Author Topic: Rescue Remedy  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Rescue Remedy
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:17:44 pm »
Ok, so I've been asked to watch "Tippy" (I really despise her name) for two months while her owner does some traveling and moves. Our cat, Rose, doesn't really like the idea. Lol Tippy has been over to the house a couple times to be groomed, and Rose has thrown her usual hissy fit (literally!). I am hoping they'll get used to each other after a week or two, but I need a plan B if they don't. Has anyone had luck with Rescue Remedy or a pheromone spray? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue Remedy
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:32:24 pm »
Oh jeeze. I'm not sure if this was apparent, but Tippy is a Himalayan CAT. Not a dog. Lol
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:33:55 pm »
I would up on catnip - I would think that would be more effective on a cat then rescue remedy
RIP former BPO

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:09:34 pm »
I have never used Rescue Remedy on a cat...I know it works well on dogs though. As for the pheromone sprays I saw little reaction to them with dogs I have had here.

Now catnip may work, unless it makes her crazy high where she attacks the dog. My cat first gets crazy runs all over the house, even starts chasing the dogs, before he slips into the mellow zone out stage.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:54:41 pm »
Wow guys, thanks!

I'm lucky enough to have an awesome holistic pet food store that carries all that cool stuff as well. They didn't have Rescue Remedy (I think I gotta order it online) but I got some stuff by Solid Gold called "Pet Calmer" (I love their dog food, so I trusted it) that has ... let's see. The ingredients are: Peppermint, Sea vegetation, Chamomile, Kava-Kava, Valerian, Passion Flower, Skullcap, Goldenseal, Black Cohosh and Wood Betony.

The 8 oz thing of it was like 11 bucks, and it says to put 1/8 teaspoon per 15 pounds of beast. So I think it's pretty potent. I tried some out on Sky yesterday, and he was TOTALLY mellow. Which, for anyone who has never met a 2 year old Aussie, is a pretty big deal. May have given him a little gas though.. should I be worried? I also got a can of Innova wet cat food to mix it with because I don't think either cat will eat it mixed with just dry food. It's green and smells AWFUL, but the dogs were licking it off my fingers.  ::) Go figure.

I've never heard of this crap, but I wish I had gotten it BEFORE the fourth of July. :P Would have been useful.

It says give 3 hours prior to "stressful activity" so I'll give it to Rose before Tippy comes (for good) Saturday night, and then give it to Tippy as soon as she's here.

I'm thinking about a separate room to keep Tippy in for a while, but my room is Stinky's zone, and my sisters and parents don't let animals in their rooms (weird people...) I guess if it was really urgent she could be in the bathroom... but that is so heavily trafficed (sp?) I'd feel bad. She'd get no peace. Lol

So has anyone heard of this stuff? Any experiences with it? I think I'll order some rescue remedy just in case.  ;)

So cat nip. I've NEVER used it. If I try it, should I get like, the plant thing at the registers at Petsmart? Or is there a way to get it dried, or what? I feel so clueless when it comes to cats. Lol

Thanks!
Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 02:01:50 pm »
Ok, something I just thought of. The can of the green stuff says not for prolonged use, so it'll just be for the first day.. or four. But can I mix that, cat nip, and RR? I'm worried about some chemical reaction inside their tiny bodies! haha! I guess that is a question for the vet, not you guys.  ;)

Another worry I have. If they are doped up enough to stay mellow around each other for the adjustment period, I'll have to keep Sky from pestering them. I don't want them scared and defenseless. I guess we'll have to practice "leave it!".
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:43:05 am »
Ok, so she's here! I think the next two months are gonna be fun. She's a total lover and just want to cuddle. The dogs are unnerving her (even though all they do is walk around the bed she's hiding under) but her and Rose haven't had contact yet. I gave Rose the green stuff and she was ZONKED all night, and now she's just kinda sitting up on her bed on the back of the couch watching everyone walk by. Totally cheerful and peaceful. Tippy (who's name has sorta been changed to Tipsy because of her incredible lack of grace) is just chillin under my bed. I guess a lot of cats spend their days that way, but it is seriously weirding me out, because Rose is so social and out and about all the time. How long do you think she'll hide out for? I would really love her to be more a part of the family, because we're all absolutely SMITTEN.

Any further advice is appreciated.
Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:24:29 pm »
I think that hiding under the bed sounds totally normal for a kitty in a new place especially with another cat & dog around, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.  I bet that she'll be out & about the house though in no time if the other furries make her feel fairly welcome.  You may want to add another litter box though for awhile.  It's not uncommon for a cat to be unwilling to share their litter box and that can cause some "accidents" under the bed, closet, etc..   ;) 

I would be a little hesitant though personally to use something that makes them sleepy for so long.   :-\  But I know that catnip is safe & it's worked really well here, so I would definitely recommend that.  You can get catnip in dried or fresh versions, though I've only used dry.  I've seen it make some cats sleepy & mellow and other's get silly & rip-roaring playful.  Some cats will eat it, other's will just rub it all over their faces.  It can be really fun to watch them.   ;)  ;D  It's really nice of you to kitty-sit for them.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:04:20 pm »
Yeah, that's on my list. She hasn't gone to the bathroom the whole time she's been here (16 hours) so I'm sure she needs to. I'll probably get 2 smaller ones to put around along with the one hugenormous one we have.

It's a little too strong for my comfort, but I think I'll keep them on it until I can try catnip. Should I get dry of fresh? Which will last longer/have the best effects?

Tippy lives in a VERY busy household, and I know she's in their garage when no one is home. I think she kinda gets forgotten about and isn't used to being so high profile. Haha! Everyone here is fascinated by her. Honestly, if everything works out, we might end up keeping her. The owner is going through a divorce and is in the middle of helping her daughter move, and is doing a lot of traveling. She knows Tip deserves better than the life she's been living. It's just a question of whether or not our house will actually be better for her. I really hope she cheers up soon!

I think I'll take some pictures of her as soon as she emerges, because she is the most beautiful cat. Except for the buzz cut... :P
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 02:52:56 pm »

It's a little too strong for my comfort, but I think I'll keep them on it until I can try catnip. Should I get dry of fresh? Which will last longer/have the best effect?

Dry catnip should work just fine.  It's easy to find, most grocery stores even have it in the pet aisle.  I like to buy it in a plastic package (not already inside a toy mouse or something).  It seems to be fresher & have more scent that way.  You can put some down in the toe of an old sock and tie it shut and they'll usually love it.  Don't be surprised though if they tear up the sock to get to the catnip.  My male cat will even eat it.   ;)  Silly kitties.   ;D
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 03:06:28 pm »
Thank you so much! I'll let you know what they think of it! Rose has never had catnip before... So I'm super curious how she'll react.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 03:12:31 pm »
You are very welcome!  I can't wait to hear how it goes.  They may just sniff it and rub on it a little at first, but usually it picks up from there.  LOL!  Should be fun to watch.   :D
Marie

And my pups: