Author Topic: Thoughts on prong collars? Need HELP!  (Read 17869 times)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on prong collars? Need HELP!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 07:17:02 pm »
The prong collar saves my a** with Bo.  To be honest, we were somewhat lazy walking him as a puppy.  We have a huge backyard and did leash training there, and somehow I thought that would be enough.  Until real life stimuli were involved.  Ha!

He is a puller, and he suffers more without a prong than with.  The prong is like a gentle reminder, "Wait, I'm choking myself, and it kind of hurts!"  Without it, that darn dog could run/walk 10 miles and still pull!

I felt really bad about it too, when I first got one (my first obedience class instructor turned me on, but still). They sell plastic ones now, that look more like regular collars.  Makes it look less like you are walking some vicious dog (which makes me feel better on the inside).
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 10:23:02 pm »
I'm glad to hear that others use them, too. I've tried all kinds of harnesses and leashes, and the prong collars have worked better than those. I would like something that worked a bit better. Riley can still drag me out into the street if I don't plant my heels when he sees a dead animal or an empty cup (I don't get it, either, but he has to check them out), and the prong collar is the only thing that's worked halfway decently. 99% of the time, I don't need them on either dog, but on the rare occasion that they want to see something in the middle of the street or want to chase a cat into a yard despite me saying 'no', the collars have worked fairly well. I still end up mostly relying on strength, unfortunately, which is why I keep trying new things.

Offline BigIrishDogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 07:34:34 pm »
I have always used them, to great effect, and zero ill-effect. I have been using prongs for 20 years or so, and not one dogs has ever been injured, nor even seemed bothered by them. They are a great tool when used correctly, and fit well. As was already mentioned  ;)

They are illegal at AKC functions, so I made this little cozy thingies to hide my dogs prongs, and I haven't been caught yet!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 04:24:54 pm »
I tried a prong collar with Lady once.  She still pulled me.  Big dogs have so much bulk in their necks that prong collars don't "hurt" them.  Maybe that's why some ignore it.  I ended up having better luck with harnesses, with and without the nose muzzle.  The muzzle always was so easy for them to wiggle out of, but the harness was just the right fit for me to get that extra amount of control during training.  I personally don't like prong collars, but if that's what works for you and if that's what helps you train your dogs, I say use it.  They all learn differently.  The problem with them is that they are essentially a collar and big dogs are best at pulling with their shoulders and upper body and collars aren't a big deterent in discouraging the pull behavior.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 04:46:27 pm »
As everyone has already said, the prong collar doesn't hurt and is a good training tool that keeps you both safe by reducing pulling. But I have a warning: in my experience prongs can pop open when you are walking a dog. It happened 2-3 times with Zoey (and she wasn't even pulling when it happened if I remember correctly). The first time the people at the pet store told us we had weakened the links because we would use random links to open it so you should always open it from the end link. So we bought a whole new collar and were really careful about opening and closing it, then it still happened. So we stopped using it with Zoey. We haven't used it on Penny because she's just a puppy, but if we do in the future I will use a back-up collar in case it opens.
RIP former BPO

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 05:12:26 pm »
But I have a warning: in my experience prongs can pop open when you are walking a dog. It happened 2-3 times with Zoey (and she wasn't even pulling when it happened if I remember correctly).
Yep, it's nice to know! That is why the link Julie posted mentioned to use another type of collar along with the prong :) I think it is very important and most people don't know about it ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 07:38:17 pm »
I finally bought prong collars for my two when I was almost hit by a car while being dragged across a busy street by Bear, charging after another dog. Within one walk, his behavior was perfect. The prong - when properly fitted - simply reminded him to keep his attention on me. It just took the slightest movement of my wrist to get his attention, which I did when he didn't respond to my verbal command. He never mis-behaved again, and learned to respond to the verbal in order to avoid the slight pinch from my wrist action. My dog walker's 8-yr old daughter could walk Bear in complete confidence!

Nakita took a day or so longer but she also learned to respond to the command to avoid the pinch. She sometimes needs a refresher but it's sooooo worth it. They both were able to walk without stress and discomfort because of it.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes. 

:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »
The prong WORKS...pretty well.  I've taken Sophie on a couple walks and the prong definitely keeps her heeling when we're on our own.  She does still pull when she sees something new but she corrects herself quickly.  However, we took all four dogs out today and she was a total spaz.  I even walked her alone before hand to tire her out but once the others joined in, Sophie was pulling and jumping and choking herself.  Still, I did have better control so guess we just need more practice!  Thanks so much for all the advice/stories!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat