Author Topic: *Diamond Lamb and Rice dog food?  (Read 8400 times)

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
*Diamond Lamb and Rice dog food?
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:56:56 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am switching dog food do to my Akita is a very picky eater......LOL! :) My black lab is not so know problem with her! :)

So i am wanting to Switch to Diamond Lamb and Rice dry dog food is this a good healthy switch?
I have heard it is highly recommended and some people said i should make the switch so i just wanted to get you guys thoughts on this if you feed this Diamond Lamb and Rice dry dog tell me how your dogs do on it! :) THANKS!

And also i have a friend with a Mini schnauzer and a Beagle do you think this dog food is good for a Mini schnauzer and a Beagle as well?

Well thanks so much! :)

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: *Diamond Lamb and Rice dog food?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:23:33 am »
Diamond has a "Naturals" lamb and rice that would probably be a better choice.  I personally don't feed Diamond but a friend of mine does and has great results

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 07:02:23 am »
I was under the impression that a lamb and rice diet should be used only in cases of allergy exclusion diets and should not be the main protein in any diet.
This whole feeding your four legged fur kid is harder than feeding my 2 legged skin kids!!!!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Mag Mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
I feed my Choc. lab as well as my beagle mix dog Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice and they are super healthy and have beautiful coats.
I have found this to be a great affordable food.  I fed the lab the puppy variety when she was a pup and has thrived.  Everyone comments on her muscle tone, shinny coat and white teeth.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »
Thanks Holly for the clarification and Jean as well.  I have avoided it and will continue to avoid it in our kibble rotation.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »
You ask "is this a healthy switch" but this question is impossible to answer unless we know what you're switching from.  It could be a step up or a step down, depending on what you've been feeding.

I assume that the formula you're referring to is one of the Diamond Naturals formulas that patrick mentions, just because I don't know of a lamb and rice formula in the regular Diamond line.  If there is one, I would not feed it, though.  The regular Diamond foods are nothing but by-products and fillers.  The Diamond Naturals line is considerably better.  I would classify the Naturals formulas as OK and the regular Diamond as No Way.  On a scale of 1 to 10, regular Diamond is a 2, while the Diamond Naturals are about a 6.  You could do much better, but for the price, Diamond Naturals are not bad.

HI EVERYONE!!

Thanks for the comments and advice on this about the Diamond dog food well I have been feeding my dogs Eukanuba but Porscha my akita does not eat it so i switched to Beneful and Porscha wont eat that either now Mercedes does not care what she eats she will eat any food! lol! But now i have both of my dogs on Pedigree and Porscha eates it so i have been on that for awhile now and i know it is graded bad but this is the only thing she will eat. She has been on Pedigree for about 4 months and has done great on it but here in the past two weeks she has stopped eating it. So i have to add stuff to the food like gravy and just differant stuff so she will eat it! So i have read that Diamond food has meat so i think she will eat it! So does anyone think Diamond dry dog food is good?

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 07:19:34 am »
your Akita sounds a bit like my akita, Kira.  Picky as they want to be.  I just have to rotate her kibble to keep her interest in her food.  Luckily she doesnt have a sensitive tummy, however I have to be careful of the grain content(i.e., no corn or wheat) or we will be in hotspot Heck with fur tumbleweeds all over the house!
I have switched her to a grain free kibble and rotate it with other grain free kibble when she snubs it.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
Beta fish-Mak