Author Topic: Wolf Hybrids...Any Thoughts?  (Read 18875 times)

AudgePadge

Wolf Hybrids...Any Thoughts?
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:27:40 pm »
Milo and I are fosters...but it hasn't been working out for me, since every foster I take in, I want to keep! (does that part ever get easier?)

Anyway, we were contacted by a Wolf-Hybrid rescue, they have one that is in desperate need of help.  And since we seem to have the reputation of "COME ON IN!!!!!!!" they decided to send me a PICTURE... why would anyone do that to me? I fell in love...however, he does need some socialization, and I do have small animals roaming not only the house, but the neighborhood.

I've seen my dad's wolf-dog jump an 8 foot fence like it was  nothing... :-/

What are your thoughts about these guys? They're beautiful, but can I really socialize one, and make him into a good pet? Am I a bad goat/chicken owner-is this putting them at risk?  I have a kennel with a roof...but I've heard of wolf-dogs being escape artists...not sure about this particular one...

Any advice for or against?

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Wolf Hybrids...Any Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:36:18 pm »
Here are my thoughts:

1. Wolf hybrids are GORGEOUS and can be very gentle, loving family pets.

HOWEVER:

2. Wolf hybrids are still, and always will be PART WOLF, and just like the latent wild tendencies we all see in our dogs (herding instincts, eating poop, marking territory, etc.), there is an excellent chance these have not been bred out of the hybrid.

I would suggest if you have small animals, chickens, etc. that you turn this foster down - especially since he needs socialization.

These are HUGE dogs that will need a lot of training before they are family-ready and, it sounds like, this is probably not the best foster placement for your household.

Don't feel like you're letting the dog down. They can find a better foster home for him that won't jeopardize the permanent pets.

And, no, sorry, the desire to keep every foster NEVER gets easier.  Just remember, the more you keep, the fewer you can foster and save.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

AudgePadge

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:41:45 pm »
My thoughts exactly...Milo is really...REALL Y wants us to at least go see him.  He gets the feeling that the group is creating a bit more "hype" about the dog...I'm not sure, but I'm going to check him out today... We'll see...

Here's a visual...he really is gorgeous...

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:00:44 pm »
He is a gorgeous boy but I would definitely be concerned about your small animals. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Gentian

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »
I grew up with a wonderful wolf-dog. She was a high mix. Her official owner, a relative of mine, let her have pups with a neighborhood husky, and all four stayed in the family.  They were all various levels of squirrelly and animal aggressive, with the exception of one who climbed a six-foot fence multiple times and eventually was hit by a train on one of her outings.

I second being wary of small animal interactions, but also make sure they are legal in your state. In mine, MI, they are closely regulated now.

Amanda
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:18:09 pm by Gentian »

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 02:40:39 pm »
My father in law had a high content wolf mix. Mainly Timber wolf with a little Mal and Shepherd mixed in. He was an amazing dog. Very tolerant.. He was raised around small animals, cats and chickens. Yet would kill wild game and drag them home to eat. I didn't believe it until I saw him drag home a small deer.

Since you don't know this guys history I'd definitely be wary. I'd see if the rescue can give you more info on him. He really is gorgeous though.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:59:18 pm »
He is definitely smooch-able!

Just be careful - make a judgment with your head, not your heart.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:50:03 pm »
 :)  He is gorgeous!  As everyone else said, be very sure if you take him in.  My first dog was a Husky/Wolf/GSD who I got from a friend at 6 weeks old.  The first 2 years of his life were very interesting to say the least.  His actions were more wolflike than doglike, and I had to be on my toes constantly.  He did learn not to hurt my cats or birds, but, any small animals who were not mine, were in trouble.  He could also jump ANY fence though learned not to go over a fence that I didn't "show him how to".  If I went over the fence, he would too.

