Author Topic: My puppy is eating frogs I think!!!  (Read 12557 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
My puppy is eating frogs I think!!!
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:40:26 pm »
Can eating mini frogs harm a dog? While I am not fond of this little habit she has I am more concerned about health effects? I try and correct her when I catch her and have tried to get her to drop it...not my luck.
anyone else have this problem??
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
Re: My puppy is eating frogs I think!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:55:30 pm »
Sorry, I have no idea what the health effects would be from a dog eating mini-frogs....but had to reply to say "Ewwwwwwww!" 

Also, love the photo of your Pyr & Berner pup- too cute! They are beautiful.

Sarah
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:48:30 am »
Frogs here are on the endangered list so they try to save them. Lucky me they don't get near my house.
I think it depends on what kind of frogs they are. And seeing as you are just complaining about her eating them and no side effects that they are probably harmless... just icky to watch.  :o
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:14:26 am »
Smoe frogs and toads have toxins in their skin/glands so you may want to watch out. However, if she's been eating them with no symptoms for awhile you may be okay.

Modified to say smoe=some ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:29:46 pm by 2Criminals »

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:35:24 pm »
Ugh.  Been there done, that, and no harm done.  This is the first summer at my house that I've pretty much been frog/toad free. 

I live towards the end of a cul-de-sac.  Prior to my moving in what was once forest (and I assume swamp) was turned into an apartment complex.  This wrecked havoc on our ego-system, and for the past three years I could not step a foot in my yard in the spring/summer without killing at least 3-4 baby toads/frogs.  Bo had a field day!  It was gross, but no harm came of it, for us at least.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:40:40 pm »
Gunner eats bugs, green tree frogs and as of today a lizard!!  So far we havent seen any tummy upset from it.  I try to stop him as soon as I catch him but the "drop-it" command makes him chew and swallow even faster.
This dog is all boy(ok, and dog too)!!  Kira just chases and mutilates things with fur,  she doesnt eat them.  She will follow and watch the frogs and lizards and maybe paw at them but she doesnt put her mouth on them at all.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:14:28 pm »
he just gets a rank foul gas that we call mouse farts.

That is too funny Stella. I used to keep a doggy door in for my cat and Jack Russel, they liked to bring mice and baby birds in and let them loose to play with in the house.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:47:01 am »
Something I can commiserate with.  Kaila has been eating toads for the past week or so.  She keeps coming in with a foamy mouth.  Toads produce a toxin that makes them taste bad but apparently not too bad for Miss Kaila.  She keeps doing it.  So far they haven't hurt her other than the foamy mouth and she will only go after them at the last outing for her potty run before bed.  I guess because I can't see them to stop her.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience