Author Topic: Chew Toys for Big Paws - Need Help  (Read 15331 times)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Chew Toys for Big Paws - Need Help
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:42:23 am »
Does anyone have a favorite chew/tug toy that will really last?

Tink destroys everything I give her in a matter of minutes. She went through 3 tennis balls yesterday. She can shred a rope in minutes. When she does I find most of it in the yard. It looks like she pooped out a half dozen socks. So I am afraid to buy them for her anymore. I bought some of the bully sticks and again it was gone in minutes. She actually goes up to our willow tree out front (about 30' tall) grabs a branch and "Shakes the tree" until something falls loose and she takes off with it into the shade to chew on it.She is only 6 months old. Lord help the landscaping!

She is real good about leaving our shoes and stuff alone, but if I don't find something else she can chew that will entertain her I am afraid we will all go barefoot!lol

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Chew Toys for Big Paws - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:47:10 am »
we too love the BadCuz. JW toys are amazing. i swear by them. they also make these breath bones- our dogs love them also. Hmm we just got a new ball for zero its lasted a week so far, and no problems... Daramax i think- he got it from a sales rep that went into the vetclinic.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:51:23 pm »
As far as toys go ropes last a long time with us.  But you can't buy just any rope.   You have to buy either the 3 ft long rope with multiple knots in it (giant sized) or you have to buy the giant roped with knots about the size of a baby's head (at least 6 inches diameter).  They also sell mini tires with ropes attached.  We use that as an outside toy.  Very durable tire too.

We have a Cuz ball but no one likes it........and really it is way too big for N&P to lug around........ .lol.

We also like the stuffed soupbones you can get at most pet stores.  Come in various flavors.  We have about 8 or so hanging around that have lasted a number of years although a couple are getting a bit small.  Along the same lines, I've heard deer antlers are awesome chewtoys.

And for kongs, you want to get the more expensive black ones.  they are far tougher than their red counteparts.

You will be paying more for the long lasting toys.  I haven't bought any new non stuffy toys in awhile but if i remember right the ropes cost anywhere from $15-$20.  Large stuffed soupbones are around $5-$7.  Antlers are quite a bit more.  Kongs are around $15-$20 as well.

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:59:10 pm »
We all know St. Bernies are "Search & Rescue" dogs. Well, Labs are notorious "Search & Wrecker" dogs. Libby is THE grand champion S & W Dog. (and I work from home--so she is never alone) The only toy she has not annihilated is a horse toy. Seriously. I bought her a "Jolly Ball" among other horse toys from InventorsSpot, but I know you can buy the "Jolly Ball" at Petsmart. Try it-you will be amazed. And the JB has a smaller grip ring on top so they can pack the toy around with them. Libby throws hers in their swimming pool.    
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:59:29 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:08:37 am »
Harley is a tough chewer but likes stuffed animals so we also have the suspisious chicken and he loves the naughty kitty we have gone thru at least 7 (over 4 years) he actually still has the kitty he received in the BPO holiday exchange 2 years ago - both legs are gone and it looks awful but he loves it - I have replaced it but he prefers the original.  We have about 7 from the line the lamb, referree, mailman, 2 cats, snake, cow...Harley is a bit spoiled!!

Good luck

Randy and Harley

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:32:22 am »
I agree, Jo, the JW toys are high quality...I do remove the feet off the Cuzes, because my girls will do it otherwise. I'm afraid they will choke. They also have the JW Triple Ring, which is great for tug of war: http://www.dogtoys.com/triplelink1.html

our large ones (we have about 5 or 6) all have feet still! the medium ones, are foot less. but the bullies are OBSESSED. we tried the rings, jigsaw tore it to shreds, which kinda sucked, but it lasted about a week  :D
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

jesday

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:40:59 am »
Are my kids just weird. The only thing they like to do is take the stuffing out of things. I have a basket full of toys they don't like. Even soft things like ropes or rope balls just stay there. Nothing rubber or plastic.

