Author Topic: Can you stand yet another question?  (Read 13851 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: Can you stand yet another question?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 08:49:10 am »
Armed with all of your suggestions and some advice from the trainer from puppy class, we're going to bite the bullet and start doing some serious crate training this weekend.  I'd be lying if I said we're looking forward to the barking that's bound to ensue!!

I can't wait until she's big enough to graduate to having her own room!  So much easier and roomier than the crate.  We've got a lot of growing up and training to get through before then though.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 08:59:27 am »
You know when I got Rosie and Sugar Bear I hated the idea of a crate. Now I love love love my crates. Most of the time the doors are open and they go in them to take a nap or just to rest a bit.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
  • Heather *packed* going to Pow Wow
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »
What i found worked with Heather who is also not food motivated (unless its pepperoni) was to use a really happy voice (not too high pitched) and give lots of praise.. also putting in the task well done. such as *good job Heather, Good  sit*  and so on. Pyrs i have found do like to please, and the more verbal praise you give the more they enjoy it.. not to say they will do it every time you ask though.. grin ..

Heather was donated to me when she was 3.5 yrs of age. She was in Missouri, and i had just gone back to my home state to visit my mom. My service dog died the very next day, and i was in shock, however because i need medical alerts from a dog it was an immediate search for my next one. I have been training my own service dogs and helping others train theirs for golly, 30 some years now. so i was on the immediate search for my next MASD.  I went to evaluate Heather, and in  trying her out.. when i reached down to pet her for a job well done.. she winched.. she had never been touched for doing some thing GOOD.. apparently their trainer had told them not to touch her unless she was being corrected.. POOR DOG.. she soon learned that my hands on her meant she was loved. and not a correction.

so lots of praise verbal and petting.. and watch her reactions to these to see which one she likes the most.. some times i go a bit overboard, and then i get a look from Heather of embarrassment. . so i try to remember to tone it down the next time.. other times.. i get lots of waggy tail and a happy look from her.. which in turn is MY praise for a job well done..

Josephine Morningstar & Heather, Grt Pyr MASD
Native American in New England.
Josephine Morningstar & Heather, Grt Pyr MASD
Native American in New England.
Never threaten anyone. It ruins the surprise.