Author Topic: Dog Food  (Read 18918 times)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
Dog Food
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:19:34 am »
Hi All,
  Yeah, it's been a long time since I been on here.  I have neglected Dyson with poor quality food for too long now ???.  I read some other post, and it seems the majority of you all use Innova EVO, is that true.  My local Petsmart & Petco don't carry it, do any of you all recommend a good brand from them or should I find a place that sales Innova?
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

jesday

Re: Dog Food
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:35:31 am »
Sorry, too distracted by your avatar. Oh my gosh, that is one cute pup!

I live out in the west, so not familiar with local stores in your area but many times if go to their home page you can look up local distributors. Here is a link that might help you.

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/innova.asp

Cute Puppy!!!!!

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:59:09 am »
Sorry, too distracted by your avatar. Oh my gosh, that is one cute pup!

I live out in the west, so not familiar with local stores in your area but many times if go to their home page you can look up local distributors. Here is a link that might help you.

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/innova.asp

Cute Puppy!!!!!

Yeah, He is no longer a PUPPY.  He is 3 years old now.  I just never changed the picture.  Thanks for the link.  If anyone else has good suggestions I'd be more that grateful to listen.
St. Louis, MO

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:07:48 am »
I have one more question about Innova.  Which would be better: Large Breed Adult or the EVO one?  How much would you feed a adult Pyr per day with this higher quality of food?
St. Louis, MO

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:19:46 pm »
I buy my dog food on line and if you spend $50 it is free shipping and believe me usually 1 bag does it. I have found places on line that are cheaper but by the time you add shipping it is way more expensive. the site is: http://www.k9cuisine.com
They carry all the good brands of dog food.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:54:46 pm »
The Pet Supplies Plus stores near me carry Innova as well as my local feed store, so you could check those, too, if you have some near you.  I feed my Pyr approx. 3 cups/day of Wellness Core, which is a grain free food (like EVO). I am really liking Wellness Core for my pups--they look great and they like eating it.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:13:06 am »
Thank you all for your replys.  I will keep Innova in mind. My awesome neighbor brought me over a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo Large Breed food yesterday as a gift, so I figure I will try it for the time being.  I have read some about Blue here, and rechecked the recall info.  Looks like the Wet Food and Snacks were recalled earlier spring 2007 due to the manufacture adding ingredients without BBs knowledge.  I hope it works out, if not I will look for Innova.  Thank you all and if you all have any other concerns about Blue please let me know.
St. Louis, MO

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 07:38:19 pm »
I just switched my pyr from Canidae to Evo. He seems to be eating more of it than he did with Canidae...whic h I thought would sort of be the opposite? Anyone else experience this? Bag says about 3-3.5 cups... I top him off at 4..but he is still searching for food and he isn't the type to over eat ??? ??? ??? Not at all what I expected based on others experience with EVO
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:18:51 pm »
Carolyn, Rainbow is also on EVO and doing great! She's on the upper end size wise for a female Pyr and she eats a good 4 1/2+ cups plus my special home made toppings. (split into two meals) She's 5 1/2. Whisper - just now 2 - is on the Innova Large Breed plus the home made toppings. He's "growing" again and I've increased his amount. I've attempted to offer him EVO slowly now that he's 2, but he (silly boy!) does not seem too fond & picks around it so - he's back on the Innova+.

I'm going to be introducing the Fromm 4 Star soon as my Groomer gets her order in. We'll see how it goes with the samples.

With Rainbow, she tends to stay a nice, healthy, lean but muscular weight with the EVO. But as we all know, Pyrs mature slowly. Whisper's still just a Babe. He's just now starting to really fill out & it will take another 1 1/2 yrs. I've always said you don't know what you have in a Pyr till they are at least 3 1/2 years old. Body OR temperment.  ;) Just as with humans ~ everyone is different. I'm a firm believer that daily grooming is not just good for the soul of dog and person - but that hands on touch and feel lets you know just what kind of condition your Babe is in.  :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 08:24:55 pm »
I just switched my pyr from Canidae to Evo. He seems to be eating more of it than he did with Canidae...whic h I thought would sort of be the opposite? Anyone else experience this? Bag says about 3-3.5 cups... I top him off at 4..but he is still searching for food and he isn't the type to over eat ??? ??? ??? Not at all what I expected based on others experience with EVO
Didn't you mention that your Pyr was pretty picky before and not eating enough? Correct me if I am wrong :-\
If he is searching for food you should give it to him because he probably needs it  :-\
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:28:33 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 08:32:11 pm »
Yes you are exaclty right. He is a picky eater so I don't mind giving him extra food. Just I was reading a lot about Evo and it is high in protein so perhaps I should include some other "toppings" to give him more food but not over due it on the high protein. With the Evo I read frequently that the portion would decrease compared to other foods so I was just curious what others experienced. I pretty much feed Marley all I can however with the grain free I know I have to watch that I don't over due it on the protein levels....and as I said he is picky so I don't usually have a lot of options outside of the kibble he eats.
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 08:36:02 pm »
Yes you are exaclty right. He is a picky eater so I don't mind giving him extra food. Just I was reading a lot about Evo and it is high in protein so perhaps I should include some other "toppings" to give him more food but not over due it on the high protein. With the Evo I read frequently that the portion would decrease compared to other foods so I was just curious what others experienced. I pretty much feed Marley all I can however with the grain free I know I have to watch that I don't over due it on the protein levels....and as I said he is picky so I don't usually have a lot of options outside of the kibble he eats.
As long as he is on a lean side he can eat as much as he wants ;) I have been feeding Lily grain free since she turned one and he is nice and lean and just got OFA Good for hips. Pyrs are VERY good in controlling the amounts they eat :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 03:43:38 am »
We feed raw now. But for a good deal I suggest www.petfooddir ect.com They have low prices, and up to 22% off coupons all the time. Plus free shipping on orders over $50. I get all my extras for the pups from them. To many good deals.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 05:13:03 pm »
We feed raw now. But for a good deal I suggest www.petfooddir ect.com They have low prices, and up to 22% off coupons all the time. Plus free shipping on orders over $50. I get all my extras for the pups from them. To many good deals.

Thanks for the link.  The prices on there are cheaper not only for dog food, but for my bird and rodent products as well.  I will def. be buying from that site, I will have no problems going over $50.................lol.

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 06:02:40 pm »
Anyone know of a site like this that services Canada?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada