Author Topic: Mastiff tail wacking  (Read 9340 times)

Offline AuntDude

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Mastiff tail wacking
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:59:56 pm »
Hello--

I'm new to your site and have a serious question about my bullmastiff.  Ginger is a year and a half and a beauty.  Love her to death but as most everyone knows--her tail might be considered a lethal weapon.  She keeps wacking it on everything and has opened up the tip of it. She marks her territory with blood marks all over the walls, fence, my husband's shirts, etc.  I've put wraps around it but she immediately chews them off. I've tried putting a halo around her head but she runs into everything.  I invite any and all remedies for her. Nothing will be ignored.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mastiff tail wacking
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:44:12 pm »
I haven't experienced this with my two but I have a friend who's lab almost had to have an amputation due to this problem. I will check to see what worked for them, until then you should post some pics ;)

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:15:50 am »
My aunt had a 120 lb lab named Bo and his tail was a WMD!!!  When she would come in town we had to clear everything off tables, counters etc..  She ended up having to dock his tail for the same reason.  He was such a happy excitable dog that he would hit it on the wall or their fence and split the poor thing.  Oh, it was miserable.  once they docked it they never had a problem.  Sometimes Bo would look behind him, i think it was "phantom tail", lick something that wasn't there and then walk away :) :)  So, docking a bull mastiff's tail would be really sad :( but if its what your girl needs, thats what she needs.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:13:59 am »
I had this problem with Gunther not that long ago.  The tip of his tail opened up. 

To keep it on his tail, I wrapped it, then used duct tape to keep it on (being on the end of his tail it would just fly off when he wagged it).  Be sure to use cotton padding, I used gauze and wrap that a few times around before putting vetwrap on it (the colored elasticy wrappings).  The duct tape would wear off after a couple of days and we would then rewrap.

And I do recommend putting some kind of antibiotic on it.  Once wrapped, you could try putting some bitter apple on it to keep her from chewing on it.

jesday

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:49:06 am »
I'm not sure how severe the opening is, but has anyone tried the liquid band aide? It's kind of like an antiseptic glue? Without a bandage to tear off perhaps the wound would have time to heal while being sealed at the same time to keep out infection.

I've never heard of using this product on a dog, but my little brain just got to thinking. Maybe ask your vet? Good luck with your girl. Kind of hard to teach your Ginger to act a little more gingerly ;)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:08:39 pm »
I had a foster once who had a serious case of "happy tail" just like your baby.  Like MstiffOverload said, we put ointment on it, then gauze, then cotton padding and taped all of that into place (have to put a little tape on the fur or the whole deal will fly off everytime he wags).  Then we would wrap the tail a little over 3/4's of the way up with vet wrap and tape the vet wrap into place in a random spot or two.  We did this twice a day for two or three weeks. 

My vet highly recommended amputation but we felt that would decrease his chances for adoption (he was a very large black dog so he wasn't number one on the adoption list to start with). 

Good luck - happy tail is one of those injuries that's a real challenge to heal up.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us