Author Topic: Trimming Double Dews  (Read 10651 times)

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Trimming Double Dews
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:04:42 am »
Lia is an absolute sweetheart of a dog.  She is so incredibly gentle and other than a few intense fears she came with, such as the vacuum, clipping her nails and checking her ears, she lets me do pretty much anything to/for her. 

I thought I had been making slow headway with her allowing me to clip her nails but her double dews seem to be her deal breaker.  I'm assuming she may have caught them at some point because she is absolutely terrified to let me clip those nails.  I have been trying to handle her double dews gently when cuddling though the minute I get close with the clippers, she has a melt down and even tries to nip me - something she never does any other time. 

Lia is not very treat motivated though cheese has worked for the other nails.  She is probably part Pyr and part Tibetan Mastiff and her double dews are higher, more floppy and different from those on full pyrs.  I don't want them to be removed but the nails must be kept short.  Any advice or suggestions???

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Trimming Double Dews
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:37:55 am »
I think you are right, Juju.  On each double dew set of hers, one feels articulated like a pyr and the other sticks straight out at a 90 degree angle to her leg.  Is that usual in a pyr?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:45:18 am »
A lot of Pyrs don't like for dew claws to be touched and because they are so thick it is really hard to cut them.
Lily doesn't really mond for nails to be clipped by hates when I touch the claws...I end up dremmeling them. It's much easier  ;) :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:14:32 am »
Chammie (finally) let me clip her's this weekend!  It took me a year and a half to get her to let me. She does let the groomer, the vet, anyone in a "formal" setting clip them. I can even clip them at the groomers. She just doesn't let me at home. I don't know why.  I think those little dew claws are just more scary for some reason and they protect them more.

I had the same experience--Jenny would let the groomer do it, but not me, until this weekend--I will have had her a year next month, so it took some time. I would recommend having a groomer do it until she will let you do it safely.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:13:06 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I thought about a dremmel but Lia is so afraid of motor noises like that.  I think I will just keep touching them every day so she learns that I won't hurt her. 

Am I the only one who could not get back on the BPO site until now?  I'm so glad to be back....

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:00:13 pm »
Ursa doesn't like for her feet to be touched much (we're working on that) but really hates for me to touch her dew claws.  The vet did them when she was spayed but she needs a touch up.  I'm a big stickler for nice nails though!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:07:41 pm »
Can anyone post a picture of a close-up double dew?  I'm just wondering if all pyr double dews stick straight out like Lia's. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:12:13 pm »
I will try to get a photos but Penny as one that sticks straight out.  It makes it a little hard in showing since it makes her rear gait look much closer that it is due to the 2" the claw sticks out.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 03:56:36 pm »
Thanks, Lisa.  You sure have quite a crew there with you!   That's lots of white fluff!!!!  Do you have it spun into yarn?

I tried taking pictures of Lia's double dews today but they did not come out.

Thanks for all of the replies.  It helps to know that the dews are very sensitive for most pyrs....

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 05:26:44 am »
Funny you should say that I have a 55gal trash can full that I am going to have made into yarn. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)