Author Topic: Go away, Gustav!  (Read 5716 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Go away, Gustav!
« on: August 27, 2008, 02:22:41 pm »
Here comes another hurricane and, as it looks right now, any of us along the gulf coast could be affected. I'm watching the New Orleans city hall freaking out right now and making plans for our evacuation.

And, of course, it's scheduled to hit right around the time we were going to be moving. What rotten timing.

If you're along the gulf coast: Holly, Melissa & Brandon, Kathryn... check in if it gets close. This group saved my life when Katrina came through!

Keep your fingers crossed, y'all.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

AudgePadge

Re: Go away, Gustav!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:28:12 pm »
 >:( >:( >:( Darn hurricanes!  Wishing you all well!

Offline My Kahlua-Bear! :-]

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:51:12 pm »
Oh goodness! I live on the upper east coast so the most i get is bad storms and tornado watches. I'm terrified of hurricanes. I wish the best of luck and safety to all of you in the hurricane regions. Stay safe and keep your pets close!  :)

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 05:18:46 pm »
GOsh I sure do feel for anyone who has to deal with that weather. By the time it gets here it is just high winds and rain. Wishing everyone safe in that area.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:31:11 pm »
Katrina blew away the restaurant where I work, it was a two story and the whole bottom floor was gone!!  Luckily our new building is up, hopefully high enough!!  But if we get much flooding the road to work will be closed!!  Oh, well everyone stock up a little on gas if you can it's already starting to go up today!  Everybody keep in touch this week, I'll try to do the same!  H
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:46:11 pm »
Just doing the weather update check right now.  Definitely everyone be careful.  The last I saw they were calling for him to be a Cat 3 when he makes landfall if not a Cat 4.  I will try and check in this weekend. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:37:09 am »
The track has changed slightly and now it's heading straight for Terrebonne Parish. Guess where I live?? Crap.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:36:12 am »
My thoughts and prayers are with ALL of you. Hopefully it will just BLOW right by you!! Sending some safety vibes your way!
Take care everyone!
Adrienne & Titan
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:37:00 am by Apreston »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 04:12:49 pm »
Here's the National Hurricane Center's best guess and I've marked on there where I am.

marypyrs

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 04:29:13 pm »
Please! All of you down there, Stay Safe! :-*

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 06:23:35 am »
Newest estimate brings Gustav just west of us now, which is easing my mind just a little bit. However, the east side of the storm is typically the strongest so if it could keep easing more westward, I would be a happy camper.

Most of my employees are evacuating tomorrow, so I'm closing Starbucks until (probably) Wednesday. The town is going to riot!!  ;)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 11:22:41 am »
Maybe that high pressure system will move further down into the gulf and keep pushing it west.  Either way, it sucks; cause if it's not us it's someone else. Do we have anyone on the eastern shore of TX?
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Go away, Gustav! UPDATE: need advice!!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 09:28:06 pm »
AAAGGGHH!! So, there is a mandatory evacuation of Houma beginning tomorrow at 4pm. I still don't want to leave, and by now there are no hotels available - especially ones that will take pets.

What do I do???? I'd really like to stay and help at the emergency pet shelter here, but I don't want to put my own pets in danger either. I still don't think it's going to be any bigger than a cat. 3 and it's not projected to hit us directly, but we'll be on the east side of it, which is the strong side.

I need advice...

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:33 pm »
Don't know anyone in MS. We could go to Houston to Aaron's mom's house, but Aaron doesn't want to get stuck in Houston if the storm turns more west.

Our evacuation plan as of right now - IF we go anywhere is to take both cars to my sister's in San Antonio, where we are supposed to be moving next Friday. Then, after the storm, we'd come back in one car and the dogs (I think my sister would take care of the cats) and continue the move.

But San Antonio is 8 hours away and that just seems like a lot of traveling back and forth.

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 04:33:07 pm »
Everyone stay safe! We live at the top of Mississippi and it really windy and cloudy at our house. We are suppose to only get lots of rain starting tomorrow night.

The last time I saw CNN with my Mom it was a Cat 1 which is better than 4 or 5!