Author Topic: This week's poop question.  (Read 8646 times)

jesday

This week's poop question.
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:03:03 pm »
Okay, I goofed again. I've been messing with the bubs food practically since we got them and now that we know Sophie does not have food allergies I'm trying to get them on a dog food I can stay with.

I bought a bag of Blue Buffalo large breed and forgot to introduce it gradually. All old stuff is gone. Yep, wonderful smelly brown liquid in garage this morning times two. :-X I have no choice but to continue with the new food so question is, does anyone know approx how long it may take for their systems to adjust to new food?

Also, they don't even really care for this stuff too much. It has little dried blue berries in it I'm guessing for antioxidents (sp). Neither of them eat the blue berries so I'd like to try yet another type. Somebody, just tell me what brand you feed your Newfs. My head hurts reading all the labels. :P

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: This week's poop question.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:23:34 pm »
Oh brother, I wondered when they'd start to put things like goji berries or green tea or whatever in dog food.  Got my answer!  I'd go back to the old stuff and just introduce the new stuff in a week or two very very very very very very gradually.  Did I say 'very' enough?!

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:11:47 pm »
This wild bunch ate Blue Buffalo (white fish and sweet potatoes)their entire lives. All 4 did very well on it...but then I heard about a recall. My Lab breeder suggested Canidae--chicken, turkey, lamb and fish. All 4 LOVE it. You definitely have to S_L_O_W_L_Y introduce new foods. The big girls get Flint River Ranch Dry Water for Sunday dinner, the babies don't as of yet. I hope nothing bad is written about these two brands...if so, then I'm with you--PLEASE someone just tell me what to feed my girls ;D ;D ??? ;D ;D

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:55:17 am »
I used to feed the boys Canidae, but they reacted really badly to Canidae's new formula.  We switched to California Natural Chicken and Rice.  The verdict is still out- they have some good days, some not so good days.  But, we also were not able to do a very gradual transition, so we're still waiting....

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:12:31 am »
Hi,

Winslow is on Canidae ALS (all life Stages), He kind of went through a color change and softening stage, with the new formula, we are still in the first bag.

I think the New formula is like what you are experiencing, in a cold turkey switch, Since most people feeding Canidae, finished the old formula and only could get the "New Formula" the puppers were cold turkey switched, thus the poop problems mentioned in several threads here.

Winslow weathered the "switch storm" and seems to be SOLID again 3/4 of the way through the NEw Formuls "cold Turkey" switch.

For now I'll stay with Canidae, I am not happy that they not only switched formula but made the large Bag 5 lbs smaller and still raised the price!! but so far Winslow seems ok with the product!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:13:24 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:33:37 am »
My pups are on Wellness Core and they both love it and do very well on it. I have tried numerous kinds in my search for dog food and I really like both Wellness and Innova the best. Obviously, a gradual switch is best, but usually within three days the super soft stools seem to stop when I've made the mistake of not gradual enough.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:36:27 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

jesday

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:24:10 am »
Thanks for the input. Since I've only given them one meal from the Blue Buffalo I think I'll go ahead and switch to Canidae. Seems like many BPO's are happy with that. Since my kids haven't been on original formula, hopefully transition will go smoothly. Or should I say firmly. :D I hope they like it. I want to cross food off my list of dog issues.  ;)

For now it's rice and a little boiled hamburger.

Thanks

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 12:27:53 pm »
Hi,

Holly is the food Guru here ;-)

I agree on the ethics thing with Canidae, and will probably be moving to something different but for the short time (next few months) It is just more convenient for me, to stay on Canidae, and as long as Winslow looks and seems healthy I am not overly concerned but i do pay attention and will transition sooner if I/ he needs too.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:18:45 pm »
We feed all 5 of our dogs Wellness, super4 chicken.  They are doing great on it.  My newf has food issues and allergic to egg so this is great for her, no egg. 
It is in Canada and the US.
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_dry_super5mix_complete_health_chicken.html?page=dog_wellness_dry_super5mix_chicken
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com