They will however take the stuffing out of any stuffed animal, pillow, garage door and dog house!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:19:51 am »
Are my kids just weird. The only thing they like to do is take the stuffing out of things. I have a basket full of toys they don't like. Even soft things like ropes or rope balls just stay there. Nothing rubber or plastic.

yeah, mine are the same.  they really don't use the ropes much anymore, but they used them alot when teething.  No hard toys, except for the stuffed soupbones.  Everything else is stuffie central.  Lucky for me, I only have one serious destuffer right now.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:02:19 pm »
I would HIGHLY recommend Ruff Tools by Ruff Dawg...not designed as a chew toy so use at your own risk BUT I have 2 Bullmastiffs with high chew drives who LOVE it. We are on Hammer #2 (it's the toughest tool) and it is still going strong, not even missing any bits yet. Phelan took at least 3 months to damage the first one and was playing with it everyday. Kahn destroyed all of Phelan's puppy kongs within 2 days of being here and her black med sized kong. The girl can chew!! We now have XXL black kong, the hammer, a felt rope toy and BF's workout leg wrap which are all surviving nicely. Another good toy that I believe Kathryn recommended earlier is a Nalgene like bottle that you can put treats into and a rope that goes into the neck of the bottle, the rope prevents the treats from coming out easily but the smell of treats keeps them trying ;D Most other chews with the exception of real bones get destroyed here.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:06:12 pm by 2Criminals »

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 04:29:41 pm »
Just a note to those reading about toys.... we had an incident with a rope toy and I highly recommend staying clear of them. Meli was about 1 when she woke up one night with severe diarrhea and vomiting. We rushed her to the vet only to find that she had a blockage which required surgery. They had to open her intestines and fish out pieces of a rope toy that had gotten knotted in her stomach. Upon going home and inspecting the rope toy, it didnt look like it was destroyed at all. The tag on the toys say to watch and throw them out when they begin to unravel. Well, this one looked practically new. So when she came home, we watched her play with it under close eye to see what was going on and saw that she was getting her tooth under one string and it was coming out with the rest of the toy unharmed. If you didnt see it happen you wouldnt guess that any strings were missing. So, of course it was tossed and she has never touched a toy with a rope since. If you have them, be careful...
it was a rope toy like this one
http://www.dogtoys.com/ropebones2.html
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 04:48:35 pm »
Mean kitties and suspicious chickens have all been gutted in my house.  All stuffed toys are beheaded and then gutted.  I'm not really sure what that says about my pups or me.  I've had great luck with the jolly ball even though Shiner is on his 3rd one.  We have the second tire that has survived Shiner.  Also have a ball (that I can't remember who it's made by but it looks like a snowball) that has proven indestructible because Kaila has 2 and they have lasted since before Christmas.  Ropes work here and cow hooves last for a couple of days.  I buy the largest bully stick I can from Petsmart and cut in 2 pieces and give one to each of my dogs.  It takes them an hour to chew it up. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:54:51 pm »
I like the paw tracks toys by mammoth pet - they are made of real tire and pretty much indestructable .

I also really like treat dispensing toys - they keep the pups entertained in a way other than chewing

Penny's favorites are probably things she can shred though  ;)
RIP former BPO

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 02:43:16 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I bought the tire on a rope from mammouth toys and she shredded it in less than an hour. She also threw up four times last night. The toy smells like cheap Chinese rubber and would not recommend it.

I did find a nylabone that is super heavy duty. It is more "rubber" than "plastic". So far so good, it weighs about 5-6lbs though.

Everything else is gone in a matter of minutes or an hour. Would like to find something that would tolerate her teeth, but not make her sick when it falls apart and she eats it.

She loves rope toys, but has them pulled apart in no time. She tears up frisbees and then they have those sharp edges.

I am simply at a loss. I would like to find an old saddle or something and just let her go to town!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 03:46:39 pm »
Thanks for the list Liz. I'm going shopping, :D

The only toy we have that's still in one piece in the x-large black Kong. Bubba loves rope toys but he'll stand on them and shred it.  :-\

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 04:33:32 pm »
After reading the original post for help, I tried several of the toys mentioned. All I tried were gone in a matter of days! Try the "Jolly Ball" mentioned in my first reply. It's actually a horse toy--but the JB is the only toy Jolene hasn't managed to shred. For those who want ??? to know--Black Mouth Curs are southern dogs raised to hunt wild boars. TMI for me--this girl was a rescue pup and will have to be satisfied with bacon strips. I have never see a dog run like she can or shred.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:35:32 pm by yellow_dog_mom »