Author Topic: Stinky dog  (Read 6132 times)

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
  • Petra - my beautiful Bouvier!
    • View Profile
Stinky dog
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:32 pm »
So I have finally decided what food I'm going to feed my Bouv - Eagle Large Breed - and have started switching her on it (I had a little bit of Medi from her breeder and Iams, but wanted to go with something that sounded a bit more healthy). 

It has only been one day and Oh My Goodness . . . I'm not sure if I can handle her farts.  They are stinky as anything.  Has anyone else experienced this before?  Do they calm down after they have adjusted to the new food?  Yuck!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Stinky dog
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:21:18 pm »
A quick switch can lead to an upset tummy with stinky consequences.  :-\ Stick with the new food for a while and see if things calm down. Bear is on Eagle Pack and does fabulous. He too is in a slow switch from regular to senior food, luckily no smells are emerging though.  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:23:51 pm »
Mine are also on eagle Pack. Great stuff. Last time I switched foods, it was like a stink bomb had gone off! Bear with it... they will adjust. Are you mixing just a small amount in with his old food and gradually making the switch? You may need to slow down the transition if his body is not handling it well...
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
  • Petra - my beautiful Bouvier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »
Thanks!  I will mix more of her old with the new and take longer for the switch.  She seems to like it and has lots of energy when she's awake (maybe a bit too much!! - lol).

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:25:42 pm »
it depends.  I would imagine it varies by breed or dog.  Grace being a rott has gas issues.  One of the perks of having a rott is major gas.  The less fattening food i use the less gas she has.  but she finds other ways to stink me out. 

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:20:56 am »
yep, I switched my girl from Hills Science Diet large breed puppy (which was probably one of the worst things to feed her) to Eagle Pack Hollistic Giant Breed Puppy. I took probably 4 weeks to make the switch. She still gets some gas now and again (usually at night when her butt is near my pillow  :D :o) But the one thing I saw was after several weeks she had a huge amount of sheading and now her coat is so shinny and super soft. Great dog food and I buy it online with free shipping.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties