Author Topic: Article in Newsday about "core" vaccines  (Read 13593 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Article in Newsday about "core" vaccines
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2005, 01:33:47 am »
I am sorry about the puppy...too bad...  My vet also said the nutrition has a lot to do with their immunity..Barf or raw fed dogs seem to do much better with illnesses or any assault to their immune system....

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2005, 03:07:03 pm »
Araby is VERY sensitive to Vaccines.  I think she's gotten a reaction to everything we've ever given her.  Because of this I want to Titer my dogs.  Well the vet that we're going to right now (Trust me I'm looking at other Vets.  Matt likes this one because it's "Exclusive".  Forget that it's 45 minutes from the house, over priced ($75 for a worming!?!?!?!?!) and the vets are all nasty) anyways the vet we're going to now tells me that Titers are ILLEGAL!!!!!!  She's full of BS, but she won't do it and she says she's going to report us to animal control if we don't get the dogs Vacc'd. 

Araby isn't due for anything (According to me) but they want to vacc her for Lyme (Which she got from the vac) Bordtella (Which she got from the Vac) Lepto (Which I had them give to her in a single shot and she had to stay at the vets overnight because she was puking), Parvo (She's 3 why does she need a shot against a puppy disease?) and Distemper.  Hobo's only a year, so he'll be getting his 3 year Rabies and that's all I want him to have, but they want him to have boosters then too.

If you Google "Vaccinosis" you'll come up with tons of sites.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2005, 04:00:20 pm »
Your vet is full of poop.....total ly agree with you !!!!  GREAT idea to change vets!  I'd LOVE to go nose to nose with her on this....titers ILLEGAL????  You've got to be kidding!!!  Yeah, for Rabies, it probably is!  but not for all the other stuff!  SHEESH!!!!  Have Matt spend some time on this site and he'll get educated!  Every vet that we've worked with has been kind, understanding, gentle and puts the animal's well-being first...or we don't go back!!!!

I had a vet once who worked with my first Newf who had a foxtail in his paw and the vet's hands shook so badly and he was sweating so much, I realized he was afraid of big dogs!  We  found someone who LOVES the giants!  Keep looking, you'll find a good one!!!!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2005, 09:17:16 pm »
oh that is a bad bad vet.....  Switch vets fast....run... .  Titers are great.  My vet said that she will write a letter and titer for rabies if there is any small reaction to the rabies vacc...She does have to tell me that the law says I have to get the rabies every 3 years but if I follow it or not is my business....

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2005, 11:51:36 am »
I found a great vet, they did the ER work on Sanity when he had his allergic reaction.  It's still far away for me right now (I'm staying with my grandparents because of their health), but only 5-10 minutes away from our house in the city.  Now I've just got to convince Matt to go over there.  The thing is, he'll dwell on minor good things that happen, and ignore the HUGE bad things.  Just gonna take a bit to convince
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2005, 03:01:38 pm »
That's why we have the ability to nag....gently but consistantly!  It just gets easier to go along with what we want than continue to dig one's heels in over something as important as a vet decision.  You could go for the middle ground....just want a "second opinion".  The more compassionate vet would probably win him over!