Author Topic: Is this really a neo mastiff??  (Read 17022 times)

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
Is this really a neo mastiff??
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:01:21 am »
These people say this is a 12 week old Neopolitan Mastiff? It does not look like one to me. Is it??

http://memphis.kijiji.com/c-Pets-Dogs-puppies-Neopalitan-Mastiff-W0QQAdIdZ67468504

If so, I wish I could have her! She is so adorable but does not look like a Neopolitan to me. She has no wrinkle.

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: Is this really a neo mastiff??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:19:46 am »
I am not a NEO expert but have been around many younger NEO's and have never seen one that looked like that.  The bone structure in the head is more of a lab and the color is off. NEO's are genrelly blue or silver with some variations and againthepictur e looks chocolate lab.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:22:43 pm »
Definitly not the standard but we have seen some that look similar to that except they did have some brow wrinkles.  I will try to take pictures of the couple in our neighborhood.  Thier male is the typical neo, jowls to the ground, droopy eyes and the cropped ears. The female however looks like a stocky weimer with a shorter and wider snout but no wrinkles and natural ears.  She was sold as pet quality and with a no-breeding contract because she is not of the standard conformation,  even though she supposedly comes from champion bloodlines.
They do come in colors of black, dark grey(blue) and chestnut or tawny.
We were researching this breed and met with a few breeders in WA state before we moved and they had puppies that looked like the one in the post.  One breeder tried to tell us that they would get their wrinkles later on as they grew, needless to say we crossed that breeder off our list.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:47:34 pm by KiraNGunnersmom »
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Medic_Chick

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 01:13:36 pm »
Not a chance. To begin with, look at the bone structure in the legs, body, etc. Neos are large, heavy boned lugs, not lightweight athletes. LOL ;)

2nd, no reputable breeder would A)Post their puppies on kajiji, or B) charge you $250 bucks for a pup. Molosers are typically poor whelpers, generally requiring c-sections to birth the puppies safely. A breeder can spend upwards of $6-8,000 by the time the bitch has been bred, pups are on the ground, and have gone to their new homes. $250/pup doesn't even begin to cover that cost.

The fact they mention nothing about AKC/CKC registration, or pup being a purebred, or familial lines, means it's most likely a backyard breeder who's thrown 2 dogs together (or they've gotten together of their own accord), with nary a though for genetics, bettering the breed, or breeding "true to type".

If you want a dog from a reputable breeder, check out the Neo Mastiff clubs http://www.neapolitan.org(U.S.) or http://www.nmcc.ca/index.asp(Canada), and ask lots of questions! Expect to pay big bucks for a good puppy too (My OEM was $2500, which is the going rate here in Canada). Just remember, don't let the sweet wrinkly face of a puppy blind you when it comes to health, bloodlines, temperament etc. Big dogs = big vet bills!!!

Most of all though, Happy Hunting!! ;D

These are typical 70 day old (or 10 week old) Neo puppies:
Alpha pack leader to:
Kfiera-GSD/X (6yr)
Boomer-Lab/X (1.5yr)
Marlie-OEM (4mos)
Katt-Rez kitty (u/k)

"In wilderness lies the salvation of the world" HD Thoreau

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:29:56 pm »
OMGOSH! No way! The pup looks like a (gorgeous) cross between a Lab and a Weimaraner.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:45:00 pm by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:08:30 pm »
I was pretty sure she was not a Neo! She is cute though.

Offline txliberty92

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 04:16:35 pm »
I have the same question about my puppy!
We have her papers, that say she's a neo,
but she didnt look like one when we got her,
and now that she's a year old she still doesn't,

this is lola when we got her at 3 or 4 months

and this is her now, at a year..

she meets all the size requirements, but i'm just not sure..

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 04:43:13 pm »
TxLiberty***Gosh, who even cares with that gorgeous face :-*
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:56:01 pm by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:41:23 pm »
Your Neo looks just like my neighbors and she is called the athletic "type".  I guess just like with OE mastiffs,  some have that big block head with smushed faces and others are not so typey with longer muzzles and lighter masks.
She is a beauty though.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:42:39 pm by KiraNGunnersmom »
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 05:50:20 pm »
There are 2 Cane Corsos that go to the dog park here, they are about the same age, and look NOTHING alike, the male is a typical Cane, drool and all, the female is more like the neo in the pics, looks like she could actually do a job.

Offline txliberty92

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 09:26:19 pm »
thanks everyone!
i was beginning to think she was just a cute little mutant ;),
glad to hear she's pretty normal