePadge

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »
I have to say...I'm newer as well...and I sometimes I feel like I'm spamming with all my "issues"  And for some reason...I always feel that I have to put a picture, just so you guys remember who I am!! :D

btw...I love all your puppers, and if you find your lint roller is missing...I stole it... (do I say that alot?? I keep wanting to steal everyone's stuff  :-[ Sorry, every pup here is so...take-home-able)

AND...I just wanna say...I love you all! This board has given me the best advice, and everytime  something weird happens with the boys, I always think "QUICK!!! Get the CAMERA! I have to Post it On BPO!!!!" 

It's crazy...I have dreams about it... ok sorry- no thread-jacking...just admiration... <3

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 01:44:11 pm »
And your puppies are soooo cute, you need to post way more pictures of them.

I totally agree with Clifford. I love your pups, want to see more pics of them, and like your posting. How else are you supposed to learn without asking questions?

There ya go Jamie, Micheal, and the Mods are the ones who have final say and you seam to have their approval so continue to be yourself and enjoy.
Also I prefer when someone gets their whole story out at once it limits confusion on whats being asked.