Author Topic: Kate's not having the greatest time right now...need advice please!  (Read 7120 times)

k2campbell

Kate didn't do well at all with the whole Canidea formula change. She had the runs for a week, she would go IN THE HOUSE in the middle of the night. So, we switched her to California Natural a couple of weeks ago. She seemed to do well on it. She was acting like her old self again, poop was more formed, no more incidents in the house...etc.

Well on the weekend I found what (looks to me) like a hotspot on the inside of one of her legs (I attached a pic below). We have a homemade hibitane scrub here for hotspots from our vet, so have been using that and it seems to be shrinking the spot and it's no longer bothering her. But ever since Sunday Kate has been itching like crazy...all over. We examined her well...doesn't appear to be any sort of rash on her skin, coat isn't flaking or anything, no sign of any fleas/ticks. So I'm thinking it's a reaction to the food?

Today Eric is going to stop and pick up new food for Kate...any suggestions? We thought the California Natural would work as it was the closest to the old Canidea formula, oh well. I'm thinking Innova Large Breed Adult...any other suggestions?  ???

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Kate's not having the greatest time right now...need advice please!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:19:23 am »
Poor Kate  :(
You could try canadian Orijen food. Lily LOVES it!!!
I swtiched her cold turkey from Nature's Variety Instict and she didn't have any issues at all.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:21:19 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:21 am »
mine all love orijen and no problems with it

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:13:04 am »
Poor Kate! and damn Canidae. >:(

Ditto on the suggestion of Orijen. Bubba has an insanely sensitive tummy and he's doing well on it. Another option would be Horizon Legacy. Both Canadian and grain free. I rotate between them and Bubba has no problems at all switching between the 2.

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:37:44 am »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate ALL of your suggestions so far! ;D

I do have one question on the Orijen...isn't it high in protein? I looked online and it showed 42% for the adult formula? Kate is used to about 26% so that's quite a change...just don't know about that ???

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:25 am »
I have had my 2 on Innova regular and Innova Evo and they have done well on it.  I recently switched them to Wellness Core because I can get it at Petco and the kennel I was getting the Innova from, I am not sure if they are reopened yet. 

Give Kate a big hug for me.  Being itchy and pooy just isn't any fun.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 01:19:42 pm »

I do have one question on the Orijen...isn't it high in protein? I looked online and it showed 42% for the adult formula? Kate is used to about 26% so that's quite a change...just don't know about that ???
It will be a change meaning she will be eating much less food. Lily is 80 lbs and eats 2 cups a day. One 30 lbs bag lasts more that two months. The dog loves it and it smells so good that I would eat it myself  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 01:41:05 pm »

It will be a change meaning she will be eating much less food. Lily is 80 lbs and eats 2 cups a day. One 30 lbs bag lasts more that two months. The dog loves it and it smells so good that I would eat it myself  ;D

Ahhhhhh...I see, well thanks for that info! ;) Eric picked up a bag of Wellness for now, we'll give that a shot and see how it goes. It was the closest to the old recipe Canidea he could find (minus California Naturals of course). I will look into the Orijen more...Wellnes s CORE and Evo too. We only bought a small bag of the Wellness for now... ;)