Author Topic: Bully sticks  (Read 7746 times)

jesday

Bully sticks
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:53:31 am »
What is a Bully Stick and are they safe for dogs. My bubs need something to chew on other than me. ??? And although tearing the stuffing out of their toys is great fun I'm sure, that takes about 2 seconds and they are ready for something else.

My vet shutters at anything raw hide for them. She told me even pigs ears can puncture an intestine. :P

Lyn

Re: Bully sticks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:16:51 am »
Bubba and Lola love bully sticks but they do eat them rather quickly. So I buy them more as a treat every once in awhile.

They are made from dried bull penis. LOL My hubby chucked one across the room when I told him what they were. LMAO

OMG LMAO I just found this site that explains how they are made. http://www.bullysticks4dogs.com/bully_sticks_made.htm Bull pizzles!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:19:37 am by Lyn »

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:27:44 pm »
Interesting about how they are made.  Too bad they didn't explain though why they are so damn expensive.   :-\ 

My obedience instructor calls them d*ck sticks.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:48:32 pm by DaneInsane »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:33:37 pm »
If you buy them in bulk it's not so bad. Jenn posted this website last year and now I always buy it from there

http://www.bullysticksonline.com/servlet/the-Free-Range-ODOR-dsh-FREE-Bully-Sticks/Categories

It's around $2 for 12' where is in the store it's $5-6
It takes Lily one week to chew on one  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:00:20 pm »
OMG Thank goodness they don't look like what they are. Might be a good training tool for hubs though.

When they make you mad you could wave one in his face and say,
"See this?" and toss it to the dogs. ;D

Thanks for the info. I think I will try one from a pet store and if they like them I'll order from the bulk site. Thanks for providing.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:58:44 pm »
Interesting about how they are made. Too bad they didn't explain though why they are so damn expensive. :-\

My obedience instructor calls them dick sticks.

Hi

AHHH They are expensive becuase of insurance needed for the person who goes in to harvest the things!!! ;)
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 02:28:39 pm »
Clifford and Annie love bully sticks but both finish theirs in about 10 minutes. I do give them raw hides because they need to chew something and they last longer. (just don't tell anyone, I know they are bad for them)I find pigs ears too stinky to give them and they are finished equally quick.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 04:20:02 pm »
I think pig ears in excess is a bad idea, but I've given them to all the dogs I've had.  I'm sure the digestion isn't the easiest thing on a tummy.  Bully sticks/raw hides get the hairy eyeball from my vet too.  Grace has never had a problem with digesting them, but recently I was searching for answers to blood in her urine and thought it might be the raw hide she had spent 10 hours eating.  I hid them from her and haven't given them back to her and actually think the blood was caused by a medication she was taking. 
I feel bully sticks in moderation are great.  Too many cause weight problems and possibly stomach issues.  One of the vets Grace sees (I call him the Dog Nazi since he has strong objections to most anything dogs like) caves in and tells me to be stern and not give her treats, expecially raw hides, in excess.