As he aged, he became more and more protective of his pack, and I never had to worry about walking alone at night. Had a brother in law who came home drunk one night and decided to jump the fence since he couldn't find his key, and Jasper went after him (dumb person).  We laugh now, but, what the heck was he thinking?  He knew the dog protected the house.  After I had my boys, he became even more protective.  Noone could approach them while we were on a walk, or Jasper would growl and go on the alert.

He lasted just under 13 years, and I will always miss him.
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 05:12:55 pm »
The whole wolf hybrid thing is a soap box of mine!!!  But, putting that aside; if he was a pup, maybe (yes he's young, but....) I would be very wary of the other small critters that are in your care.

He's beautiful.  Navarre was a black and silver when he was a pup, the silver turned into kind of a cream color so he wasn't exactly a black and tan either!!

Good luck, tough decision though.  But like someone else said, don't feel like you're letting him down if you decide to say no.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

jesday

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 07:47:02 pm »
I've posted our experience with our wolf hybred before and I am sorry to say it was not successful. My husband got him when he was a six week old pup. He was a very nice dog, accepted me and my kids as part of his family. But - we couldn't keep him on our property short of keeping him tied up, which we didn't do. Tried every kind of fence etc. He did break into the chicken house and killed all but one of the 75 chickens we had. Didn't eat them, just killed them (The one survivor chicken we named Rambo and he never ended up as our dinner.)The older he got the more wolf like he became. Very - very protective of his pack (us) but it got so we didn't dare have any kid's friends over for fear he'd attack them. He started chasing anything that moved ie: kids on bikes etc. And would hunker in bales of straw he'd made into a den.

The sad story is he started packing up all the other dogs in the neighborhood. We lived in the country and most dogs were free to roam. I am afraid to say I believed that was okay at the time too, but I have amended my foolishness. Anyway he took his pack to the neighbor's and he killed their Akita! All the dogs were in on it, but Paco was the one shaking it like a rag doll. It was a beautiful large male Akita. Of course the neighbors were extremely upset and we offered to pay for their dog. Small consolation. They wanted him put down. We tried to talk to them about other solutions, even trying to find him a new home. But they wanted him killed and got the Sheriff's department involved. At least they gave us a time limit and let me take Paco to my vet. They did not take him away and lock him up. But so, so sad. :'( :'( I never had to put down a healthy dog before. My vet told me this is such a familiar story with wolf hybreds. Usually the older they get the more wolf-like they revert to. They are what they are. Wonderful animals not wonderful pets.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 11:58:15 pm »
As someone said I would be sure to check your local laws. some states and cities have some pretty strict rules on keeping hybrids.

AudgePadge

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 03:47:32 pm »
Well Everyone...
We had a chance to meet Ramses today...WOW... he is more gorgeous in person!  He was an ownser surrender (forclosed home case) and he came in with his 2 sisters.  His older sister...aroun d 10 years old, was already adopted.

I walked down the line...and there he was, crouched and shivering in the corner of the kennel, all alone.  I was a little skeptical, since...I had no idea where he came from, temperment, no medical history, etc.  Then I saw his sister Chloe, a few kennels away...same thing...timid, corner, shivering.

A note on their charts said that the previous owner can be contacted and would love to talk to anyone who was interested in the dogs.

Milo gave him a call...after about...30 minutes, he gets off the phone with a smile.  "We're taking them both outside...toge ther"  OMG...I can't tell you how apprehensive I was...

The AC officers were uncomfortable going into the kennel, so I went in for Chloe, and Milo for Ramses...In hindsight, probably not a good idea-but from what I heard, they were very sweet dogs, just out of their element, scared and without each other...I just took a leap of faith...When Chloe got on the leash, her head and tail went up and she had a new confidence...

As soon as we got them in the play yard, and they saw each other...it was a TOTAL flip...barking, tails wagging, they even came up to us for a pat-but were just happy to run and play with each other...

From what the previous owner said, they were raised together, with other dogs, children, and small animals...Well ...he's getting neutered, and we're picking him up on Saturday.  The previous owner even volunteered to come to my house and help us introduce him to our family.

