Author Topic: OH NO!!! I just did something horrible!!! :(  (Read 4943 times)

DenverFurKiddos

OH NO!!! I just did something horrible!!! :(
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:51:06 pm »
Ok, I officially feel like the worst mamma.   Champ, Winston, and I were on our way out for a walk.  I quickly checked Champ- no shock collar.  I check Winston....no collar....or so I thought.  :(  We often don't keep them on when they're in the house, so I didn't think twice about it. 

So, I open the door, the boys run out, Winston runs right through the invisible fence and it starts to zap him.  In my panic and surprise, I run over to him (instead of pulling him back in), he sits (as it continues to shock, I suppose), then I PULL him back into the boundary, as I thought that would be faster.  My heart was pounding, I was totally panicked, and he looked terrified.  All in all, it was probably the longest 5 seconds of my life.

But, now, Winston is TERRIFIED of going for a walk. We tried to coax him yesterday, but didn't push it.  Today, I tried yummy treats, gradually taking a step back each time...but he'll only go so far.  I tried going out a different door.  I tried putting him in my car and driving down the street. 

I feel terrible.  The worst part about it is that I don't feel like he trusts me anymore. :'(  And, given all that he's been through in  his short life, that's the part that hurts the most. 

Any advice?

DenverFurKiddos

Re: OH NO!!! I just did something horrible!!! :(
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:54:59 pm »
Thanks for the advice....toda y is day three, so we just played in the yard.  Our neighbor just got a new little lab puppy, so I took Champ over to welcome him to the hood.  I thought that might be something to entice Winston; but, he refused to leave the garage.  Instead, he just sat and whined.  :(  On a positive note, we're hoping to take him swimming and boating tomorrow...so, at least he'll have a great weekend!  I'll let you know how it goes!

DenverFurKiddos

OH NO!!! I just did something horrible!!! :( * UPDATE! *
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 03:38:50 pm »
YYEESSSS!!  Winston and I made progress today!  Winston's anxiety only grew since my last post (he refused to get out of the car anywhere in the neighborhood. Would urinate when he thought we would go on walk).  I had tried on several occasions to little by little coax him further down the drive way.  But, today he did it!!!!  I totally took it for granted how great it is to just walk out the door and go for a walk! Yay! Go Winston! 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:39:33 pm by IndyFurKiddos »

angelsmama

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 03:45:27 pm »
yay winston :D ;D

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:29:09 am »
Congratulation s! Way to go Winston!  :-*
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven