Author Topic: Brand new Newfie Pup  (Read 6573 times)

Offline dviney

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Brand new Newfie Pup
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:12:57 pm »
Hi All.  I'm so excited to have found you all.  I've been a Newfie owner for 25 years.  We have a 5 year old female named Olive, and we just got a male babe on Friday.  We are having a heck of a time naming him.  He's so darn cute I have been gritting my teeth.  Any ideas would be so appreciated.  I've gone back and read posts on naming.  We have 2 very opinionated teenagers.  So far they like Murphy, but aren't thrilled with it.  Great to meet you all, Doreen

lookingfornewf

Re: Brand new Newfie Pup
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:49:50 pm »
Oh my gosh. That picture's not of a real dog, must be a stuffed animal. too cute.
My newfie is just turning a year old this week, so I think "Trouble" would be a good name. ::) I love him to death, but oh the things they get into when you have that big of a puppy.
Good Luck and please post lots and lots and lots of pictures. They grow so fast.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:51:18 am »
Hi and Welcome!
After 25 years you would think it would have gotten easier. lol
I am not a fan of murphy either.
Have you followed any sort of theme for names? Do you lean towards one kind of a name over another?
There are a lot of great names here. Many I would never have thought of.

I like Nero, means black in Italian. I like Blackberry too and  also Kenji. Those names come to mind anyways. :) Good luck and don't forget to show him off some more!
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:29:05 am »
A-D-O-R-B-L-E!!!!!!!

If you've already got an Olive, how about Popeye?  Or Sailor? Or Ham Gravy?  Kinda silly, but the Popeye theme just struck me when I heard Olive.  He's going to be so handone, whatever you name him!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 09:42:47 am »
Congrats!!!  I like the names, Odin, Dugan, Nero, Ripper.....Rip per was our rotti that lived for 12 years.  Good luck!!!
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

jesday

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:16:10 pm »
Well, if you've already got an Olive, how about Oil -  :D

Welcome aboard.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 02:23:38 pm »
Hi,

Well no Olive is complete without a Martini, (or is that the other way around) or Pimento!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 07:10:46 pm »
Too cute!! Any name yet?!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 07:15:14 pm »
I thought of Pimento when I read your announcement about the new puppy but I see Winslow's Dad beat me to that one.  You could name him after a type of vodka or vermouth that you would use in a martini to go with Olive.  Good luck on the name search.

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 08:22:14 pm »
I love that name.  :)  And what a pretty blue eye.  :)
I just love puppies.

Offline My Kahlua-Bear! :-]

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 07:01:03 am »
OH HE'S SOOOO CUTE!  :D

I like the name murphy. If you're not sure though, try looking up mythical.histo rical names. They're always unique and fun, espescially for our BP's
Good luck with the puppy!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:15:33 am »
I like to look up ethnic names that I feel suit the puppies personality. :)  Like Naja is Arabic for Having trust.  And Moo...Well, I didn't name him, but it's cute as heck.  =)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:47 am »
He is so adorable! What fun you are going to have with him!

Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline dviney

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 09:20:10 am »
Thank you all so much for the great suggestions, and warm welcome!  My daughter came home last night and said I've got it....Romeo!  And she woulndn't take no for an answer.  So he has his bevy of Juliets calling after him "Romeo, Romeo,where for art thou Romeo"  I'm sure we will all be quite abnoxious about it for a while.  Olive was adopted, so she came with the name Anchovy Olive.  She came from a trainer, and is such a good girl.  We live on 35 acres on the Grand River and a pool, so that was the reason for falling in love with Newfies, they love it here.  They may not always be the best groomed (Olive swims in the river about 20 times a day) but they sure are happy.  Like all of you I'm sure you go in a giant circle cleaning the floor the windows, and back round again.  They are just so worth it. 
Thanks again everyone, and I am going to take more pictures in the next couple days. Doreen

Offline dviney

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 06:32:34 pm »
Olive actually let the puppy yank on her tail tonight, and my mini dachshund didn't threaten her with a hound dog whooping when Romeo barked directly into her ear. 
Progress is good.