Of course, I'm still a little skeptical, but I am hopeful we can make this work.  Chloe, looks VERY GSD, and she has someone interested in her, if it doesn't work out...I guess she'd be coming home with us too.

I'll keep you posted...Elvis is going to have to stay separated from everyone, for now... We'll see how it goes... 

I appreciate everyone's input,and I've really considered everything you've said.
-Norco doesn't have any laws about owning a hybrid-as long as it's fixed and not running around the neighborhood. :)
-I have a really good feeling about him, he just LOOKS very wolf-like...but from what I've heard, and seen...he acts very dog-like. Very submissive and kind...he just needs to learn to trust us.
-I have a VERY secure area to keep my critters (they sleep there at night) safe from coyots, bobcats, wolf-dogs...they will be safe there until everything is ironed out.

We will see! I'm excited and scared...I'll let you know, and I'll take some pics...

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 04:07:54 pm »
GOOD LUCK!!!! My husband and i have always wanted a wolf-hybrid before.  They are illegal in Salt Lake but we pulled the trigger anyway and adopted one.  We named him Valis after the book by Phillip K Dick.  He was 2 months old and had hip dysplasia  :'(  We have hard wood floors and a Great Pyr.  Not a good combo.  We re adopted him to a nice young man who had the money and the means to give him a better life!  All in all my hopes are with you for the dog i never got to love and nurture.  Love him, hybrids can be the most trusted companions in a loving home!  ;D :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 07:03:47 pm »
Did the owner give you any idea as to his lineage? Is he half wolf, one-quarter?

Good luck. I hope everything turns out for all of you.

AudgePadge

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 01:59:36 pm »
So...We had a HUGE ordeal over the weekend... :'( :'( :'( :'(

We brought Ramses home, introduced everyone about a block from the house...Roscoe was very agitated, and Monty could care less...

Hubs took everyone on a nice tiring run/jog...when they came home, everyone looks great!  When Ramses went for some water...he got an idea... RUN!!!!!!!!  :o

He took off-ran right out of collar and leash! Milo chased after him, but he went up the mountains towards the riverbed...whi ch is pretty much wilderness  :-\

Looked for him for a few hours, and finally called the animal shelter... ;D ;D ;D ;D HE WAS PICKED UP!! thank GOODNESS...som eone brought him in.

Bad News...the girl at the reception office WOULDN'T GIVE HIM BACK!  >:(  She kept saying that we need a permit! Now, I called Norco City, AND Riverside County...every one I spoke to there assured me that as long as it was a hybrid then there was no permit needed.... We argued with her, brought in some extra firepower (Milo's friend knows the General Manager at the shelter) and to NO avail...She wouldn't release him... she said "My boss is out of town, I have to get her approval, come back Monday"

I haven't had the dog for 2 hours, and she refused to give him back, we couldn't even go see him! I feel sooo bad... I'm such a bad caregiver!

So...Yesterday, I went and picked him up...but not without a fight...They wanted to charge us a BOARDING FEE...are you KIDDING???  They practically held the dog hostage!  Anyway, they took the fee off, and all was well...

Poor babes...smelle d like VOMIT, and was covered in ticks...  So, I took him home, gave him a nice bath...

and I just have to say...I have a NEW FOUND respect for ALL PYR and NEWF and Other Long, Fluffy Haired DOG Owners...  How the H*LL do you sit there for HOURS brushing all that crap out?

Thank goodness for the furminator...B ut I thought I had it hard...brushin g Monty...and now I see...he's practically NAKED compared to Ramses...

Yea...after 2 1/2 hours of brushing, it was dark outside, adn...He's still fluffy, and shedding... ::) :P

But I wouldn't have it any other way....

Before...

After...(I know you can't tell...but at least he doesn't smell like a foot anymore)

Will keep you updated on his progess...stil l a little skittish, and unsure...but slept like a ROCK until about 4am!  :P