Author Topic: Anybody have trouble in dog parks?  (Read 8669 times)

Offline AmyM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Anybody have trouble in dog parks?
« on: August 22, 2008, 06:24:09 am »
Has anyone had trouble with dog park dogs?

The other week Cody and I ended up at the local dog park.  There was only one other dog and owner at the park at that time.  In other words...no witnesses.  He was a malamute/shepard mix.  This dog went nuts and kept going after his ears. Blood dripping...the whole thing.  This lady had no control over her dog so I ended up pouncing on this beast(trust me, it wasn't pretty) and pinning him to the ground. I had to do something...Co dy just sat there looking at me....I had to protect him.  By the way, I am 48 years old and weigh about 115 pounds.  My face was covered in dust and tear streaks and the darn dog did bite me though he didn't break the skin.  Why do these people bring these dogs to the park if they can't control them? >:(

Any other stories out there?

lookingfornewf

Re: Anybody have trouble in dog parks?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:35:08 am »
I don't go to dog parks for that reason, I have heard too many bad stories.
I did however have a similar problem last weekend. I took Clifford to a festival/ outdoor Arts and Crafts show. He was very well behaved. 2 different times small dogs (less than 20 pounds) started growling and barking at him very agressively. The owners of both said their dog didn't get along with other dogs. If your dog doesn't like other dogs why take them to places with hundreds of people and other dogs? or to dog parks? >:(

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:42:13 am »
I go to dog parks all the time.  :) It all depends on how well maintained and controled the park is. Our current one is GREAT. If ANY dog misbehaives and shows any kind of agression the authorities ban him/her from the park and change the code. Very nice!
In two years we only had 3 accidents which were pretty minor :P I think parks are great place for socialization and exsersise :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:24:12 am »
I have only been to a dog park once --to meet fellow BPOers. Rosie was still young but she had a blast. There was one dog (not BPO) that was being overbearing but not to the extreme. Of course Rosie had to pick that dog to hang out with ::)

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:29:10 am »
I don't go to dog parks because Maple doesn't deal well with other dogs she doesn't know, especially ones that won't leave her alone.  Woody couldn't care less, and would only run the fence line chasing birds flying by.

I agree that if you can not control your dog, you should not have it at a dog park, especially if it is agressive at all.

I do walk my dogs daily through several parks in my town, and am amazed at all the idiots who let their dogs off leash and as the dog is running over to me just say, "It's OK, he's friendly".  Um, my dog is not (well, she is, but, she feels the need to protect me and Woody from all dogs), and, when she's on a leash we shouldn't have to deal with loose dogs (there is a leash law here & we have multiple dog parks nearby).  I pay attention to what's going on around me and either change direction to avoid other dogs or use the leave it command when another dog approaches and it works well.

I have animal control on my speed dial now because there is one dog in particular that charges us barking and growling and the man just doesn't get it that this is unacceptable (Ugh, and I never know which park he'll be at in order to avoid it).

I do my best to be a responsible dog owner, and to protect my dog too.

I think dog parks are great for those of you who have well socialized dogs and wish I had done a better job with Maple.

Sorry, kinda got bloggy.
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 05:09:18 pm »
I will occassionally take Max to the local dog park. He loves to play and will simply ignore any aggressive behaviour from other dogs.  He is by far the largest dog there, so he can just walk over them.  Jake will attack if growled at, so he cannot be off leash.  Cody will defend any other dog, that he feels is being picked on and will attack another dog humping him, so he can't be off leash.  I think ChiChi would be fine with all the dogs, but would probably try to eat the people, so she can't go at all.  Our biggest problem is people taking the really small dogs into the large dog area.  Max has stepped on a few chis, just because he can't see them under him.  Then I get the owners yelling and screaming at him and me.  It's not like he does it on purpose, he just doesn't know they are there, when they come up from behind him.  I would love to find another park, where I could take the dogs, even the ones that have to stay on a leash, but have had no luck so far.
Kathy 
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 05:36:28 pm »
I'm so sorry that you have had this experience.  I don't go to dog parks because Kaila doesn't play well with others and she will guard Shiner and I.  Shiner has developed into a shy reactive boy where he charges barking at strangers.  He doesn't bite but no one likes an 80# beer keg coming at you with loud deep barks.  So I find creative places that are usually dog and people free before I take them anyplace and especially anyplace off leash.  I keep hoping that one day I will have a pup where the socialization takes for them and they aren't quite so special.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline AmyM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:54:09 am »
After everybody's story, there is one other story I'd like to tell.....There was a guy that comes to the dog park on a regular basis.  Never talked to anybody.  He had a dog about 40 pounds....What did he have in his back pocket...one leather glove.....not two.  When his dog would cause a dog fight.....out came the glove, put it on his hand, insert into dog fight, pull his dog out.....this happen every time he took his dog to the park,  Every time!  I don't think this guy was all there after talking to him one day. I can't resist an outsider.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:01:01 am »
They have a dog park area on base. I avoid it. My reason is that none of these people really socialize their dogs apart from that area.
I belong to the dog club. I have lived here for 6 years. I know the German's and their dogs better than I do the American's. Why? Cause the American's here just don't get their dogs out much.
I do take my dogs for walks on base and off. I take them to restaurants and to wild animal parks. Anywhere and everywhere my dogs can go I take them. So it is ok that they don't go to a specific dog park. They get their socialization and play elsewhere.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08