Author Topic: My Service dog  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Heartdog

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My Service dog
« on: September 07, 2008, 03:25:58 pm »
Hi everyone. Just joined here. I have a GSD working dog, who's my Service dog, and a Therapy dog, that I trained myself. We also have a CGC and a CD. Was doing agility and Schutzhund, when Borias injured his back, and got a slipped disk a couple years ago. He had a laminectomy just after Christmas in 06.
Sadly, his symptoms returned, either from scar tissue, or instability in the surgical area.

Anyone else have similar issues? It comes and goes, and recently I was starting to feel better when he had three good months of no symptoms or anything, then he went and jumped off a high dog wash tub...after that, he was having some pain again :( He's scuffing his nails down in the back, too. I'm trying to get help so I can get an MRI and find out what's going on, through Ortho Dogs Silver Lining Foundation. He has a profile up on their pets in need page.
http://oslf.org/petsneed.htm

It could be worse, I'm sure, but it's hard to not let him try to pull my wheelchair, and do his job. I'm interested in acupuncture to maybe help this, but that's expensive here, too. He does see a chiropractor, and that's great for him.

If anyone wants to "meet" Borias, he has a blog at http://myheartdog.com!

Tami and Borias

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: My Service dog
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:33:28 pm »
Welcome!! Borias is gorgeous - he has such an expressive face. You're going to love it here. I've heard great things about acupuncture and, if one of my dogs was experiencing back pain, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

Let us know how he improves.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: My Service dog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:15:03 pm »
Welcome to the board.  Borias is a gorgeous GSD.  I also got to say that I liked your blog too.  Hope he starts feeling better soon.

I'm Kat and my crew is listed below.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience