Author Topic: What to feed my Neo  (Read 7522 times)

Offline HEAVY-D

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
What to feed my Neo
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:47:22 pm »
I am not sure what kind of dog food to feed my Neo, Their are so many different types of dog foods out their which one should i feed him. i have looked up alot of info. about dog foods online but one will say feed your dog this and the next one will tell me no dont feed him that feed him this. I know not to feed him one that has corn in it but they all have corn in them. And I am not doing the raw diet.
Can someone help me?

Offline SirdanceAlot

• Ankle Biter
  • Im to sexy for this floor.
    • View Profile
Re: What to feed my Neo
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 01:21:45 pm »
Whats up Heavy,  There is a whole section on food and Nutrition.  I mean they go so in debt about the ingredients and differnt name brands its a little hard to understand.  They even have a list of good quality foods.  Then of course everybody has there favorites.  Im in germany and im a retarded american who doest speak German (but im working on that)so my selection is rather limited.  With the name brands.  I wanted to try Innova from all the good things people from this site said about it, but they do not sell that out here.  and i havnt found it online.  So eukinuba is what my Spazz eats.  it was between that and science diet.  H

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:38:06 am »
Not all the food has corn...You can't go wrong with Innova, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Solid Gold, Canidae, Wellness and Verus.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 12:55:05 am »
I feed my pup Eagle Pack for large breed puppy (shes only almost 4 months old.) I used to feed Eukanuba but she has HOD, so I needed something without all the fillers and crap and that would slow down her growing so that her HOD would subside a bit. Aside from the million and one suppliments she has to have in it.... i like the food. and she seems to like it a lot too!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 02:53:26 am »
My dogs are on different foods, Tonka and Nala are on Pinnacle Duck and Potato because of Tonka's IBD, right now Adak is on Eukanuba Lg. Breed and a mixture of raw, I get Raw Instincts Patties and love them, also he gets chicken legs, thighs, turkey necks and chicken breast. I am not too fond of the corn in it, but his poo is very good and I am going to switch him when I change to adult food. I tried everything with Tonka, loved Solid Gold, it was my favorite, but she is allergic to salmon. I also really like Eagle Pack Holistic, Giant/Lg Breed Eagle Pack does have corn but it is down the list. The most important thing is that real meat is the first ingredient.

Offline HEAVY-D

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 02:30:19 pm »
What is HOD?

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:58:16 pm »
What is HOD?

HOD stands for Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy . Its where the bones grow too rapidly and unevenly. it causes extreame pain in the joints, swelling in the joints, and high fevers. some days (most days lately) shes inable to walk at all. its very painful, and if it isnt kept under controll she can die from it. Unfortunately now i went to another vet to get another opinion on what to do with her since my vet just seemed uninterested in helping me (not calling me back, not explaining any x-rays to me, etc.) he doesnt think she has HOD, he thinks she has a bacterial infection in the bone. soooo hes getting another opinion from a vet he knows in canada for me. he says shes the best vet hes ever known. hopefully i can get some more answers here and theyll tell me whats really going on!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline italiafamilia

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 01:11:46 pm »
I feed my 1 year old Neo, Dago, (who is 38" tall and 175lbs.) Bil-jac hard food formulated for large breeds, Blue Buffalo canned food (his fave is vennison), and I cook him fresh meat (i.e. chicken, beef or steak, or pork). I've heard that onions, raw potatoes, and too many tomatoes are bad dogs... I also give him "doggie desserts" made by Natural Choice. He loves those....  ;)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 02:17:27 pm »
I agree that the majority of choosing the right food is based on the specific needs of your dog, and just knowing the basics of dog food ingredients. You're on the right track with the no corn thing, but there is so much more. Since I am 16 and don't have a job, I kinda have to work with my parents on an affordable, healthy food. Sky was on a couple different foods at first, trying to find a good one, but for the majority of his puppy-hood he ate Blue Buffalo Lamb & Rice puppy. Then when he hit a year and a half, I put him on half that, and half Blue Buffalo Duck and Potato Adult. (with raw meat) The other dogs were on half Authority Harvest Baked, half BB Duck and Potato. Now that Bailey has passed, and Sky is 2, both Sky and Sammie are on all Authority Harvest Baked Adult Lamb formula. I'm pretty happy with it! I wish I could afford better, but for now that (with raw meat) is what I can manage. They both get 2 T oats w/ water in the morning, and they both get a raw egg every night. Their poops are perfect, and I think it's a pretty balanced diet.

Good luck with you neo, they're beautiful dogs!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 02:40:42 pm »
I feed my Akita and my mastiff Blue Buffalo and Wellness and rotate the  different proteins. 
 I am limited in my area as to what foods I can buy without having to drive over 50 miles.
I was having Eagle pack shipped to me but the shipping costs are almost half of what 1 bag of food costs.

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak