Author Topic: Pics of pyrenees/artic wolf hybrid  (Read 13645 times)

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Pics of pyrenees/artic wolf hybrid
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:07:10 pm »
Romeo was a free "Great Pyrenees" 5 week old pup. He turned out to be a hybrid and we didn't know about it until he started to look a bit peculiar. He's 8 1/2 months old now. Here's some pics in case anyone is curious about what this combination looks like. If you look at him a certain way he looks like a Pyr and other ways as you can see, he looks like a wolf.

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Pics of pyrenees/artic wolf hybrid
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:11:20 pm »
Oops i posted the wrong pic. One of them was the dog several months back. He's grown a bit since then.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:58:59 am »
He's a big, beautiful boy!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:34:27 am »
WOW he's is beautiful! So which does his personality most resemble? ::)
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 01:20:29 pm »
OMG!!! I want one i want one i want one!!! He is soooo beautiful!!!  I'm curious too, which personality does he hold most?  Could you imagine a Pyr's intelligence with a wolf's cunning???  Almost scary.  Watch your credit cards, he may use them ;)

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 07:21:22 pm »
I did a little research and found out the ending of this dog/wolf hybrid story may not turn out so good. Seems the older they get the more wolf comes out although i could find no references of a mix of this type. He acts like a normal friendly Pyr so far. He has some of the Pyr herd instinct but has already mauled a mini-goat and killed some chickens.  What i have is a herd dog that herds them up and then tries to eat them. Loves to chase armadillos! He does the Pyr "big paw swipe" sometimes but not so much as he gets older. He doesn't wander away from home like a Pyr. The tail hangs down a lot of the time instead of curling up over the back. He has a feriocious digging instinct which i understand is a wolf trait. The back yard has craters everywhere. He gets bored easily and chews up anything not tied down. Plays well with the other dogs except the play fights with the pit bull almost get out of hand sometimes. Another thing i have noticed that i didn't on the other Pyrs is the dog laying on his back and acting submissive whenever i come around like i am the alpha male. He has a mouthful of long sharp teeth and the pit bull after playing looks like it has been through a shredder sometimes. In other words, wolf teeth not Pyr teeth. I have to keep him regardless of how he turns out because i found out that i pretty much couldn't give him away because of what he is and dog pounds won't take wolf mixes. In other words if he turns out bad he will have to be destroyed. I don't even want to think about that.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 01:28:53 pm »
I'm curious as to why you think he is mixed with wolf?  Did someone point you in this direction?  I'm not doubting it could be a possibility, but couldn't he just as easily be mixed with siberian husky or malamute, which are often mistaken for wolves by the general public?

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:21:40 pm »
Pyrs are not herders they are livestock guardians.  Also not all pyrs make good LGDs which yours obviously isn't but that's okay.  I don't know if that's what your intentions were when you got him but it would have been important to research breeders who have great success producing working dogs and could help you with training.  It sounds like you are just looking for a home protector and burglar alarm anyway so no biggie there.  I would keep him on leash around the chickens for now.

What you're describing so far doesn't seem like wolf behaviour to me but more a young dog who is out of control.

Pyrs dig just ask some of the pyr owners on this list. Also, dogs that are allowed to play fight to the point of getting to a very high state of arousal IS out of hand.  Some supervision from you and he should be able to get over that.  I have three males who would play rough if allowed to and during adolescence I am around to make sure they play fair and give time outs if needed. 

At 9 months old now he may not be wandering yet but he WILL. 

This age is tough.  It takes A LOT of work for the first two years to have an amazing dog.  You can get there but I fear that his "wolf traits" will be used kind of like an excuse for poor behaviour and training on your part.  If you work hard and he turns out to be more than you can handle at least you tried your hardest to give him a great life.

Good luck, I give you all my best.

http://www.gpcgc.org/pyrforme.htm