Author Topic: Tell me about your Newf!  (Read 9360 times)

HyPrice

Tell me about your Newf!
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:34:18 pm »
A lot of you on the boards have Newfs--tell me all about them please! Anything you can think; their personality, how you trained them, what they eat, how potty training went, quirks they have, etc. etc.
My parents are thinking of "adopting" my puppy (a mini aussie) and if they do, I'm going straight to get a Newf (well after carefully researching breeders).

Thanks all!
Oh, and post pics if ya have 'em! :D

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about your Newf!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:32:09 pm »
I have a 6 month old Newfoundland mix named Tank. We rescued him from a kill shelter when he was around 2 months old.

Let me tell you about Tank. He is so sweet and loyal. Tank can be very stubborn sometimes but learns new things quickly. He is very smart but does like lots of attention and exercise. He is 6 months old and weighs 56 lbs. He loves to chew so, toys and bones are a must! He is big boy but purbred Newfies are even bigger at 6 months! He is a wonderful dog and was housebroken from the minute we got
him!

We have dachshunds so, Tank was really easy to us!

The first picture is of him at the shelter.
The second one is of him at 6 months old now.(My Mom is holding him and you can tell how big he is!)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:36:35 pm by KatysTank »

HyPrice

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:26:55 pm »
Wow he is one BIG boy! Thank you for the reply. I'm sure he is really greatful that you rescued him, that's wonderful! He looks like a beauty!
Dachshunds...I was looking into getting one as a friend breeds them--I hear they are VERY stubborn, haha.

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:42:03 pm »
The first thing you need to know that newf get very attached to their owners and are forever dogs, you cannot decide to have one and passit on later. it destroys them. i have had a few newf rescues and even though they have had bad/cruel owners they still seem sad when you first get them.
I also think tha newfs should be inside with their owners. I know some might disagree, but they like to be part of their family and are much better behaved if they are. We kennel ours when we are at work (a large 6'run with indoor kennel attached)And as soon as we are homethey are in or outside with us. We do not seem to have had any behaviour problems with ours and as I stated before we have had a few rescue newfs. We go to obedience training for at least two levels and with all our puppies we have also gone to puppy school. We do a lot of swimming with our dogs and we never have kept a single dog. we presently have one newf, one golden cross and one Australian kelpie work dog. Please think very carefully before buying a newf. they take a lot of grooming and commited care and feeding. In return you get amazing devotion and a lot of laughs. But please do not get one if you do not keep your dogs forever, you will destroy their trust and they so do not deserve that. :-[

Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:56:34 am »
I agree. Tank hates being outside and want to be with us all the time. They are inside housedog but, at the same time like lots exercise. They are people dogs and LOVE attention and love!

They shed ALOT and need to be brushed ALOT! So, if you are not wanting a dog you have to brush and groom, I would not suggest a newfie or any longhaired or double coated breed. They are wonderful, sweet, dogs and are very loyal.

It seems like newfies love everyone!

I would take your newfie puppy to obedience classes. Because they will push you around if you do not act like you are the boss or do not teach them anything.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 10:20:27 am »

My parents are thinking of "adopting" my puppy (a mini aussie) and if they do, I'm going straight to get a Newf (well after carefully researching breeders).

Sorry, I don't want to sound mean but did you do a carefull research of Aussie breed before getting a puppy?
Newfs are soooooo much different by all standards I just don't see how you are going from aussie straight to Newfie ???
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:24:11 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:23:08 pm »
As with People Whisperer I think many of us wonder why your parents are possibly adopting your current aussie? Perhaps your wording has put us off without knowing your circumstances. We are a very protective bunch here at BPO with a strong desire for all dogs to stay in a forever homes. We strongly urge prospective owners to do thorough research of the dogs they want in addition to the circumstances from which they come.

It sounds like you are trying to become informed and I would like to encourage you to continue researching this wonderful breed.

In addition to their family bonding and grooming needs there could very well be extra medical costs associated with large and giant breeds. You'll want to be equally prepared to give your new Newf the best medical care to ensure a long and happy life for the both of you. :)

Offline wiggi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 11:43:34 am »
Hiya, I have 2 Newfies and they're both completely opposite. Jaspa my oldest is very affectionate towards me and my family but not good with strangers. He loves the water and drools like you wouldn't believe. Murphi is great with everyone and everything, he loves people and other dogs. He hates the water with a passion and only ever drools after going for a long walk. Before getting a Newfie you need to do alot of research because i researched the breed for 2 years before i bought my first and there are still things that astound me about the breed. All the research in the world doesn't prepare you for the veterinary bills, the amount you pay for a good quality dog food and the amount i have to pay every 2 months when i take them to the groomers to keep them in great condition. If after all this you still decide that a Newfie is for you then be prepared to spend the next 10 years with a sidekick who will shower you with affection (and drool) for most of the day.
mother to: Jaspa - 2yr old newfie
           Murphy - 6mnth old landseer newfie
           Tiny - 9yr old (little paw) crossbreed

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:13:07 pm »
Rudder is our 2 1/2 yr old newf. He is your typical drooly and shedding boy. He is weighing in at 165 pounds and still skinny...he is very large for the breed. He has a stubborn side, but is just the sweetest pooch. All he wants to do is be around people 24/7. He is unbelievably gentle with my 3 month old son...despite his size!! We give him baths everyother week (unless he is doing water training, then it is every week) and gets brushed every night. You do not want to let a newfs coat get away from you!!!! He is our first "son" and will always be a contributing member of the family. We do obedience, water and draft work at the moment with him....he is also a big ham and loves having his picture taken!