Author Topic: Accident - Feeling Guilty  (Read 10792 times)

Offline BHNY

• Gnawer
  • Maggie - My BMD
    • View Profile
    • Raising Eli
Accident - Feeling Guilty
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:35:14 pm »
Tonight I was playing with Maggie and threw a bone just left of her, she had been chasing a toy and started trying to chew an inappropriate object so I tossed the bone to get her attention. When I did it her back was towards me but foolishly I said her name, so as the bone hit the ground, Maggie turned her head towards is and one bounce later the bone pokes her hard right in the eye. Immediately she started wailing this horrible cry and started dancing around. The bone got her good and now her eye is all swollen and puffy. Talk about a horrible feeling.

Tomorrow we will evaluate the eye and bring her to the vet, I couldn't feel worse  :'(

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
Re: Accident - Feeling Guilty
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
accidents happen to all of us. Don't beat yourself up about it. I know you feel like poo... but try and cut yourself some slack. You were playing with your pup, how were you to know the bone would bounce!...  We'll send lots of get well kisses and wait for an update...
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

jesday

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:39:57 pm »
We've never done anything like that to our dogs. ;) Just don't ask Chili about the time my hubs didn't know he was in the covers and flung him across the room as he pulled them back to get into bed. Broke his little leg :'( Hubs felt bad for such a long time. Probably where Chili got a taste for Rotisserie Chicken. Hand fed fresh off the bird every night for weeks. :D

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:24:22 pm »
I'm sorry but I do not agree with everyone else on this...What you did was 100% on purpose and it is animal abuse! In light of this I will be arriving at your home to give Maggie the home she deserves ;)

For real though, I think most people have accidently hurt their dog at one time or another. My own father (when he was 17) backed over his Lab with the car...dog sneezed and walked away no harm down. Dogs forgive and move on.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:26:08 pm by VdogLover »

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:34:14 pm »
I hope that her eye is doing better!

And... as everyone says, it happens unfortunately.  I'll never forget when we brought Bo home as a puppy.  As we were walking in the door with our 9 week bundle of joy the phone started ringing.  My husband went downstairs into the basement to take the call.  I set the little tyke down and went to go get a fresh bowl of water for him.  Shadow sneaked out of our bedroom and cornered him in the kitchen to check him out.  Suddenly I heard, "Thump, thump, thump..."  To this day, I swear Shadow pushed him!  Unbeknowest to me, my husband accidentally left the basement door open.   :-[

The most ironic part were the breeder's exact words to us as she went over the contract and the health coverage, "We cover such and such, etc. but that doesn't count if he were to go home and fall down the stairs or something."

Bo was OK, of course, although I always wondered if he possibly received a bit of a head injury to account for his extra-energetic willful self.  I guess his entrance with a bang into our home was a good sign of the chaos he was about to bring us!
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

jesday

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:24:43 pm »
Gosh, here we go with memories. We brought Bud, our brand new 8 week old lab/Newf mix over to my mom's before we even got home. The girls were fighting over who was going to bring him in to show grandma. Before I could do anything, they dropped the little guy on the cement sidewalk and knocked him out cold. After several minutes of panic and calling the vet he was okay. Well, we don't really know what he would have been like if he hadn't have been dropped. Goofiest dog ever. Many times we called him Bud Lite ;D

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:46:09 pm »
Gosh, here we go with memories. We brought Bud, our brand new 8 week old lab/Newf mix over to my mom's before we even got home. The girls were fighting over who was going to bring him in to show grandma. Before I could do anything, they dropped the little guy on the cement sidewalk and knocked him out cold. After several minutes of panic and calling the vet he was okay. Well, we don't really know what he would have been like if he hadn't have been dropped. Goofiest dog ever. Many times we called him Bud Lite ;D

Thank-You!  I thought I was the only one who that could happen to!
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 12:36:01 am »
Darn bouncy bones anyway!  You wouldn't think of a bone bouncing...bal ls, yes...but bones?   :-\   Don't beat yourself up over it, accidents happen.  How is little Maggie doing now and how are you doing, too?   :(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:27:27 am »
Maggie is so cute!  How is she doing?  I know how awful you felt, it really does kick us in the gut when anything bad happens to our fur-kids, whether its something we do unintentionall y, or something their clumsy selves get into...its not easy.

For example- my hubby and I were out walking Tucker the other night, and along the route we take is a huge boulder that Tucker LOVES to climb up on, and jump off, its probably 2, 3? feet off the ground.

Tucker was sitting on top of the boulder, my hubby was right beside him, petting him.  Tucker put his front paws over Brent's shoulders, then his head, in a true dog-hug, and for some reason- my husband STEPPED AWAY!  (he claims he was pushed backwards by Tucker, but I have my doubts and think its more just poor judgement on his part).

Well, Tucker lost his balance and fell off the rock, landing with a thump and wail on the ground.  OMG we felt horrible, and Brent was sure he'd broken a leg.  It took about 7 minutes to convince Tucker to try to get up....he limped a little bit, but was fine after about 10 minutes, trying to get back on the rock again.  It happens.
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline BHNY

• Gnawer
  • Maggie - My BMD
    • View Profile
    • Raising Eli
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:22:08 am »
*****Update********

Brought Maggie to the Vet and after some very expensive tests determined that the eye was ok, just a "black eye" sort of speak. He gave us some drops for the pain and now a few days later, her eye looks almost back to normal - whew!

Unfortunately the BILL from the vet was shocking. Anyone use pet insurance? How has it worked for you?

Thanks everyone

Bernard

jesday

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 03:57:10 pm »
What a relief for both you and Maggie. She is adorable.

Most of the pet insurances I've looked into don't really cover the main ticket items. Just wellness exams and vaccinations, maybe teeth cleanings. To me it is not worth the extra expense of premiums x 2 plus everything else I have to pay for that are not covered. Allergy, growth & joint issues, medications, X-rays, strange sicknesses (coughing up blood), etc. Basically everything that is special about large breed dogs. ;)

My vet has a puppy program for their first year that includes all the basics for the first year. One price discounted about 20%. I think they took pity on me because of all the times I've been in so far because they give me a 20% discount on all visits.

I noticed they are building a new wing at the veterinary clinic. Rumor has it they are naming it the S & S Clinic.
(Just kidding, Sophie & Syrus would like to remain anonymous donors.)  :D