Author Topic: Thank you so much, BPO'ers!  (Read 5689 times)

Gentian

Thank you so much, BPO'ers!
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:10:21 pm »
A few weeks ago, I joined, wondering if I should really take a chance on adding a third dog to our household. We love big dogs, my husband wanted a Newf, and I just happened to fall for a 140-pound puppy. I asked if it was worth all the negatives. You all said yes. And you were right.  :)

A few short weeks later, I cannot imagine my life without Bosco now. He is the perfect compliment to our other two dogs, loves our cats, loves my son, and despite some typical older puppy issues and some abandonment issues, he is such an easy dog, relatively speaking. (And keeping in mind that my girl dog is a Catahoula.  :-X )

Some things I didn't even consider:

I knew he would drool, but I didn't expect to wake up with dried hair and goobers cemented to my arm because he came for kisses in the middle of the night.

I didn't realize that despite a full water bowl, I'd have to wait for him to finish drinking from the toilet before I can use the bathroom in the morning, and by the time it's my turn, the bowl is empty. But at least he puts the seat down.

I didn't realize that this dog who doesn't mind running full speed into fences while playing with his dog sister would understand that he has to be gentle around children, even when he's excited.

I didn't expect him to try to comfort our older thunderstorm phobic dog during storms by staying near him the whole time, even resisting the younger dog's attempts to play.

So anyway, thank you. Without your input, I may have decided not to bring him home, and that would have been such a huge mistake.

Amanda

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:11:58 pm by Gentian »

lookingfornewf

Re: Thank you so much, BPO'ers!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:00:14 pm »
If you can take the drool and their look that says "get your butt off my waterbowl", I think you have found the right dog. Congratulation s. We would love to see more pictures of your dogs. You can never post too many pictures here.

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:29:49 pm »
So you know it's true love when.....the dried slobber on your arm only solidifies in your mind that you made the right decision.....

Congratulation s!

jesday

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:19:43 am »
Sounds like a happy match. I keep the whole seat closed. I got tied of sitting on a wet seat. I made the mistake of letting them drink out of the hose though, and now they must have running water. They just stand by the hose waiting for the magic water to come out. Doesn't matter how much fresh water is in their bowls.

How they train us. :D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 01:38:37 pm »
I'm so glad that things have worked out so wonderfully with your family. I can't imagine a better pairing in your home. Next we need to see pics of the new crew now that they are getting adjusted.  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:10:07 pm »
I'm so very happy for all of you!  :-*  Chalk up another adoption in part to BPO.    :)   

Our family has benefited greatly from BPO, too.  I was very tempted to adopt from rescue when we got Halley but my hubby & I were afraid of potential behavioral problems b/c our youngest son was very little at the time, so we bought her from a breeder.  Not long after we lost her to cancer  :'( , I found BPO but I was shy & just lurked for quite awhile.  Still, reading all the happy adoption stories on BPO and helping out rescue, helped me to have the confidence to try adoption myself.  So I have always chalked up Sammy & Cassie's happy endings in large part to the influence of BPO, too.  Someday it would be fun to have a virtual show of hands (lol) for how many dogs were happily adopted thanks to the encouragement of BPO.   :-*   ;D  I hope that Michael & Jaime read this, because you two have done very, very good!   ;)   :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees