Author Topic: Can anyone explain this behaviour?  (Read 5465 times)

Lyn

Can anyone explain this behaviour?
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:37:08 am »
I'm having a slight issue with Bubba and I'm not sure what to make of it.

When he sees another dog he does get pretty excited and wants to say hi. Stomping his feet, whining and occasionally he'll try to drag me over to the other dog. He doesn't meet other dogs very often so I know he's just like OMG it's another DOG! After the initial greeting he settles down. 

Now this is the behaviour I can't explain. If the other dog decides that he doesn't like Bubba and growls or barks or snaps at him. Instead of him backing off he's gets all excited and goes into a play bow and starts bouncing. Which is turn generally ticks the other dog off even more. It's like he thinks the other dog is playing.. WTF is he thinking?!  ???

He was bitten as a pup when the neighbours dog ran out and grabbed his ear. So I thought maybe he was getting anxious and anticipating a bite. But to play bow and get excited and when another dog is trying to chew his face off?

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:38:29 am by Lyn »

Lyn

Re: Can anyone explain this behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:01:38 am »
LOL, Ok that makes more sense that what I was thinking. :P

I was just getting annoyed with the odd looks. :D Like my dog is crazy (and I admit he did look he was on crack bouncing around like a fool) while her's is fighting at the end of it's leash trying to attack him.

To be honest most dogs don't like Bubba. I thought it was because he wasn't neutered at the time but even now that he is.. still the same reaction the majority of the time. Poor guy never makes any friends. Although he's never met another dog his size.. only smaller. Maybe they are intimidated?

Yet Lola who isn't really keen on having doggy friends gets approached all the time wanting to be friends. It's came in handy desensitizing her so she just avoids them now.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:06:54 am by Lyn »

AudgePadge

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:22:42 am »
hahahha...awww I wanna be friends with BUBBA!  ;D  Roscoe is doing the same thing...he barks, squeals, whines...he looks like he's teasing the other dogs...but he just wants them to play with him... Doesn't work out that way...

Monty...he never makes any doggy-friends...No body likes him...Usually at the dog beach, he'll find the cutest baby and just sit there...helpin g him/her dig in the sand...

Monty is also a "breedist" Since I rescued him, he's always had a thing for boxers...every time he sees one, he goes NUTS, wants to attack them...even puppies... But then...when it's other puppies, or dogs...he doesn't even blink...it's the weirdest thing...Sad... because I always thought they were beautiful dogs...

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:23:53 pm »
Clifford does that on a daily basis at home and out. Annie does not want to play with him, growls and snaps at him and he thinks it is one big game and lots of fun.
It's kind of nice that they think everything is fun and good.
Only once did he get to play with a dog bigger than himself and actually got a little growly and defensive himself.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:33:39 pm »
And I thought TITAN was the only one that did that!
My husband's mother has a shit-zu. She was bruttly attacked as a pup and there for is so scared of any dog. We have tried time and time again to get them togther to play or a least for her to tolerate Titan and its getting better.... but last night Titan does what he does everytime they are together; bouncing, little quite barking, springing around in circles acting like a crazy man! She just stands there trying to chew his face off. I thought the same thing mabye he's trying to pick a fight but it makes sense he just saying "he look lady I am a big dumb idot that does'nt want to hurt you... i just want to chase your cute but around the yard!!"  :D

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 03:01:15 pm »
I wish my dogs would do that with strange dogs.  They do it with each other, but not strange dogs.  If a dog barks, growls or snaps at Jake, I have to lift his front end off the ground to keep him from eating it.  Cody just raises his head and looks at them, unless they are bigger than him, then he raises his fur and looks at them.  Max just totally ignores it.  ChiChi is my playful one, but I don't trust her in public with any other living thing yet, so I'm not sure about her.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 03:37:17 pm »
Well it's good to know that Bubba is half normal. :D

I just thought it was odd that he did that. Most dogs that I've seen in that kind of situation will avoid the nasty dog or fight back. I'm glad he didn't fight back but I didn't expect Bubba to turn into Tigger. :P