Author Topic: New Pyr mom with questions about leash training  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
New Pyr mom with questions about leash training
« on: August 13, 2008, 07:01:57 pm »
We just brought our new 4 month old baby girl, Ursa, home over the weekend.  We've had lots of big dogs in the past but this is our first Pyr. 

Ursa is doing well in the house so far - just one small accident, doesn't chase the cats, and the barking so far is less than we expected.  We crate her during the workday but have a neighbor who comes by at lunchtime to let her out and play with her a bit.  Basically, she's doing better than I hoped in most areas.

The problem is with the leash.  I'd like to take her for walks to burn off some puppy steam (and maybe burn a few calories of my own) but she almost refuses to walk on the leash.  She doesn't buck or try to get away - she just lies down and refuses to move - wagging her tail the whole time!  I've tried treats but so far she's not terribly food motivated. 

I know it's early days still but I'd like to get started on leash training soon in preparation for enrolling her in puppy class.  Any advice would be much appreciated.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: New Pyr mom with questions about leash training
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:15:29 pm »
Leashes can be very frightening to a puppy!!!  Do you have a fenced yard?  If so you can hook up her lead and collar and let her loose in the yard and let her walk around dragging the lead until she gets used to that "long skinny monster' following her.  Me I strongly believe in bribery for at least the first couple of times on lead.  I usually start the puppies by putting on their lead and holding it but just let them wander wherever they want- I never tug or pull but I just follow them loosely holding the lead.  If I want them to go somewhere that is when the bribery comes into play- I entice them to follow me or turn or stop etc with a little piece of hot dog.  Usually within 1/2 hour I have a puppy walking on lead.  Then I start taking them for short walks with another dog that they can follow and gain confidence and progress from there. 

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:18:01 pm »
Good idea, Patrick.  We do have a fenced yard and we've tried leashing her there but she just lies down and tries her best to look cute and helpless.  The hot dog didn't work - but we tried joining our neighbor tonight when she walked her two dogs.  Ursa was happy to follow her new neighbors up and down the block.  The bad part is that we had to carry her out to the sidewalk.  She isn't crazy about leaving the comfort of the grass yet.  Of course, I might not be either if I'd had a major life change just a couple of days ago. 
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:23:33 am »
Not a bad thing  I carry my puppies out the gate the first few times as well.  As far as the yard- if she is out there long enough she will eventually get up and walk- you can do the same thing in the house.  But walking with your neighbor went well so you are making progress!!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 06:56:37 am »
When I trained Tipper to walk on a leash I used peanut butter on a long wooden spoon, it worked great for us and was easier for me to hold where I wanted him to be. Good luck!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven